If Bush were a Woman?

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
Not that this particularly falls into the category of a dire political discussion...but I just thought it would be interesting to speculate as to the nature of political sexism. Keeping in mind that I am a card carrying Republican, do forgive the biases.

Is our society too pre-occupied with classifications? These aren't just political, but involve race, gender, appearance, nationality, which STATE one is from, and a plethora of others.....but if politics is the child of law, and justice is supposed to be blind, why do these things play so heavily into our political system?

Take, for instance, Hillary Clinton---Why do we (speaking generally for most conservatives) dislike her? Is it because of her politcal policies? Her personal attributes? Her bad hair? Or is it the fact that she's a "she", and we as a traditionalist majority can't get past 6000 years of male dominated societal restrictions? Conversely, is this the very reason that many liberals support her?

And what about George W. Bush? Hypothetically speaking, if all of his policies and everything else were the same---but he were a woman, would we as conservatives have supported his presidency? Personally, I doubt "she" would have even been elected.

Granted, this all springboards off of the issue of gender equality in the nation, but what are your thoughts?
:confused:

And supposing you need a mental image, here you go:

What if?

:twitch:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Originally posted by Club'nBabySeals
Take, for instance, Hillary Clinton---Why do we (speaking generally for most conservatives) dislike her?
I dislike her because she's a liberal and a corrupt, unethical person. I have no respect for her and no desire to see her in public office because she's already shown the world that she'll do just about anything to get and retain power. I dislike her nasty husband for the same reasons.

I'll be the first to admit I don't want a chick President. Unless it's me. :lol: I think a woman wouldn't reflect the kind of authority we need, as a nation, to deal with the male-centric countries that are giving us a problem. They wouldn't take her seriously unless she did something right off the bat to establish dominance.

Toxick

Splat
Is our society too pre-occupied with classifications?

Yes. Way too preoccupied.

Witness Affirmative Action.

Take, for instance, Hillary Clinton---Why do we (speaking generally for most conservatives) dislike her? Is it because of her politcal policies? Her personal attributes? Her bad hair? Or is it the fact that she's a "she", and we as a traditionalist majority can't get past 6000 years of male dominated societal restrictions? Conversely, is this the very reason that many liberals support her?

First off, I don't dislike her. I don't even know her.

I do know that I don't like the vast majority of her political views. At least the ones she's any kind of vocal about. Plus there's that lingering cloud of corruption.

And what about George W. Bush? Hypothetically speaking, if all of his policies and everything else were the same---but he were a woman, would we as conservatives have supported his presidency? Personally, I doubt "she" would have even been elected.

Interesting question.

To make it hit closer to home - how many conservatives would vote for Condoleeza Rice. Her politics are close to Bush's. If not - why not?

Other side of the coin: Say someone like Rice, or another conservative woman ran for President as a Republican. Does anyone here think that, say, NOW would endorse her? After all they're a "Women's" organization - not idealogically driven.

:killingme

I almost made it through that last sentence with a straight face.

SamSpade

Pretty sure I'd vote for Rice - but vrai brings up a good point that a woman leader would have to show some brass early to let the world know she's no pushover. I think Condi Rice is too ladylike to be that way.

Hessian

Thatcher

I believe the Iron lady of Britain demonstrated great courage, propriety, leadership, resolution, and inspiring oratory.
If Condi were to make more public appearances...fitting nicely within the shadow of Thatcher: No hesitancy to give her my vote.

Hillary is shrill, deviant, manipulative, vulgar, spiteful...all the characteristics that cannot be tolerated in government.

Last edited:

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by vraiblonde
I think a woman wouldn't reflect the kind of authority we need, as a nation, to deal with the male-centric countries that are giving us a problem. They wouldn't take her seriously unless she did something right off the bat to establish dominance.

Nothing shows more authority or dominance than getting an intern to blow you in the oval office :biggrin: :killingme

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by SamSpade
Pretty sure I'd vote for Rice - but vrai brings up a good point that a woman leader would have to show some brass early to let the world know she's no pushover.

In my fantasy, Rice is elected president in 2004, she turns Venezuela into a fuel-air bomb deposit box, and drenched in blood, she holds up the big fat head of Hugo Chavez for the admiration of one and all, in true Xena Warrior Princess fashion.

The rest of the world's pucker factor is increased by two or three orders of magnitude. Jung-Il has a heart attack on the spot and dies - and is promptly buried under 45 tons of decaying dog####.

Was that over the top? I can never tell.

Originally posted by SamSpade
I think Condi Rice is too ladylike to be that way.

Maybe. She seems ambitious and aggressive to me. At least ambitious and aggressive enough to overcome any desire to be lady-like, should it come right down to brash tacks.

Last edited:

BuddyLee

Football addict
If Hillary Clinton is elected to even a VP position I will be forced to not vote for the President whom ever it might be. So far Kerry and Bush Haven't struck that voting nerve in me and as of right now I will be forced to go with the more intelligent figure in my mind being that of Nader.:smile:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child

There many be a few older conservatives who feel that way. But I guess most conservatives don't like Hillary because she comes across as full of herself, like it's all about Hillary.

Plus, some of her public statements have put down women who didn't make the same choices she did with their lives. I'm thinking of the "stand by your man" and "stay at home baking cookies" comments. It's like she can't picture women willingly choosing to be stay-at-home moms, as opposed to that role being imposed by domineering husbands or by societal restrictions.

I bet Hillary really believes that all her opponents are chauvinists, and that's sad. I wish more of her liberal supporters would realize that her self-obsession makes her a bad role model for women in politics. She doesn't have the laudable traits of confidence and assertiveness--she only seems that way because of her egotism and tactlessness.

Hessian

No Tonio...

More like...
"oh...where did these records come from???"
"Bill, those nuisances in the travel must go...fire them all NOW!"
"Gee, I really lucked out with that cattle futures stock didn't I?"
"Oh,..such a shame about Vince Foster...oh well, next?"

Yes..that is devious.
(Not psychosexual which fascinates you.)

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Re: No Tonio...

Originally posted by Hessian
Yes..that is devious.
(Not psychosexual which fascinates you.)

:lol: It doesn't fascinate me. I was just trying to get a laugh out of the Hillary-bashers. Devious and deviant don't mean the same thing. (Dave Barry moment: Wouldn't "The Psycho Sexuals" be a good name for a punk rock band?)

B

Bruzilla

One of the biggest irks that I had in the military was the way that senior officer's wives tended to think they had the same rights and entitlements as their husbands. They never served a day in uniform, yet wanted all manner of authority bestowed on them. I looked at Hillary Clinton the same way. If she wanted to be treated with the same respect and authority as her husband, she should have run for governor or president.

When I heard her and her ilk referring to "co-presidents", and saw her panting like a dog whenever someone asked about Bill winning the White House, I just about hurled.

For the record, if Condi Rice runs in 2008, she's got my vote.