Is it that time?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Claudia is 17 (or 18, depending on who you ask). She won't hardly eat anymore and is getting even thinner, and those of you who've met her know that's pretty damned thin.

She's not sick or in pain, but she has kitty dementia. Not messing outside the litterbox or anything like that - she just sleeps all day. Then she wakes up and cries for food that's sitting right in front of her face. I point her toward the food, she nibbles, forgets that she's hungry and walks away. I tried her on scrambled eggs and milk, but she just nibbles a bit and meh.

She does still have enough in her to #####slap the dog when he gets too crazy.

I just took her to the vet last month for her annual checkup/shots, and the vet was shocked to see her again. :lol: Said she's looking good for such an old scrawny cat.

Like I said, she's not sick or in pain, but she's wasting away - slowly starving herself. Should I have her put down or keep her around until she croaks on her own? I want to do the right thing by her - she's been a good cat - and I'm torn as to what exactly the right thing is.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Claudia is 17 (or 18, depending on who you ask). She won't hardly eat anymore and is getting even thinner, and those of you who've met her know that's pretty damned thin.

She's not sick or in pain, but she has kitty dementia. Not messing outside the litterbox or anything like that - she just sleeps all day. Then she wakes up and cries for food that's sitting right in front of her face. I point her toward the food, she nibbles, forgets that she's hungry and walks away. I tried her on scrambled eggs and milk, but she just nibbles a bit and meh.

I just took her to the vet last month for her annual checkup/shots, and the vet was shocked to see her again. :lol: Said she's looking good for such an old scrawny cat.

Like I said, she's not sick or in pain, but she's wasting away - slowly starving herself. Should I have her put down or keep her around until she croaks on her own? I want to do the right thing by her - she's been a good cat - and I'm torn as to what exactly the right thing is.
Tough decision.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Cats are notorious for hiding pain and sickness very well. Dementia in animals is horrific as I went through it with my dog and wouldn't wish going through that on any animal or pet owner.

It's a hard decision but I personally think the most humane thing to do is to put to her sleep with dignity and not let her suffer.

Lilypad

Vrai, hang on to your old gal. :kiss:
Feed her some organic poached chicken, she'll stop the yeooowing. She sounds pretty hardy to me, just not to pleasant to look at huh?
The oldest living cat lived for 38 yrs.! Claudia is half way there.:yay:

Bird Dog

Bird Dog
PREMO Member

She's not sick or in pain, but she has kitty dementia.

Let her go quietly into that goodnight. She is very comfortable right where she is. No need for trauma with a vet trip for you or her.

JMHO

Sorry about your buddy.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member

You remember my Jack. Her kidney's were failing and I didn't know it. You will make the right decision when the time comes... :huggy:

Loper

Animal Poor!
it is always a tough decision to make for an animal that can't tell us what is exactly going on.

I would say, from my limited knowledge of the cat, that if you are not willing to find out exactly what is wrong ($$$$) because of her age. The right thing to do is put her down. Animals do not always express pain or discomfort in the way we as humans expect. They can be in pain and we never know it. Just like people, they learn to live with pain as a part of life and don't necessarily give off what we, as people, see as pain. She could have several internal things happening. If she is starving from the inside....

Ultimately, it is your choice, because you know the cat. :huggy:

ginwoman

my first thought is, how did you feel about Terri Shavo? (SP?)
might be a weird comparison but thats what came to my mind. I dread the day that I might need to make this decision for one of my babies.

Sorry about your kitty.

Last edited:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?

Ugggg so sad..hard to say..but if she does not seem in pain I would let her go..I like using tuna too dont like using milk...nutracal is good too....I groomed a cat that was 20 and I just had someone call me that got a cat from ME 20 yrs ago and said he just passed away...good luck with whatever you decide...its really up to you and what you can handle...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Ugh.

Lilypad, I did mash up some boiled chicken for her and she wasn't interested. Tried to hook her up with some poached salmon - nope. She eats a couple of bites and is done. Scrambled eggs and cottage cheese used to work when I was trying to get her to eat, and now she doesn't want that, either.

We'll see what happens over the next few days, but I've been telling myself that for the last couple of months.

Ugh.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Ugh.

Lilypad, I did mash up some boiled chicken for her and she wasn't interested. Tried to hook her up with some poached salmon - nope. She eats a couple of bites and is done. Scrambled eggs and cottage cheese used to work when I was trying to get her to eat, and now she doesn't want that, either.

We'll see what happens over the next few days, but I've been telling myself that for the last couple of months.

Ugh.

Thats about the same thing mom did too..they just loose interst in food all together thats the body telling them that it is time.. :huggy: or mind telling the body..you know what I am thinking....

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Ugh.

Ugh.

Tell me if you need me... :huggy:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
Vrai, Im so sorry for what you are going thru. Hang in there, youll figure out which way is best for your sweet Claudia. Calling the vet and getting her some fluids might help a little, at least keep her hydrated. And as comfortable as possible. Good luck, my thought are with you and kitty.

Katelin

one day the dark will end
Claudia is that old...wow time flies......You have done well by her to still have her after all these years. What a awesome cat!!

V. There is a lot you can do: fluids, appitite stimulates, special foods, tuna juice, chicken broth, beef juices,...etc... Buthow much is too much and when does it stop being for Claudia and start being about you and your feelings?

Once cats stop eating or have lost interest..there is not a lot you can do.

I would suggest a Vet visit..just to make sure it is natural progression and there is nothing medically going on and causing her pain and discomfort, ask your Vet as he know her better than most of us here.

Other than that..you will kow when it is time, Claudia will tell you ...
No magic pill, no one answer...

Hold her, love her and look in her eyes...and you will know when it is time.

Bless you and Claudia. :huggy:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
Ugh.

Ugh.

You'll know. You just will.

Tell me if you need me... :huggy:

Me, too. :huggy:

belvak

Happy Camper
Ugh.

Ugh.

:huggy: Hugs to you and Claudia!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Now that I'm paying attention and out of denial by going public, I'm noticing that she's having trouble getting around. I always thought she stands at the stairs for a few seconds before going up because she forgot what she was going to do. Now I realize that it probably hurts to climb them. She just hesitated before jumping up into her bed, which is about a foot off the ground.

She's an old lady.

So I'll make the call today and get it over with. No real sense in prolonging it. I just always figured she'd go off somewhere when she was ready to croak over, but she doesn't go out anymore when it's chilly. And I REALLY don't want to just find her laying dead.

So I'll make the call today and get it over with. No real sense in prolonging it. I just always figured she'd go off somewhere when she was ready to croak over, but she doesn't go out anymore when it's chilly. And I REALLY don't want to just find her laying dead.
That sounds like the humane choice... don't you wish we could do that for our elders...:huggy: