Babe Ruth vs. St. Mary's Little League

BernieP

Resident PIA
Back in my day it was age, younger kids played Little League, the next age bracket up was Babe Ruth ball.

But in this day and age it could be a league thing. Little League is a name brand run out ot Williamsport PA. It's a brand name, not sure if Babe Ruth is part of LL or a different brand.

There are a number of differences between LL and BR. And by no means is this an endorsement or put down of either. Each organization has its own merits. I've been involved with both leagues for many years and I've only got good things to say about how the local LL and BR (St. Mary's) is run.

One of the biggest differences I've seen is that the level of play in BR is higher than LL. Not saying LL does not have a quality level of play, but BR players seem more competitive. League ages are pretty much the same for both organizations, but, BR plays according to Major League Baseball rules while LL plays by highly modified Official Baseball Rules designed with a lot of safety in mind.

If you are looking to get your child into baseball, I would consider their age. If they are very young (5-6) and are just starting off, I would recommend at least 2-3 years in LL. Remember this though, whichever league you decide on, it means a big committment on the part of the player AND parents.

Riddler

Good info above by somdforever.

I'll add:

Babe Ruth merged with Cal Ripkin in 1999. Cal Ripkin is for kids up to 12 and Babe Ruth is for kids 13-18 but they are both the same league.

LL has the same base and pitching distances up to age 12, (60' base paths and 46' pitching distance).

Cal Ripkin changes to 70' base paths and a 50' pitching distance at age 11. They feel it's better to have 11-12 year olds playing on 70/50 fields so it's not such a big adjustment when they get on a "real" baseball field, (90/60), at age 13.

All that said, it really depends on where you live.

In St Mary's for example LL has two separate "leagues", the American in the North and the National in the South. If you play LL you sign up for either the American or National depending on where you live. There is only one Babe Ruth/Ripkin league in St Mary's.

"Most" of the Babe Ruth/Ripkin fields are in the north. They do play some games at Chancellors but most will be at Leonardtown, 7th district or Laurel Grove. If you live in Ridge then it's quite a hike to play Babe Ruth/Ripken ball. The National LL has some fields down in Ridge that would be much more convienent if you lived down that way.

Here are the links to the respective leagues.

Good luck.

ST. MARYS BABE RUTH LEAGUE : Babe Ruth League Online Babe Ruth

St. Mary's American Little League St Mary's American LL

Saint Mary's National Little League St Mary's National LL