Diets

JMILL24

Cubscout MoM
What diets have you tried and did they work? Would you recommend them? Any tips for better results?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Best bet is to find something you can live with for long term..like cutting portion sizes and just not eating the "junk" you know you're not sup to..more veggies, more water, more protein.

I personally, have excellent results restricting carbs. I am not really overweight, I have vanity lbs to lose..and two weeks into an atkins/paleo diet I have lost 8 lbs and have never gone hungry for a minute. In fact, my appetite has decreased to the point wher I have to remind myself to eat sometimes. If you have more than a few lbs to lose I have seen people lose as much as 15-18 lbs their first two weeks. BUT, its not really a diet you can go on, lose the weight and go back to normal and keep it all off. You will gain a few lbs back if you quit (some people say all of it, I never did when I returned to eating carbs, I still had a net loss) ..however, most people can increase their carbs quite a bit to maintain their weight and still have the things they missed. Plus, it really clues you in to the carbs you eat every day and what you can live without, and what can be an occasional treat. I find I can have an occasional cheat day and eat more carbs than I should without getting out of ketosis. There are lots of swaps you can do for every day foods and meals...plus it has the added benefit of improving a lot of health "stats" including cholesterol and blood pressure.

Sweet 16

^^8^^
I too did a modified Atkins' low/no carb diet and lost about 25 lbs. I was in my 30's though and it's much harder to lose weight in your 40's. I just cut out all starchy foods: bread, potatoes, rice, pasta, corn, cereal and sugar and ate as much meat, veggies, dairy and fruit as I wanted. Plus I worked out - moderate to heavy exercise at least 3 times a week and I could literally feel the fat melting off of me each time and the transformation was dramatic! Carbs eventually crept back into my diet though and over time I gained most of it back. You actually do need some carbs so, after the initial weight loss, you can reintroduce them in moderation without totally back-sliding. I would like to try this again and see if it works in my 40's as well as it did the first time.

cricketmd

I've lost about 40lbs this year. I started with Phentermine for 6 months because I was having health issues from the extra weight. My dr prescribed it and then I got off of it about 3 months ago and havnt put any of the weight back on. I learned to eat healthier and have trained myself some restraint and will power. I learned healthier habits this year. I dont watch my carbs as much as I do calories and fat grams. I make a point of not exceeding fat grams a day, probably not the healthiest idea, but I do. Lastly, I found an online diet journal website (myfitnesspal.com) helpful. Hope this helps!

suthrncom4t

I'm late 40's, would like to lose about 20 - 25 lbs. I do enjoy cocktails/wine on the weekends w/out getting "blasted". Would the high protein/no carb thing work for me to lose the weight by March or so? Also, is walking on the treadmill (30 min. 3.5 mi/hr most days) considered "weight bearing" exercise - esp. for heart/muscle/bone health as well as weight lose? I have arthritis, so some days (rainy/snowy) I really ache and just can't do it. It worked 25 yrs ago after babies, but now???? Thanks for the input!

molly_21

I did Weight Watchers and it worked for me. You can on WW still enjoy a glass of wine or a beer without messing up anything. What people forget, esp. on WW is that you need to eat to lose weight. I have known people that seem to think eating salads two of their three meals a day will equal weight loss. Besides being boring, you do actually need to have protein. I still ate meatloaf for example, but I used to make it out of turkey or a better quality beef and like another poster said, eat smaller sizes of meatloaf for example, 1/2 cup of mashed potatoes (I used lowfat sour cream and less butter when I made mine) and Veg. So you can eat "normal" and still lose weight.

suthrncom4t

Thanks a bunch. I am one of those that falls into no/low cal = weight loss. I don't feel like I have a real active life, so my thinking was/is calories in/calories out....I'll try the eating more (protein, veges) to lose. Now for the exercise thing....I hope walking will help....

molly_21

To be honest, when I lost my weight I never excerised. I walked my dogs, but no more than I usually walk them to have them count as "exercise." But walking is a good way to excerise in, esp. if you do have dogs. It will be a good way to force you to having to walk more with an excuse to have to them out. I have co-workers that (if you have access to the base or if you have access to a local pool where ever you live) that like to do laps in a pool as it is easy excerise.

MMM_donuts

My husband lost 15lbs on Body for Life, which is basically just small portions several times a day with 1 cheat day each week. He has the cook book and found it to be quite tasty.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I'm late 40's, would like to lose about 20 - 25 lbs. I do enjoy cocktails/wine on the weekends w/out getting "blasted". Would the high protein/no carb thing work for me to lose the weight by March or so? Also, is walking on the treadmill (30 min. 3.5 mi/hr most days) considered "weight bearing" exercise - esp. for heart/muscle/bone health as well as weight lose? I have arthritis, so some days (rainy/snowy) I really ache and just can't do it. It worked 25 yrs ago after babies, but now???? Thanks for the input!

I am young and like to go out with my friends, which is why carb counting works for me..liquer has no carbs..and as long as you mix it with something else low carb (diet soda, diet lemonade, sugar free koolaid) theres no issue. No matter what diet you are on, alcohol slows weight loss because your body burns it as energy first.

as for exercise..walking is better than nothing at all :) plus, like another poster mentioned swimming and light water aerobics are easier on joints as is the elliptical. Plus tai chi and yoga are good for arthritis pain, stress relief, and flexibility.

homedepot20

Atkins worked for me also ! Lost 75 lbs in a year , however put back on 30 lbs after going OFF ! Trying a diet called Sensa . No really results however just started . My main problem has been eating after work when I get home at midnight and going to bed afterwards . I think the best diet is portions and WILL POWER !

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

http://www.acsm.org/docs/current-comments/energyexpendindifferentexmodes.pdf

Walking can be a good form of exercise. It is a weight-bearing exercise, as well. Here's some more information on Cardio exercise.

Also, swimming in the pool can be very good for people who have issues with arthritis. :yay:

MMM_donuts

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Walking with a friend was one of the best things I ever did for my running. She walks very quickly and we would throw some lunges in there every now and then....

:frown: I can't get anyone to walk with me.

:shrug: Can't imagine why they won't join me at 5:45 am. :jet:

mitzi

I swear by the Atkins plan. I lost over 50 lb 7 years ago. I put it back on but it was MY fault for falling back into old habits. I started it again in mid December. Went off of it the week between Christmas and New Year's. I've lost 15 pounds. It was hard the first week or so but I adjusted. Atkins.com was offers a complete carb list online and were offering a small book for free also if you want to check it out.