"Smart" Employee at Panera

jkeller

So I go to Panera and order a meal (a soup and drink) and after I recieve my meal I look at my receipt. Lo and behold, at the bottom it had this real long Panera "rewards club member" number and it said something like "You have earned a free smoothie." After I finished eating, I go up to the cash register and present my free smoothie offer. The person there is like "Well, ok, you need your membership card." I told her I never had one and that this offer just showed up on the bottom of the reciept. I didn't want to get into an argument and it was just a smoothie, so I left.

So I've been figuring:
A. It's a trick to get you to buy into their "mermbership" (whatever that consists of, idk)
B. The employee behind the counter had hers scanned in and is collecting the points off of all the customers that order so she can get all the free stuff.

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
At the checkout, at Belk's, the cashier asked if I wanted to enroll in their membership card to receive the 10 or 15% discount, or whatever.

She asked for my driver's license LIC#. I responded with questions of why they needed that information...ultimately I declined their offer and bought the merchandise, but she persisted that the information is safe in their system.....no it isn't....it is only safe on my person and if I don't give it to you.

What's the deal with all these membership cards springing up everywhere??? They're annoying....the clerks always ask if I want one.

The store should have some available on a display, otherwise I am not going to pick one up and I won't go out just to get another piece of plastic. :shrug:

At the checkout, at Belk's, the cashier asked if I wanted to enroll in their membership card to receive the 10 or 15% discount, or whatever.

She asked for my driver's license LIC#. I responded with questions of why they needed that information...ultimately I declined their offer and bought the merchandise, but she persisted that the information is safe in their system.....no it isn't....it is only safe on my person and if I don't give it to you.

What's the deal with all these membership cards springing up everywhere??? They're annoying....the clerks always ask if I want one.

The store should have some available on a display, otherwise I am not going to pick one up and I won't go out just to get another piece of plastic. :shrug:

Yup.

E

EmptyTimCup

so they can better target you with coupons and deals .... by tracking your purchases

ms2009

Data Mining

It's everywhere. When you fill out a "store discount card" say at Food Lion, Panera Bread or gas station. Not only do they know how many people buy Cheerios, what the best selling meal is or how much gas is purchased in a year, they know who and at what address. Sorry folks, that’s too much information. All that information is up for sale.

Roman

I think maybe the cashiers get bonuses or something for pushing these things.
My Sister works for J C Penney's in the Carolinas. She says that they have to push people to sign up for a Card, and if they don't reach their quota, it goes on their Personnel File (I think)

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

The one that pisses me off the most is Sheetz. The purpose of a loyalty program is to give the loyal customers a slight break in return for them tracking your purchasing habits. Instead they raise the price for everyone and reduce the price to normal for the card holders. This is especially stupid in their case with Wawa just 2 blocks down the road (practically within sight). Another thing that comes out from this practice is that the local station across from gate 1 has consistently lower prices than them.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I have several rewards cards, and I like them :shrug: I save a lot with some of them. SOme are kind of useless, but most get me a neat benefit. I have never given out more than my phone number (to look it up if I dont have the card) and email address. And I have not recieved any unsolicited calls or emails.

Most of the time they don't have quotas for the rewards program cards, but DO for the credit cards, kohls (where my cousin worked) especially. I never sign up for credit cards, but they sure push them everywhere. In fact, I was just at Belk's and was not made aware of any rewards program cards..but the 10% off is if you open a CREDIT card with them..which may be why they wanted so much info. There is a difference, btu they soemtimes try to make the credit card seem like a rewards type card..by calling it a "penny's card" and mentioning the discount and never saying the words credit card. But all you have to do is ask.

Beta84

They're out to get us
So I go to Panera and order a meal (a soup and drink) and after I recieve my meal I look at my receipt. Lo and behold, at the bottom it had this real long Panera "rewards club member" number and it said something like "You have earned a free smoothie." After I finished eating, I go up to the cash register and present my free smoothie offer. The person there is like "Well, ok, you need your membership card." I told her I never had one and that this offer just showed up on the bottom of the reciept. I didn't want to get into an argument and it was just a smoothie, so I left.

So I've been figuring:
A. It's a trick to get you to buy into their "mermbership" (whatever that consists of, idk)
B. The employee behind the counter had hers scanned in and is collecting the points off of all the customers that order so she can get all the free stuff.

Go with option B. They're probably scanning their card for everyone that doesn't have a Panera card and getting the rewards. Sneaky.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
instead of paying money to have food & drink during their break, they get it for free. or they're selling it to friends. who knows :shrug:

its panera, not game stop or wallyworld. They already get a discount..I highly doubt they are scamming people for free smoothies.

lovinmaryland

I have several rewards cards, and I like them :shrug: I save a lot with some of them. SOme are kind of useless, but most get me a neat benefit. I have never given out more than my phone number (to look it up if I dont have the card) and email address. And I have not recieved any unsolicited calls or emails.

Most of the time they don't have quotas for the rewards program cards, but DO for the credit cards, kohls (where my cousin worked) especially. I never sign up for credit cards, but they sure push them everywhere. In fact, I was just at Belk's and was not made aware of any rewards program cards..but the 10% off is if you open a CREDIT card with them..which may be why they wanted so much info. There is a difference, btu they soemtimes try to make the credit card seem like a rewards type card..by calling it a "penny's card" and mentioning the discount and never saying the words credit card. But all you have to do is ask.

Me too. For birthday dinners and stuff we eat at Red Robin. I love their reward program. We earn free appetizers, burgers, and get tons of coupons w/ other incentives.

I have nothing for anyone to want to steal my identity. I can only imagine the look on the criminals face when he steals my identity and $0 money :jet: :killingme

Some stores want you to have a discount card so they, or a third party they sell your info to, can market you. Others are just trying to get you to come back and buy more of their stuff. You can tell by the amount of info they want.

For years I resisted the McKay's card because they didn't appear to have a privacy policy. The gasoline savings finally convinced me to inquire about the card. All they wanted was a name and phone number, no ID needed. I could have just as easily picked a name out of the phone book. I got the card.

Radio Shack used to want a name and address during check out so they could send me junk mail. I always said my name was Joe Cash at 101 Main Street. Radio Shack no longer asks for personal info.

Foxhound

Finishing last
So here is one thing you can do. And it has worked for me. If you go somewhere they offer discount cards and you can use your phone number instead. Try this area code+ 8675309, yes its Jenny's number. Many people who want discounts without giving out personal info will use this on their application.

E

EmptyTimCup

So here is one thing you can do. And it has worked for me. If you go somewhere they offer discount cards and you can use your phone number instead. Try this area code+ 8675309, yes its Jenny's number. Many people who want discounts without giving out personal info will use this on their application.

yeah except 867 is an active prefix in MD