Shooting in St. Mary's

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Direct from the Sheriff's Dept:

At approximately 5:28 a.m. the St. Mary's County Emergency Communications Center received a call that there was a man with a gun at the Burke's Mobile Home Trailer Park. Trooper Matt Davis of the Maryland State Police was the first unit to arrive on the scene and shortly thereafter was joined by Deputy First Class Kevin Somerville of the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office. At 5:37 a.m. the St.
Mary's County Sheriff's Office Hostage Negotiators and Emergency Services Team was called to the scene. Upon their arrival a perimeter was established, all area business' and residents were evacuated and local roads were closed.

It was learned that a female victim Ayanna L. Taylor had been fatally shot by her boyfriend Joseph Herbert Smith Jr., 33 years old from Calvert County. Mr. Smith then took Delayla Taylor hostage and a stand off with police ensued. Efforts were made through family members and Negotiators of the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office to negotiate a peaceful ending. At 7:20 a.m. the suspect Mr. Smith spoke to a relative on the phone and claimed that he was going to come out and surrender. Mr. Smith then exited the trailer with what appeared to be a weapon in hand and began pointing it at officers on the scene. Mr. Smith refused orders to put the object down and was fatally shot. The object was later determined to be the barrel of the shotgun used to shoot victim Taylor. This incident is being investigated by the Bureau of Criminal Investigations and the St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office Internal Affairs Unit.

Another reason why this area sucks...
The Wawa on Great Mills road is infamous for Sherriff's and troopers going there for shoplifters, and other crap. St Mary's does indeed have it's "hot spots"... I'm glad I'm not in one of them.

D

darkriver4362

Hopefully the officer who pulled the trigger will keep his job, but everyones gonna be like ohh it was a barrell...good job officers:smile:

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Originally posted by SilverIntrepid
You know what that means... riots everywhere... someone is going to throw the "race card"... :boo:

Why? The boyfriend could have been white.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
And if he wasn't? :confused:

I was trying to be sarcastic, because it sounded like people were assuming that the guy was black. FWTW, I've been in Burke's a couple of times, and I've only seen white people.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Originally posted by Tonio
I was trying to be sarcastic, because it sounded like people were assuming that the guy was black. FWTW, I've been in Burke's a couple of times, and I've only seen white people.
The girlfriend was black.

D

darkriver4362

If there is riots, use up the stockpile of tear gas and bring out the stun guns.

Originally posted by Tonio
Well I wasn't trying to stir anything... I've been in this county for 5 yrs now, and I have seen worse.
Where exactly is Burke's at? It sounds familiar.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Well I wasn't trying to stir anything... I've been in this county for 5 yrs now, and I have seen worse.
Where exactly is Burke's at? It sounds familiar.

It's behind the Subway at 235 and 4, across from First Colony and the old Western Steer.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by vraiblonde
Direct from the Sheriff's Dept:

At 7:20 a.m. the suspect Mr. Smith spoke to a relative on the phone and claimed that he was going to come out and surrender. Mr. Smith then exited the trailer with what appeared to be a weapon in hand and began pointing it at officers on the scene. Mr. Smith refused orders to put the object down and was fatally shot.
I had just gotten up and was working on my first cup of java, when the siren at the firehouse on Chancellors Run Rd, went off.
I wonder if there was any relationship to the incident at that time?
Like a fatal shooting? Rescue ambulance?

It amazes the heck out of me why people have to resort to the use of firearms in a domestic dispute like this.
Maybe I don't get out often enough.

Sugarbritches

Before you jump to conclusions about any incident and cause problems from assumptions, get your facts straight please. I have family there and they know more than you do. You won't know the whole truth til they want you to know...when they want you know, then they will give you all the details.

Originally posted by Sugarbritches
Before you jump to conclusions about any incident and cause problems from assumptions, get your facts straight please. I have family there and they know more than you do. You won't know the whole truth til they want you to know...when they want you know, then they will give you all the details.
Simmer down there killer...
1.) How will we know unless we inquire?
2.) I'd like to know where NOT to go.

citysherry

I Need a Beer

Who is "they" - your family? the police?

Sugarbritches

I have a relative that lives in the trailer park who was awaken by the gun shot that took the girls life....black or white is not the issue...the issue is domestic violence..and the drugs that feed it.

D

darkriver4362

I have a relative that lives in the trailer park who was awaken by the gun shot that took the girls life....black or white is not the issue...the issue is domestic violence..and the drugs that feed it.

You are right about the drugs....this story is kind of funny but not ya know....we have a house at the end of the street that always seems to be rented out by coke feinds....but in a bizarre twist....the last residents, the dude got his ass kicked pretty bad by his wife...we never let him live that one down...but yeah...drugs have alot to do with the domestic violence.

black or white is not the issue
Boy I tell ya... if this incident occured in the "crack houses" across the street from the Lexington Park library... your statement above would be the factor.

Sugarbritches

If you watch alot of shows, COPS I guess, you can see those who are strung out on something and show no knowledge of whats happening around them. They are threatened by those around them and take it out on their loved ones....alcohol is included in this. AH the flattop! Yes the flattops were notorious for crack activity.

J

justhangn

There are always three sides to the story, his side, her side and the truth. :shrug:

The maggot obviously needed lead regardless of his pitiful excuse