Synthetic Oil Change

Namikazenaru

Just went to Curtis Tire and Auto and got my Transmission oil changed and a Synthetic oil change for $130 and they got me in and out in no time. Thought that was a really good price and wanted to share.

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
What is the brand of fluid did they use? $130. is a very good price considering it's about $50. for a oil change using Amsoil

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I just changed my oil in the GTO with full syn. Mobile 1, 5W-30. Oil & AC filter from Auto Zone was $41.00 (takes 6 quarts).

glhs837

Power with Control
I just changed my oil in the GTO with full syn. Mobile 1, 5W-30. Oil & AC filter from Auto Zone was $41.00 (takes 6 quarts).

Keep in mind, the OP did have a trans fluid change done too. So it's not a bad price. Depending on the labore required for the trans. My 89 Blazer, you have to drop a crossmember to get the pan off.

That said, I do my own oil changes. Where do you buy your Mobil One? I take seven quarts per change. And it's usually about $6.50ish a quart. Filter, I get lucky, Wal-Mart actually carries the correct Mopar filter for my car. $5 or so.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
Keep in mind, the OP did have a trans fluid change done too. So it's not a bad price. Depending on the labore required for the trans. My 89 Blazer, you have to drop a crossmember to get the pan off.

That said, I do my own oil changes. Where do you buy your Mobil One? I take seven quarts per change. And it's usually about $6.50ish a quart. Filter, I get lucky, Wal-Mart actually carries the correct Mopar filter for my car. $5 or so.
Oh I wasn't disparaging his price, it was a good price.

I bought the 1 gallon jug ($32.00) and 1 quart ($6+). Filter was $4+ (ac/delco) at Auto Zone in Charlotte Hall. I did it all myself.

glhs837

Power with Control
Oh I wasn't disparaging his price, it was a good price.

I bought the 1 gallon jug ($32.00) and 1 quart ($6+). Filter was $4+ (ac/delco) at Auto Zone in Charlotte Hall. I did it all myself.

Yeah, my problem is that the factory spec weight is 0w-40, or 5w-40. Both very hard to find in the gallon jugs.

glhs837

Power with Control
I knew what you meat. Pretty sure that is an odd quantity due to it being 5 liters. Lets them sell the same package in metric countries.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member

Mobil 1 at Autozone is outragously priced at $38 for 5qt jug! I get same exact Mobil 1 at Walmart for $24 and Ford Motorcraft filter for $4.

When they told me the price at the register at Autozone, I put it back. I said it's MUCH cheaper at Walmart, he said..."ok".

Last edited:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Just went to Curtis Tire and Auto and got my Transmission oil changed and a Synthetic oil change for $130 and they got me in and out in no time. Thought that was a really good price and wanted to share.

How much was the trans oil? A typical oil change for me is around $80-$90 depending on where I take my car.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Question:

I got my 2011 Honda Accord 4 cyl coupe back in March. Having always dealt with non-synthetic oil changes before, I was completely in shock over the price of a synthetic oil change (recommend 0W20). I drive about 500 miles a week, so oil changes come often. And while it's nice I can wait til about 8000 miles now, $70 is still quite a lot when you're used to $30. First oil change after getting the car was up at Annapolis Honda bc I was there for the week when I needed it...$68. This time I went to Midas in the Park ($69) bc that's where I used to go for my other car and I like them. Waldorf Honda quoted me $78. Walmart (here) doesn't do synthetic oil changes.

Now, if every where around here is around that $70 price, I'll bite the bullet and suck it up....but this is what's killing me: after visiting my parents in CT the other month, I stopped by the local Honda dealership to pick up a air filter for my dad to change for me. They had a sign (and I just confirmed it on their website) for synthetic oil changes for $29.95. In a state that, believe it or not is always MORE expensive than Maryland, how the heck are they only charging $30?! That's what I wanna pay :mad:

Changing the oil myself is not possible, I'd love to learn how but I assure you I'd #### up my car faster than I can figure out how to pop the hood. Plus it's just physically not an option right now.

Any suggestions on better options? I'm open to any place in SoMd. I drive through all 3 counties for home/work/errands, etc.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Last edited: