Hungry people in St. Marys County

MusicLadyMd

Hello all,
I recently found out that there are 1600 people who go to bed hungry in our county every day. 40% are children.

I have started a project that will allow us to help our local foodbank and soup kitchen feed these people.

In the next few days I want to share a few ideas that we can all pitch in to help.

There are FREE ways to help.

Today I want to share the first idea.

When you see BUY ONE GET ONE FREE at a local grocery store. BUY one for your family and donate the other FREE item to the food bank or soup kitchen.

The Good Samaritan Luthern Church takes donations anytime
it is located at 20850 Langely Rd in Lexington Park

You can call Rev. Dennis Allen there at 301-863-4740
Thanks for reading this

Wanda D:buddies:

ginwoman

Good idea Musiclady. I think my mom and I are going to Helping Hands in Hollywood to take some food today.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I call :bs:

There is NO way any child should go to bed hungry EVER.. There are entirely too many government programs that if they do go to bed hungry there is absolutely NOTHING we can do about it.

If they are school aged kids, they get both free breakfast AND lunch, and all that is left is dinner for the parent(s) to provide. (ALL children get free breakfast regardless of income). WIC is in place for younger children that provide enough per child to feed an entire family..

Welfare, Food stamps and other programs on top of that, the is NO way any child should be going to bed hungry. If after all this a child is still going to bed hungry the parents are probably abusing the system, and just not feeding their kids.

Last edited:

somdnanny1

There a several ways that children can go to bed hungry. The income levels at social services don't represent the real-life situations around here. Once rent has to be paid, utlities, and the other basics of life are paid there are often times for families around here (especially for single parents) where the parents make just over what social services says is allowable but there is barely money left to buy groceries. I've seen it. I lived it as a child, I am trying to help family going through this right now.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
Maybe if more of the CLUELESS were kicked off Social Service benefits, there would be more money to help the HELPLESS!!! :coffee:

Roman

Maybe if more of the CLUELESS were kicked off Social Service benefits, there would be more money to help the HELPLESS!!! :coffee:

I think that if a person is able bodied, they should work..plain & simple. But there are children that DO go to bed hungry, and that is discusting!

maxima87

Football Mom!!!
FYI itsbob - Breakfast is not free for every child in the school system.

Most elementary schools have free breakfast served in the classroom. Maybe it is only Title I...not sure? I know Ridge, Park Hall, Lex Pk., and Carver have it.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Depends on the school system

In OUR school system it is free for EVERY student regardless of income.
Actually, I think that you're wrong. There....I said it.

I think what is being doing in St. Mary's County, is that a few elementary schools have been selected to participate in a pilot program, providing free breakfast IN THE CLASSROOM to ALL students.

So, in short, SOME schools get FREE breakfasts, but not all do.

:biggrin:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I think that if a person is able bodied, they should work..plain & simple. But there are children that DO go to bed hungry, and that is discusting!

IF a child goes to bed hungry there are only one or two people to blame.. and that is the parent(s).

If you put your kids to bed hungry, then go outside to smoke a cigarette YOU are the problem.

If you've never had more than a minimum wage job but have 8 kids.. YOU are the problem..

If you have more beer than juice boxes in the fridge, YOU are the problem..

I'm sorry, maybe I'm not the norm anymore, but I would starve before my kids EVER went to bed hungry, and I would shovel #### to ensure they never had to.

Before I provide for someone else's kids they need to show me what they've done to provide for their own, and that doesn't mean showing how they fell through a gov't programs cracks.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Actually, I think that you're wrong. There....I said it.

I think what is being doing in St. Mary's County, is that a few elementary schools have been selected to participate in a pilot program, providing free breakfast IN THE CLASSROOM to ALL students.

So, in short, SOME schools get FREE breakfasts, but not all do.

:biggrin:

I thought it went county wide (St Mary's) this year. Last year was very limited but this year it was in all St Mary's schools..

But if I am wrong it's ok, it IS Dec 7th, and IF this is my one time a year, I only have a few weeks before I can be wrong again.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Before I provide for someone else's kids they need to show me what they've done to provide for their own, and that doesn't mean showing how they fell through a gov't programs cracks.

I was thinking something along the same lines.

WHY are the schools having to feed kids breakfast as well as lunch? And why ALL kids? Low income kids, okay, but ALL kids? That's ridiculous.

When do we start feeding them dinner as well? And maybe they could just sleep at school as well....

:banghead:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
I was thinking something along the same lines.

WHY are the schools having to feed kids breakfast as well as lunch? And why ALL kids? Low income kids, okay, but ALL kids? That's ridiculous.

When do we start feeding them dinner as well? And maybe they could just sleep at school as well....

:banghead:
Bubba gets beakfast at daycare, breakfast at his desk in the classroom at school, a mid-morning snack, lunch at school, and a snack at daycare. No wonder he rarely eats dinner in the evening...he's NOT hungry. :ohwell:

And we pay.

But the pisser is that if we didn't have money in his Cafe PrePay account, he'd get a cheese sammich for lunch. But if he were a low-income/free lunch kid, he'd get his normal lunchtime fare. Figure that one out, will ya'.

smibarines

Hello all,
I recently found out that there are 1600 people who go to bed hungry in our county every day. 40% are children.

I have started a project that will allow us to help our local foodbank and soup kitchen feed these people.

In the next few days I want to share a few ideas that we can all pitch in to help.

There are FREE ways to help.

Today I want to share the first idea.

When you see BUY ONE GET ONE FREE at a local grocery store. BUY one for your family and donate the other FREE item to the food bank or soup kitchen.

The Good Samaritan Luthern Church takes donations anytime
it is located at 20850 Langely Rd in Lexington Park

You can call Rev. Dennis Allen there at 301-863-4740
Thanks for reading this

Wanda D:buddies:

I'm sorry, Wanda D.

Someone should have warned you.

This is the wrong place to try to rally support for anything that might help others that are less fortunate. There is a small group here that will fervently jump on anyone that even brings up anything along those lines.

While yours is a great idea, a just and worthy cause and I commend you for helping the less fortunate; I doubt that this is the right place to ask for others to think about people besides themselves.