Stray Friendly Young Boxer - HELP PLEASE

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I was notified about a stray, friendly young boxer that is hanging out at a local business in P G County. If I go get it, can a rescue or someone else take it from me? I'd be happy to transport to you, or meet you part way.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Update - I just talked to someone at the business that said the dogs eye is injured. Said it looks like someone tried to shove a stick in his eye. Not sure why he described it that way. He couldn't talk long - I'll know more when I pick up the dog this afternoon.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Very energetic as most boxer-types are. Has a serious eye issue (blind it appears in 1 eye) although the vet said it may be a prior eye surgery gone bad? Long tail and floppy ears.

He was frightened of the vet and we didn't get him muzzled to get the eye looked at more closely (he became defensive). Vet didn't think it was a fresh injury or that he needed antibiotics.

He does not have a microchip (he was jumpy about the scanner). He has been reported to animal control as "found".

Here are his pictures....

Attachments

• boxer1.jpg
    boxer1.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 299
  • boxer2.jpg
    boxer2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 298

Roman

Very energetic as most boxer-types are. Has a serious eye issue (blind it appears in 1 eye) although the vet said it may be a prior eye surgery gone bad? Long tail and floppy ears.

He was frightened of the vet and we didn't get him muzzled to get the eye looked at more closely (he became defensive). Vet didn't think it was a fresh injury or that he needed antibiotics.

He does not have a microchip (he was jumpy about the scanner). He has been reported to animal control as "found".

Here are his pictures....

Could it be Cherry Eye? He looks very healthy otherwise. That eye almost looks like it was deflated some how. Maybe congenital?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Do you have access to Facebook? I can give you some great Boxer Rescue sites and you can post the pictures and your contact information.

I can post the pics/info for you if you pm me your contact info and any other pertinent info about the dog.

Last edited:

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Do you have access to Facebook? I can give you some great Boxer Rescue sites and you can post the pictures and your contact information.

I can post the pics/info for you if you pm me your contact info and any other pertinent info about the dog.

The vet contacted one of his boxer contacts. We are awaiting a call back to see if that person will take him. I'll wait until later in the day to see if that person calls the vet back.

He is defensive, but not aggressive at all. He has fear issues as if someone has been mean to him. He's very energetic and wants to jump ON people. He does not respond to the typical obedience commands.

He acted like he did not know how to step up into a car. I had to pull him up, he was better the next time after the vet visit.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Could it be Cherry Eye? He looks very healthy otherwise. That eye almost looks like it was deflated some how. Maybe congenital?

The vet said it looks like a surgical procedure had been done, but that it wasn't done well.

One of the guys who played fetch with him as a stray (just heard from him) said the dog did "sit" and "stay" for him. So he apparently he does have some training? Hmmm.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
The vet said it looks like a surgical procedure had been done, but that it wasn't done well.

One of the guys who played fetch with him as a stray (just heard from him) said the dog did "sit" and "stay" for him. So he apparently he does have some training? Hmmm.

they must had tried to fixed the cherry eye before.... there are many times it does not work... and it pops out again.

:shrug:... looks like a cherry eye.
will need another fix

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
they must had tried to fixed the cherry eye before.... there are many times it does not work... and it pops out again.

:shrug:... looks like a cherry eye.
will need another fix

Poor baby. With that opening like that, I bet debris gets in there?

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Are you fostering him, Ark?

At the moment he's at my place in a 5x10 metal kennel run with a dog house. I don't think it's a good place for him to be in the rain though.

We have not heard from the lady who was called by the vet about taking him, so I guess I need to find some place for him to go?

No one from animal control has called to say he's been reported lost either.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Still no call from Animal Control regarding the "found" report I filed with them on Monday about this sweet boxer boy. I just called and left a 2nd message about this boy in case they didn't get the 1st message I left on Monday. He's not fond of dry food, but he will eat it if I put moist food on top.

I will post a sign in the area where he was found. He was there running loose at that business from Sat-Monday. If someone shows up asking about the dog at that business, they have my phone number to call me.

He will not potty in the kennel run. I realized that when I didn't see anything in there yesterday afternoon to clean up, so I took him for a walk into the grass and he did his potty business right away! Wow, he is housebroken very well it appears and didn't want to potty in the kennel run.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Still no call from Animal Control regarding the "found" report I filed with them on Monday about this sweet boxer boy. I just called and left a 2nd message about this boy in case they didn't get the 1st message I left on Monday. He's not fond of dry food, but he will eat it if I put moist food on top.

I will post a sign in the area where he was found. He was there running loose at that business from Sat-Monday. If someone shows up asking about the dog at that business, they have my phone number to call me.

He will not potty in the kennel run. I realized that when I didn't see anything in there yesterday afternoon to clean up, so I took him for a walk into the grass and he did his potty business right away! Wow, he is housebroken very well it appears and didn't want to potty in the kennel run.

Kennel run? Is he outside?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Yup he is.

Animal control just called to say they don't have a lost report matching his description, but will let me know if they get one.

Boxers are not outside dogs and don't do well in a kennel situation. You've already said he has some problems with being timid. The longer he's kenneled, the worse this will get. Please consider allowing me to help you place him with a Boxer rescue where he can live inside a home and get the medical help he needs. He will also be evaluated to decide what would be a good fit for a forever home.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Boxers are not outside dogs and don't do well in a kennel situation. You've already said he has some problems with being timid. The longer he's kenneled, the worse this will get. Please consider allowing me to help you place him with a Boxer rescue where he can live inside a home and get the medical help he needs. He will also be evaluated to decide what would be a good fit for a forever home.

That would be great if you can help him. I just don't have the indoor facilities for him, and do know that dogs like boxers are not outside dogs by any means. I usually don't take dogs, but someone I know called me and we didn't want to see him go to the shelter. THANKS :love:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I will get in touch with my Boxer rescue contacts. I'll need you to PM me your contact information so they can contact you directly.

Thanks!

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I will get in touch with my Boxer rescue contacts. I'll need you to PM me your contact information so they can contact you directly.

Thanks!

Thanks - I think forgot to mention that I found out last night the person the vet contacted said they couldn't take the dog.