S: Sierra
T: Tango
U: Uniform
V: Victor
W: Whiskey
X: X-Ray
Y: Yankee
Z: Zulu
These are the same phonetics used by the Amateur Radio Operators...

dgates80

Land of the lost
As used by pretty much everyone *except* the police. Is used internationally, by treaty, in aviation and maritime radio transmissions. I always thought it sounded kinda stupid to hear them saying "David boy Edward" vs "delta bravo echo" ....

b23hqb

PREMO Member
These are the same phonetics used by the Amateur Radio Operators...

Exactly. I learned it in the military in 1972 for verbal radio communications, but even then it was, and still is, known as the Phonetic Alphabet, not military.

Now, to go on to the simple, but still widely misunderstood use of Military Time...:cds:

DEEKAYPEE8569

Exactly. I learned it in the military in 1972 for verbal radio communications, but even then it was, and still is, known as the Phonetic Alphabet, not military.

Now, to go on to the simple, but still widely misunderstood use of Military Time...:cds:

Easy. Between 1 p.m. and midnight, add 12 hours. 1300, 1400.....:shrug:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
St. Mary's Sheriff's Office is NOT planing to change at this time

A: Alpha
B: Bravo
C: Charlie
D: Delta
E: Echo
F: Foxtrot
G: Golf
H: Hotel
I: India
J: Juliet
K: Kilo
L: Lima
M: Mike
N: November
O: Oscar
P: Papa
Q: Quebec
R: Romeo

Makes sense seeing how most new officers are former military in some shape or form..

Standarization makes a lot of sense, and couldn't understand why a military based system (any poilce force) used a different phonetic alphabet, and you could even find differences from state to state, or even town to town.

G1G4

Find em Hot, Leave em Wet
WilliamHenryYoung CharlesAdamNora'Tom WilliamEdward TomYoungPaulEdward LincolnIdaKingEdward TomHenryIdaSam AdamLincolnLincoln TomHenryEdward TomIdaMaryEdward?

glhs837

Power with Control
Your kidding, right? Theres only one way to spell any of those, and in any case, it is phonetic, not written, so it's how you say them, and that they are understandable as spoken. Never heard of an issue, and spent many years using them.

dgates80

Land of the lost
Your kidding, right? Theres only one way to spell any of those, and in any case, it is phonetic, not written, so it's how you say them, and that they are understandable as spoken. Never heard of an issue, and spent many years using them.

The ICAO standard phonetic alphbet is specifically designed to maximize readability and comprehension with poor radio audio quality. The problem with the Adam-12 phonetic alphabet is there are far too many words that may otherwise be used in their non-phonetic context, like "BOY" for example.

BOP

St. Mary's Sheriff's Office is NOT planing to change at this time

A: Alpha
B: Bravo
C: Charlie
D: Delta
E: Echo
F: Foxtrot
G: Golf
H: Hotel
I: India
J: Juliet
K: Kilo
L: Lima
M: Mike
N: November
O: Oscar
P: Papa
Q: Quebec
R: Romeo

So what's the SMIB phonetic alphabet?

BOP

Easy. Between 1 p.m. and midnight, add 12 hours. 1300, 1400.....:shrug:

Except for Marines. They have their own time called (appropriately enough) Marine Corps time. Not to be confused with the Marine Corps Times magazine.

For example: 1:00 means Mickey's big hand is on the 12, and his little hand is on the 1.

It's easy if you try. :lol:

BOP

The ICAO standard phonetic alphbet is specifically designed to maximize readability and comprehension with poor radio audio quality. The problem with the Adam-12 phonetic alphabet is there are far too many words that may otherwise be used in their non-phonetic context, like "BOY" for example.

Raaaacist!!!

NTNG

Except for Marines. They have their own time called (appropriately enough) Marine Corps time. Not to be confused with the Marine Corps Times magazine.

For example: 1:00 means Mickey's big hand is on the 12, and his little hand is on the 1.

It's easy if you try. :lol:

Excuse me, thats a little out of date. With the advent of digital watches, the Marines simply state the time, and say "dark" or "light" after the time.