“St. Mary’s Hear and Now”

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
What is it like to be African American at St. Mary’s College, and in St. Mary’s County? If you are white, what would you like to ask a black student? Why can it be so difficult to talk about race?

Award-winning playwright Caleen Sinnette Jennings interviewed about 50 faculty, alumni, staff, and students on the black experience and then folded their answers into a collage of voices, images, and dance. “St. Mary’s Hear and Now” will be performed at Bruce Davis Theater in Montgomery Hall at 8 p.m. Wed.-Sat. Dec. 7-10 and at 2 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 11.

For reservations, contact the theater box office at 240-895-4243 or email boxoffice(at)smcm.edu.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
That's kind of offensive. Im sorry but I am not afraid of asking anyone a question anytime no matter the race. And the insinuation that a white student would have some sort of burning question to ask another student because of their race is unnerving. Way to perpetuate racism and stereotypes SMCM :yay:

I sincerely hope that whoever wrote that blurb has no connection to the performance itself and misrepresented it. Because while I am keenly interested in hearing stories and experiences of others, I have no interest in watching everyone waiting with bated breath to see what remarkably insensitive and subtly racist utterance that could come out of a white audience member's mouth that supports their obv untutored view.

thurley42

HY;FR
That's kind of offensive. Im sorry but I am not afraid of asking anyone a question anytime no matter the race. And the insinuation that a white student would have some sort of burning question to ask another student because of their race is unnerving. Way to perpetuate racism and stereotypes SMCM :yay:

:yeahthat: