SO, American makers, where are cars like this?

glhs837

Power with Control
2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe [w/video]

Either a 2.0 turbo 4 making 274hp, or a 3.8 V6 getting almost 350hp. Rear wheel drive, fully defeatable stability and traction control systems, and brembo brakes for under 30K.

Like the Toybaru FR-S, a middleweight RWD car that handles well is a sure thing, I think, why aint American makers on this? Whats so hard about keeping up?

CrashTest

18-20 mpg city. Wow. Impressive. That's only 3 mpg less than my 1999 Toyota Tacoma.

No excuse for anything less than 30 mpg city these days.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
18-20 mpg city. Wow. Impressive. That's only 3 mpg less than my 1999 Toyota Tacoma.

:lol: The best selling vehicle in the country gets that on the highway

Vehicles that aren't appliances don't get astronomical mileage

glhs837

Power with Control

Whaa? Who the hell was talking about MPG? What car that actually makes you smile to drive it gets 30mpg city? And please keep your politics out of this thread. This discussion has nothing to do with oil sources. It's about cars that you have a blast driving, not ones that make you feel good about which Man your stickin it to.

CrashTest

Whaa? Who the hell was talking about MPG? What car that actually makes you smile to drive it gets 30mpg city? And please keep your politics out of this thread. This discussion has nothing to do with oil sources. It's about cars that you have a blast driving, not ones that make you feel good about which Man your stickin it to.

If I'm not depending on OPEC, I'll be smiling no matter what I'm driving.

glhs837

Power with Control
But that has nothing to do with the reason cars like this make you smile, if they do. Get a Leaf, then.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad

Attachments

• riding_mopeds.jpg
    riding_mopeds.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 65

itsbob

I bowl overhand
2013 Hyundai Genesis Coupe [w/video]

Either a 2.0 turbo 4 making 274hp, or a 3.8 V6 getting almost 350hp. Rear wheel drive, fully defeatable stability and traction control systems, and brembo brakes for under 30K.

Like the Toybaru FR-S, a middleweight RWD car that handles well is a sure thing, I think, why aint American makers on this? Whats so hard about keeping up?

Don't forget the Genesis R-Spec. What is it, something like 430. Hp?

Last edited:

itsbob

I bowl overhand

Your Toyoters got 370 HP?

HUNDAY has a LOT of cars that get 30 and better MPG, but that's not the point of THESE cars....

CrashTest

Your Toyoters got 370 HP?

Lets just say I'm not impressed with that Hyundai. Afterall, Toyota basically did it 20 years ago with a car called the Supra. Only difference is that the Supra was faster, did it with less HP, and did it 20 years ago.

frogman123

uhh... Lexus IS-250... makes me smile every day

glhs837

Power with Control
Don't forget the Genesis R-Spec. What is it, something like 430. Hp?

Lets just say I'm not impressed with that Hyundai. Afterall, Toyota basically did it 20 years ago with a car called the Supra. Only difference is that the Supra was faster, did it with less HP, and did it 20 years ago.

uhh... Lexus IS-250... makes me smile every day

I didnt Bob, but you can easily find RWD large cars with big power in the 40-50K range from at least one American maker. But the midsize area coupe, thats a bit different, American makers are not in the game.

Crash, 20 years ago with the Supra? Fast, yep, but at 41K (twice the cost, same car would be what in todays dollars?) back in 1997, it was pretty damn expensive. And only about as fast as my 2003 Neon, with a low 5s 0-60 and a 13.7 1/4 mile time:) About yes, 20 less HP, but twin turbos on a V6 will give you a helluva torque bump. But higher maint costs.

Frog, that is a nice car, and I am happy it makes you smile, but it doesnt really play in this league, powerwise. At a hair over 200hp, it comes up 70hp shy of the 4 cylinder, and 150hp shy of the V6.

itsbob

I bowl overhand

And in today's dollars, the Supra would cost a HELL of a lot more than the Hyundai.. had MUCH less restrictions on the cars emissions.. etc.. etc..

Besides, side by side on track day.. stock the Hyundai would outperform the Supra probably in all categories except MAYBE the 1/4 mile. There really is no comparison.

Supra was a GREAT car in the day, but it's day was over 20-30 years ago.

CrashTest

Besides, side by side on track day.. stock the Hyundai would outperform the Supra probably in all categories except MAYBE the 1/4 mile. There really is no comparison.

Supra was a GREAT car in the day, but it's day was over 20-30 years ago.

1994 Supra skidpad - .98g
1994 Supra slalom - 68.9mph

2013 Genesis R-Spec skidpad - .89g
2013 Genesis R-Spec slalom - 67.4mph

You're right. There really is no comparison

glhs837

Power with Control
I wouldn't say the Hyundai would beat the Supra, but you doing the apples to oranges thing. The Supra cost 44K new in 94. That's about 66K in 2011 dollars. These are not competing cars.

The point is a car under 30K, that rear wheel drive, and makes a gearhead smile to hammer the throttle or hit an onramp, American makers should be in that game. And they are not.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
The point is a car under 30K, that rear wheel drive, and makes a gearhead smile to hammer the throttle or hit an onramp, American makers should be in that game. And they are not.

That was what fed NASCAR. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday

...back when the National Stock Car Racing Association actually raced stock cars

Does your lexis have a manual transmission or are you just along for the ride?

glhs837

Power with Control
Who, me, I dont have a Lexus. And these days, a stick is out of the question for me due to knee problems. Can handle it in short stints, but daily use is out. Thats one reason the 360whp Neon had to go.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Who, me, I dont have a Lexus. And these days, a stick is out of the question for me due to knee problems. Can handle it in short stints, but daily use is out. Thats one reason the 360whp Neon had to go.

That would suck. I find an automatic's lack of engine braking scary.