Laser Cat Surgery

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Does anyone have experience with laser claw removal, and laser spaying? Other than the fact that it costs an extra $85 per surgery? As I understand it, the purpose of the laser is to reduce bleeding and expedite the healing process. Anyone with insight or success stories?

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Go for the lazer. It's not just vet hype to get you to spend more money. Well maybe with the spaying... But with declaws I would never go any other way. Old way of declwing was brutal. Cats were in serious pain for days. With a lazer they are literally up on their feet as soon as they wake up from anestisia. The lazer seals off blood vessles and nerve endings. If you're not going to use a lazer please please please reconsider even having your cat declawed. I haven't noticed to much difference in using a lazer to spay a cat. Once they get inside they have to use clamps and a scaple anyway. If you have a young cat ask about a "flank" spay instead of the usual "belly" cut. The flank is done on the side and the incision is much smaller and easier for the cat to handle.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
This was a little late, but I thought it might make for good conversation.

She was actually dropped off at the vets this morning, for both procedures using the laser. I was just hoping someone with a previous procedure could relate their experience. (Thank you!)

My old cat had the *real* surgery back in 1995 before laser was offered, and he made out fine. Unfortunately, the coolest cat on earth died suddenly in May. They kept him for 3 days back then, but the laser reduces that to a 1 night stay in the hospital.

Our new kitten is now old enough to be spayed and declawed, and today was her surgery day! When I heard about the laser option, and read about it online, I never really considered doing it the "old" way in spite of the price!

John Z

if you will
I wish more people would simply not declaw cats. Declawing, even with lasers (I can't help of thinking of Dr. Evil every time I say the work laser :biggrin: ), is the equivalent of removing the last segment of your finger. Sounds wonderful, doesn't it? Many cats have behavioral problems after being declawed.

If you provide scratching posts/pads, trim their nails weekly, and squirt them with a water bottle when they scratch your furniture, that should minimize that damage.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Well, I won't debate what it feels like to a cat. If you were a cat in a previous life, then I'm sure you know...

In a perfect world, I would agree that cats shouldn't be declawed. I'm glad you guys were able to avoid having to declaw. Unfortuntely I was just not that fortunate. Her claws have been trimmed weekly since the 2nd week of May when we got her. She uses the scratch pads that we have placed in 2 rooms. She gets squirted with the water bottle when she misbehaves and thinks some fixture or furniture is a tree. But, 3-1/2 months later, she's still doing the same thing so, bye-bye claws. I don't get mad at her for acting on her instinct and playfulness. But I can prevent her from tearing up my stuff in the process.

The good news is that she had the laser declaw on Wednesday and is walking around just fine. If her feet hurt, she doesn't act like it. And, she's the queen of the house, so don't spend a minute feeling sorry for her.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I was a vet tech for a few years and I don't see anything wrong w/ declawing a cat w/ a lazer. W/out yes is very painful I'll agree and shouldn't be done. Both of my cats were declawed with a lazer and were up on their feet as soon as they woke up from anestsia. The lazer seals blood vessels and nerve endings so there is very little to no pain at all. There is also no bleeding.

I only had the front claws removed on both of my cats and they still managed to put two good scratches in my leather sofa wih their back claws.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
We only declawed the destructive cats - we have two with no claws and one with. The one with is the littlest cat and the only female so it also gives her a fighting chance against the two bullies.
:lmao:

K

Kizzy

Wow! Laser surgery for pets.

Thanks for the insight. :cheers:

This is the first I have every heard of laser surgery on pets.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
They use the laser to make the incision, because it "seals blood vessels and nerve endings as it cuts" as Pixie mentioned.

Surgery was Wednesday, and she came home Thursday. She walked fine, but had a lot of swelling in her belly from the spay. After being a couch potato on Friday and Saturday, the swelling went down and by Sunday afternoon she was back to being a full-speed kitten. (Although she's supposed to "not get excited!" Tell me how to accomplish that with a 6 month old kitten!)

Today, there is very little swelling in her belly, and she hasn't indicated any pain from her declaw.

So, if you go with the laser spay, expect your kitty to be throttled back for about 4 days after surgery, and if you get the declaw, I'd say when the anesthesia wears off, s/he will be good to go!

The vet gave us some recycled newspaper pellets which she refused to use. But, shredded newspaper, and her regular litter in a ziploc bag in the bottom of the litterbox did the trick! Tomorrow night (7 days) it's back to the regular litter.