Southwoods Subdivision

Dev

Anti-theist
Anyone know anything about the neighborhood? Browsing houses and the dingy looking townhomes in the back have me wary.

glhs837

Power with Control
As well they should. One of my daughters friends, the family is leaving that subdivision, and the townhouses n back were a major factor in that choice. The prices are attractive, of course, but the Section 8 housing in the back is why that's so. You might not be able to find as much square footage for the money elsewhere, but you can do a lot better for quality of life than that. A smaller house in a different area might be a better bet.

Dev

Anti-theist
Thanks. That's exactly what I was looking for. It's a damn shame, those houses we saw looked pretty nice. :(

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I hate to say it, but you're probably going to find that wherever you buy. Good looking well-priced homes, right smack in the middle of the ghetto.

HOWEVER my little 'hood has been crime free, despite having Section 8 and low income apartments/townhomes right around the corner. The problems we've had here were from punks who don't live anywhere near us.

flyingdog

We looked at Southwoods - at a lot of the homes in there actually - we were really excited about the homes. And then I did some research and drove/went for a run around the area a few times and realized what you did. I would not buy there - for both having to endure the reality of people speeding through the neighborhood, the hooligans walking through your neighborhood to go to the Hermanville gas station to get their 'groceries', etc. or to catch the bus and also for fear of resale. When we were looking there were 6 homes on ther market and there are not that many for sale there. They have a reputation, obviously. I also can't help but wonder for safey since these people who might not have much are walking straight through your neighborhood and seeing what they don't have. This would worry me for theft/my childs safety.

Have you looked in Cedar Cove, just up the street? This is where we are and we love it - decent homes, nice neighborhood, great location, great resale - homes are not for sale long here. Good luck and sorry for your disappointment. I know your feeling.