Washable Markers on Kitchen Table

JabbaJawz

Be about it
My daughter was coloring w/washable markers on a coloring book on the kitchen table - some of the markers went astray and there are marks on the table. The table is a light wood, and the marks are very noticeable. What in the world can I use to get the marks out that won't hurt the table? I tried plain 'ol Pledge with no results. I even took a risk and tried a small dab of Clorox Clean-Up spray on one mark - didn't work. I'm at a loss. :confused:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Washable marker? Did you try a little hot soapy water or maybe a little toothpaste?

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Washable markers ain't all that washable on wood. Unfortuately, I know. About a year ago I had the same thing happen I tried every thing I could think of. When it started to pull the finish off the table and the marker was still there I stopped. Short of refinishing the table (which huntr is planning to do one of these days anyway) I don't know, but if you find out, lemme know. :ohwell:

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
Maybe a pencil eraser would rub it off...or denatured alcohol. :shrug:

TWLs wife

Originally posted by PFgal
My daughter was coloring w/washable markers on a coloring book on the kitchen table - some of the markers went astray and there are marks on the table. The table is a light wood, and the marks are very noticeable. What in the world can I use to get the marks out that won't hurt the table? I tried plain 'ol Pledge with no results. I even took a risk and tried a small dab of Clorox Clean-Up spray on one mark - didn't work. I'm at a loss. :confused:

Try Mayo. The oils in mayo break down color. I learned it in shop class many years ago.:nerd:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Re: Re: Washable Markers on Kitchen Table

Originally posted by TIGGER6035
Try Mayo. The oils in mayo break down color. I learned it in shop class many years ago.:nerd:

Interesting! So just put a glop of mayo on there and let it sit for a bit??

TWLs wife

Re: Re: Re: Washable Markers on Kitchen Table

Originally posted by PFgal
Interesting! So just put a glop of mayo on there and let it sit for a bit??

Yes. I know it get colors off of allmost everything. I hope it works for you.:huggy: :huggy:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I found this on Heloise's Household Hints BB:

Try spraying with hair spray and wipe up. Wash with a mild dish soap solution. Test a small area first. WD-40 or Goo Gone are good products to try too. Wipe in a circular motion.

Another said try rubbing alcohol.

Hope one of them helps!

Last edited:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Here's a GREAT stain removal site: Crayola stain removal help

If you pick 'Washable Markers' then 'finished wood (paint, stain, varnish)' it tells you:

How to remove Washable Markers from finished wood (paint, stain, varnish):

Materials

Soft Scrub (mild abrasive cleanser)
Sponge
Rubbing alcohol
Cotton ball

Procedure

Wipe all stains with a damp sponge. If any stain remains, apply Soft Scrub with a damp sponge, work in a circular motion and rinse. If stain remains, saturate a cotton ball with alcohol and blot the stain and rinse.

I think every parent should bookmark that site! :yay:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Thanks a ton, ya'll! I got busy into some other things after posting this, but am going to try out these tactics tomorrow night!! I certainly hope I have some luck!

Dymphna

Loyalty, Friendship, Love
Originally posted by KoolStuf
white (clear) vinegar or nail polish remover.

If nothing else works... paint over it!
Don;t use nail polish remover, someone told me that too. It will absolutely ruin the table. I've used vinegar before on regular ink with some success, but wax the table afterwards, it dries it out.