Toxic shrimp cocktail, anyone?

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Link to original article.

""All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others." So claimed Napoleon the pig in George Orwell's classic novel Animal Farm. Napoleon could well have been talking about the differences between farmed and wild-caught shrimp.

David HadleyMuch like other farming practices, traditional aquaculture goes back thousands of years. Early shrimp farmers developed a balanced ecosystem where small numbers of shrimp coexisted in ecological harmony with other fish species. This type of early fish farming could yield about 200 kilograms of shrimp per acre in a good year.

Today, high global demand for shrimp has led to the conversion of rice fields, salt beds and fishponds for industrial shrimp farms. According to a report by the U.S. public interest organization Food & Water Watch, today's corporate-run shrimp operations can produce more than 40,000 kilograms per acre. That's 200 times more shrimp per acre than the small traditional farms produced. As with many other industrial animal-farming operations, our ability to purchase this inexpensive food comes with hidden costs to our health and the environment.

Most industrial-scale shrimp producers rely on large doses of antibiotics and pesticides to reduce diseases and parasites in overcrowded shrimp pools. Although it is illegal for North American shrimp farmers to use antibiotics to control disease, it is not illegal in many other parts of the world. Most shrimp found in restaurants and grocery stores is mass-produced by numerous overseas suppliers. We rarely know where the shrimp we are eating has been farmed. The result is that we ingest an invisible shrimp cocktail of chemicals"

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Maybe eating the treated shrimp will kill the e coli they are grown in, a self cleansing experience......

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Still sore I mentioned your poor hygiene habits? :killingme

Your use of the word 'still' would imply, quite incorrectly, that anything your juvenile clown self posts would have the slightest chance of gaining more than a derisive sneer from me; more often an open laugh.:howdy:

Go eat some shrimp. And I hear they go really good with cantaloupe...eat some of those too.

Last edited:

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
nhboy doesn't usually report on rumors but it has been bandied about that Gilligan's lungs are the only human excretory organs requiring their own MSDS.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
nhboy doesn't usually report on rumors but it has been bandied about that Gilligan's lungs are the only human excretory organs requiring their own MSDS.

Oh save me from laughing myself to death. :confused:

You really should take Vrai's flaming course. Even if you only audit the course, I'm sure we'll see massive improvement in short order. You have nowhere to go but 'up'.

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
Gilligan you poor sap. OK, you win, I won't mention your pungent breath in this post again. :dye:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Gilligan you poor sap. OK, you win, I won't mention your pungent breath in this post again. :dye:

Take the course you moron...take it before you post again or your status as forum idiot (and very ghey person) will be set in stone. :howdy:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I can see you are distressed so I'll keep my promise. :killingme

:killingme:killingme No..you cannot see me and you've never seen me distressed. That an illiterate, inarticulate and unemployed post troll would be able to 'distress' anyone is laughable.

If you took vrai's flaming course, you might - emphasis on the 'might' - be able to craft an effective 'zinger' some day. But you will need to pay very close attention in class and not show up buzzed.

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
No..you cannot see me and you've never seen me distressed. That an illiterate, inarticulate and unemployed post troll would be able to 'distress' anyone is laughable.

If you took vrai's flaming course, you might - emphasis on the 'might' - be able to craft an effective 'zinger' some day. But you will need to pay very close attention in class and not show up buzzed.

Goodness me, Perhaps I should have described you as a "disturbed simpleton with pungent breath" Would that have been more appropriate? :dye:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Goodness me, Perhaps I should have described you as a "disturbed simpleton with pungent breath" Would that have been more appropriate? :dye:

Not making the slightest progress there, boy. Sorry.

I've been asked by more than one why it is that you have such a bizarre fixation on some imagined bodily function. I tell 'em its just how some gay people manifest their desires. See?..I'm even making excuses for you. The pity is manifest.

SamSpade

And here I thought this thread was going to be about how great the shrimp are to eat in the newly polluted Gulf of Mexico. Hmm, shrimp tainted with antibiotics, or oil sludge? Tough choice.