Is this inequality?

donbarzini

Was it one was suspended for every 7 disciplined for similar offenses vs one suspended for 20 disciplined for similar offenses? Or was it just strictly based on school population? If it was the former, then it does smell of inequality. If the latter, then check the population of each race in the school system.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think it's awesome that 6 out of 7 black students are actually in school to learn instead of cause trouble and make drug connections.

:thewave:

glhs837

Power with Control
Article doesn't say, although there is mention of Montgomery County and the fact that %71 of suspensions ofr "Insubordination" were meted out to black children.

She pointed to one unsettling statistic: 71 percent of suspensions for insubordination, a relatively rare offense in the county, were handed out to black students. African Americans make up 21 percent of students in Montgomery’s schools. The goal is to dig deeper into the data, offer more professional development and share best practices, she said. “We don’t try to minimize the data,” Lacey said. “We just try to talk about it the way it exists.”

Misfit

Lawful neutral
From what I have observed so far in my life. Black kid's are taught to not take any BS. When something get's silly (in their opinion) they speak up. On the other hand white kids tend to be taught to take allot of Sh**.

Last edited:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Our society encourages young blacks to be jerks and criminals by making excuses for their bad behavior. It's too bad because this makes it tougher on black parents who are trying to raise their children to be responsible citizens.

I mean, I remember it well when my kids were coming up - our pop cultural influences making it harder on me to discipline my kids and not allow the girls to be trashy sluts. And we were white (well, we still are white). Now try being a black mother or father and having to counteract not only the pop culture, but the excuse making liberals telling them that it's normal for them to talk smack and rob liquor stores, that it's society's fault, and they can't be responsible for it.

Misfit

Lawful neutral
Our society encourages young blacks to be jerks and criminals by making excuses for their bad behavior. It's too bad because this makes it tougher on black parents who are trying to raise their children to be responsible citizens.

I mean, I remember it well when my kids were coming up - our pop cultural influences making it harder on me to discipline my kids and not allow the girls to be trashy sluts. And we were white (well, we still are white). Now try being a black mother or father and having to counteract not only the pop culture, but the excuse making liberals telling them that it's normal for them to talk smack and rob liquor stores, that it's society's fault, and they can't be responsible for it.

See you can write stuff like that I can't.

My Black overlord's would dispense of me.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
If kids, regardless of race, would stop acting like little punks they wouldn't get suspended. At the school I worked at, kids were suspended solely based on their actions. Nobody cared what color their skin was. I can't see wanting to work in a school system in the DC area if you're a racist. Bottom line.......parents need to teach their kids how to be respectful and punish them at home when they get in trouble in school. People don't parent their kids anymore and then complain when the teachers get tired of dealing with their BS.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Interesting. I went to GMHS..which is a good racial mix..and to be perfectly honest it was mostly the black students being bad :shrug: I guess thats not polite to say, but they got in trouble because they were being #######s, and they knew DAMN well they would only get ISS..which amounted to sitting in a room all day doing worksheets instead of real classwork, with all of their friends. I never saw a white kid being a douche and NOT getting in trouble for it, or covnersely, a black kid being good and getting in trouble anyway. In fact, it was well known that when white kids got in trouble, they almost always got regular suspension instead of ISS and therefore they didn't get special work and credit for class. Plus, the black kids had to pay less in hush money to the hall monitor when they got caught smoking, sneaking out, or having a cd player..he tried to take me for like 40 bucks..when a friend of mine only had to pay 20 to get her cd player back..unfair :killingme
we all accepted it as the way it is, though. We all knew who it was that was likely to be an ####### and start stuff in class..and we also knew what teachers were likely to ignore stuff, and who would write demerits..I think you will find that if you trace who is writing most of these write ups..you will find they are teachers who teach "reg" level required classes, and they have the highest concentration of #######s in their class of all races. I think there are too many variables to call it inequality and I personally never saw it, or heard anyone complain that it was so.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie
Interesting. I went to GMHS..which is a good racial mix..and to be perfectly honest it was mostly the black students being bad :shrug: I guess thats not polite to say, but they got in trouble because they were being #######s, and they knew DAMN well they would only get ISS..which amounted to sitting in a room all day doing worksheets instead of real classwork, with all of their friends. I never saw a white kid being a douche and NOT getting in trouble for it, or covnersely, a black kid being good and getting in trouble anyway. In fact, it was well known that when white kids got in trouble, they almost always got regular suspension instead of ISS and therefore they didn't get special work and credit for class. Plus, the black kids had to pay less in hush money to the hall monitor when they got caught smoking, sneaking out, or having a cd player..he tried to take me for like 40 bucks..when a friend of mine only had to pay 20 to get her cd player back..unfair :killingme
we all accepted it as the way it is, though. We all knew who it was that was likely to be an ####### and start stuff in class..and we also knew what teachers were likely to ignore stuff, and who would write demerits..I think you will find that if you trace who is writing most of these write ups..you will find they are teachers who teach "reg" level required classes, and they have the highest concentration of #######s in their class of all races. I think there are too many variables to call it inequality and I personally never saw it, or heard anyone complain that it was so.

I also went to a very racially diverse high school and exactly what you said held true in my school as well. Act like an azzhole in school, get suspended.....the end.

bcp

In My Opinion
You have to be careful when you consider any of these statistical pieces as proof off inequality. The numbers can be made to look racist very easily.

an example would be in the court system where they say a black man gets a harsher punishment than a white person for the same crime.

what they look at is, black man and white man, both in front of the judge for possession of crack. Black man gets 1 year in jail, white man gets probation.

Equal? no. Does it appear racist on the surface? yes.

Now the facts.
black man, up in front of the judge for the 3rd time for this offense, on his record there are two counts of assault, 1 robbery and a failure to appear.

White man, up for the first time, clean record before this.

The past is considered by the judge, yet the past is often left out by those proving racial inequality in the court.

limblips

PREMO Member
When there are two or more races involved somebody can and will make the numbers "prove" racism by reporting only the numbers that support their premise. The headline about this in the Wapo is race baiting to the nth degree. I expect we will be hearing from the Master Baiters, Jesse and Al on this one.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
parents need to teach their kids how to be respectful

Unfortunately the parents don't know how to be respectful, so they cannot teach their children. And that's not just black people - lotsa crackas don't know how to act, either, and that's what their children learn.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Unfortunately the parents don't know how to be respectful, so they cannot teach their children. And that's not just black people - lotsa crackas don't know how to act, either, and that's what their children learn.

:dingding:

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
When I was in school.. you hardly ever saw 1 on 1 black vs white fights... normally, it was anywhere from 3-1 black on white during a fight, therefore, 3 blacks got suspended, 1 white... Did these kind of instances get taken into account?

I can recall a few times when someONE was 'jumped' by 5-6 black guys... Now, that may have changed in the last 10 years, but I don't recall any groups of white guys jumping a black guy...

As for the girls, normally the same, except normally it was only 2 vs 1...

That there alone makes the numbers far different in suspensions.

luvmygdaughters

Why does everything come down to "race"? If a kid is starting trouble in school after he/she has been warned, suspend them. If they continue, expel them. I dont care if the kid is white, black, brown, red, or purple. Parents, if you dont want your child suspended or expelled, raise them right. Discipline and respect start at home. If they're not taught this at home, dont expect the teachers to do it for you. No reason why they should have to. Dont want your child going to jail? Than you better show him/her the difference between right and wrong. There are to many kids under the age of 18 hanging out on street corners all hours of the night when they have school the next morning. Where are the parents of these kids? The punks that robbed the kids in Nicolet park were 14 - 16 years of age. Just saying.

daylily

no longer CalvertNewbie

Very true. Stupidity definitely runs in families.

BOP

Why does everything come down to "race"? If a kid is starting trouble in school after he/she has been warned, suspend them. If they continue, expel them. I dont care if the kid is white, black, brown, red, or purple. Parents, if you dont want your child suspended or expelled, raise them right. Discipline and respect start at home. If they're not taught this at home, dont expect the teachers to do it for you. No reason why they should have to. Dont want your child going to jail? Than you better show him/her the difference between right and wrong. There are to many kids under the age of 18 hanging out on street corners all hours of the night when they have school the next morning. Where are the parents of these kids? The punks that robbed the kids in Nicolet park were 14 - 16 years of age. Just saying.

If you were a liberal, you'd understand why everything comes down to race.