Another "mom" question

KDENISE977

Good morning,
Let me start by saying my 8 1/2 month old son is usually the most care free, happy baby I've seen. He's always been happy in his jumperoo or playing in his bassinett with toys etc. Recently, he's started crying and fussing for no apparent reason, when I walk into a room he cries and starts fussing till I pick him up, if I walk OUT of a room he cries about that too. For my husband, he's happy as a clam, bouncing, playing, but the MINUTE he see's me he cries until I pick him up. Not ALL the time, but it's just started and I'm wondering if this is just manipulation to get me to pick him up or it's a stage or is he too young to even think like that? Last night I held him for over an hour, sitting playing, watching TV... put him in his play pen, with toys.... starts crying and crying?? Is he playing me??

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Good morning,
Let me start by saying my 8 1/2 month old son is usually the most care free, happy baby I've seen. He's always been happy in his jumperoo or playing in his bassinett with toys etc. Recently, he's started crying and fussing for no apparent reason, when I walk into a room he cries and starts fussing till I pick him up, if I walk OUT of a room he cries about that too. For my husband, he's happy as a clam, bouncing, playing, but the MINUTE he see's me he cries until I pick him up. Not ALL the time, but it's just started and I'm wondering if this is just manipulation to get me to pick him up or it's a stage or is he too young to even think like that? Last night I held him for over an hour, sitting playing, watching TV... put him in his play pen, with toys.... starts crying and crying?? Is he playing me??

If he's not in obvious pain or discomfort, he's definitely playing you. The fact that he only cries when he sees you pretty much confirms it. He's got you wrapped around his finger and is using that to his advantage. You can stand there and talk to him but don't pick him up every time. Good luck!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't think babies have the mental capacity to manipulate. They just want what they want, which is usually to be held and entertained constantly. :lol:

What RareBreed said:
You can stand there and talk to him but don't pick him up every time.

Just be patient with the caterwauling and make him wait a bit before you pick him up. Then pick him up, give him some smoochies, and put him right back in his playpen. If you're diligent, he'll straighten out in a week or two.

KDENISE977

I think you're right, he just wants what he wants, when he sees it. I'm overthinking this and need a hobby...LOL.:doh:

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
Good morning,

He sees ghosts............

Sweet 16

^^8^^
Babies know what works for them, even if they are not *consciously* manipulating you. In time they will realize what gets them results and learn manipulative behavior. Nothing wrong with picking up a crying baby but they also need to learn how to self-soothe or you will be at their beck-and-call for every little thing.....forever! Distract him with a toy or something interesting to look at. Also, babies this age need and want to move and need time on a blanket on the floor playing and exploring and not trapped in a playpen, jumper or crib all the time.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
It is absolutely manipulation..even if they aren't aware that's the term :lmao: it is classical conditioning, and you are being a good lab rat :) he knows crying gets you, so that's what he does. If you weren't going to pick him up anyway, don't. When he stops crying, and he will, then go over and give him a little love..show him that a desireable behavior gets results, not crying and having a fit. Unless he's in obv pain or something, of course. I've had a lot of success with monster as she was starting to pitch a fit when I didn't drop everything for her when I was busy. So I tell her that I am busy and I will get her in a minute, and then I ignore her. When I am done, I get her. She doesn't understand what I am saying, of course but she will one day and she will know the drill. Being responsive to your baby does not mean you have to be there every second.

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
Good morning,

The question is....do you want your son to be wrapped around your finger or you wrapped around his?

So far, you've been wrapping yourself around his.

Pushrod

Patriot
My 20 month old son will still try to pull that crap with his ma. She's been on to him for a while now and he doesn't get his way much. Doesn't mean he doesn't still try. he knows better then to pull that stunt with me, when he does, I give him the evil eye and he shuts right up.