• Not wise, but hey...its been going on for years

Votes: 15 51.7%
  • That is abusive...I'd give them a piece of my mind

Votes: 8 27.6%
  • Its worth passing a law against...let the court deal with it

Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

Hessian

Sitting in a bank parking lot on Saturday: Beside me is a PU with a young (10year old) boy. Beside him is an older woman puffing away on a cigarette..the windo is open just a crack but as I watch, the kid pulls his shirt up and starts breathing through his shirt...with another hand he starts wiping his eyes.

Moments later an adult male comes out of the bank, hops in the driver seat and immediately lights up his cigarette. The Kid, squeezed between these two caring adults is vainly fanning the smoke away from him...and they pull away.

Now I have not come out on the soap box before against smoking...naturally I don't like it around my table at dinner, or walking through a foreign airport. BUT

At the very least...that was a cruel thing to put that boy through. Heck, he's wheezing for some fresh air and both adults obliviously are choking him....isn't that abuse? If they had spanked him in the Safeway they'd be facing charges, but stuff him full of toxins day after day...that's no problem.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I don't smoke in my car or my house. I do remember when my daughter was an infant, we were at a family members house that was so clogged with smoke that I took her out and waited in the car.

mainman

Set Trippin
If a law is passed, where would you draw the line? You cannot smoke in a vehicle with a child until the child is 18? 21?

Some things have the potential to get so out of control...

Toxick

Splat
Originally posted by mainman
If a law is passed, where would you draw the line? You cannot smoke in a vehicle with a child until the child is 18? 21?

You can only smoke in your house, in your room under a blanket with the lights turned off.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
When I did smoke, I would at home, and also, while driving with my daughter. I didn't sit in a parking lot with my windows shut, but I'd crack the window if I were driving.

As I look back now, I think how bad that is. I shouldn't smoke around her, but then, my Mom smoked around me and I'm perfectly normal. :shrug:

I quit smoking last year, so my daughter doesn't have to smell Mommies nasty cigarettes anymore. :dance:

mainman

Set Trippin
Originally posted by Toxick
You can only smoke in your house, in your room under a blanket with the lights turned off.
What if there is a photo of my child in the room? :confused:

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
Originally posted by mainman

Some things have the potential to get so out of control...
Smoking with the kid in the car is definitely not the smartest thing to do, but I have to agree with MM...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I probably smoked my kids out when they were little, too. But now they're healthy teens/adults with no respiratory problems, allergies or anything so...:shrug:

Smoking wasn't evil until about 7 years or so ago so kids back then didn't realize they were supposed to live in a bubble and take all kinds of medication to survive. They just learned to adapt to their environment.

ememdee19

Southern Beyotch
I've never smoked around my child and I think it's wrong for other parents to do so. My parents did it around me and I absolutely hated it.

I feel the same way about women smoking while they're pregnant.

RodRugg

My grandma smokes in her sewing room and them's cigars. I choke my head off everytime I have to go in there to get her Bible or needles or cigars. Whenever she makes curtains or a tablecloth she smokes three cigars in a row. She smokes and smokes until that bird she has starts screaming or my dad starts yelling for her to open a window. She hates to open that window and says she likes to keep it closed and smoke a cigar three or four times. She likes to smoke a whole cigar right before bed and smoke it again while she sleeps. She dares anybody to open that door and let any of her smoke out. My dad says that room is ruined and should be cut right off the house.

My dad used to smoke a pipe. I remember, as a child, taking LONG trips with my family in the wintertime with all the windows closed while he puffed away.

To this day I'm (cough) perfectly (hack) fine (schnarf)...

D

darkriver4362

Originally posted by Hessian
Sitting in a bank parking lot on Saturday: Beside me is a PU with a young (10year old) boy. Beside him is an older woman puffing away on a cigarette..the windo is open just a crack but as I watch, the kid pulls his shirt up and starts breathing through his shirt...with another hand he starts wiping his eyes.

Moments later an adult male comes out of the bank, hops in the driver seat and immediately lights up his cigarette. The Kid, squeezed between these two caring adults is vainly fanning the smoke away from him...and they pull away.

Now I have not come out on the soap box before against smoking...naturally I don't like it around my table at dinner, or walking through a foreign airport. BUT

At the very least...that was a cruel thing to put that boy through. Heck, he's wheezing for some fresh air and both adults obliviously are choking him....isn't that abuse? If they had spanked him in the Safeway they'd be facing charges, but stuff him full of toxins day after day...that's no problem.

I agree with Hessain...seriously, no joke....Even though I am a smoker, I will not smoke in the car with 1. Infants 2. Old People 3. Anyone unless I ask them if it bothers them first.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Isn't it possible that there was another stench that was bothering the child, it might not have been the smoke? :lmao:

Pet peeve #12: Idiots that smoke cigs/cigars with their windows cracked only one inch. Kid is in the back seat hacking up a lung. That s*it really ####es me off. :burning:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hell. I'm a smoker and I hate people that won't ventilate. My ex would smoke in the car and wouldn't roll the window down because he was "cold". I'm like, "Cold...dead...your choice."

D

darkriver4362

Originally posted by vraiblonde
Hell. I'm a smoker and I hate people that won't ventilate. My ex would smoke in the car and wouldn't roll the window down because he was "cold". I'm like, "Cold...dead...your choice."

I understand, this guy at work does it.......I can't stand that...I smoke moderately but still that even burns the hell outta my eyes.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Isn't having a smoking section in a restaurant like having a peeing section in a swimming pool?