Anyone w/ kids at Appeal?

christy20657

The nurse called me this morning and told me that what appeared to me, to be sunburn/windburn on my daughters cheeks from horseback riding this weekend, was actually Fifth's disease. My first reply was "OMG what the heck is that and where did she get it from?"

I had NEVER heard of this! She said it is going around Appeal and once the rash is present (which usually begins on the cheeks) it is no longer contagious and that is why they are all getting it, because there are generally no symptoms prior to the rash and that is when it is contageous.

Just wanted to know if anyone has heard of this and if there are any other children who have been diagnosed? I was wondering why a letter did not go home informing parents once the first outbreak began. Thankfully its not dangerous and there are no underlying effects. However, if you are pregnant you should not come in contact w/ anyone who has this.

Elle

Happy Camper!
It’s the fifth in the series with Measles, mumps and the rest. They were creative when they named it!

Warron

I had a case recently of red dry skin on my cheeks and forehead that looked similar to sunburn. Even though I have spent very little time outside in the last few weeks. I thought I was having a reaction to a medication I was taking but I wonder if I came across this desease myself?

christy20657

Hey Warron most of the places that I see on line state that for the most part, kids over the age of 12 do not get it. Does not mean however it cannot happen. I am waiting to hear from my daughters doctor in that regard to be sure, considering I have a 15 year old son and my neighbors kids are constantly at my house. But it is also hot to the touch, that is why I thought it was either sun or wind burn.

Warron

>>Hey Warron most of the places that I see on line state that for the most part, kids over the age of 12 do not get it. <<

I saw that in the few web sites I just visited. I'm starting to believe otherwise myself. Beyond being red, my skin got very dry and was peeling a bit. I didn't read anything that mentioned dry peeling skin, only a red rash on the web sites for fifth's disease. So I think I just got really dry skin as a result of the medication I was taking. Now that I'm done with the med's the dryness is going away as well.

D

darkriver4362

I had a form(bad one) a few years back, I'm 18 now, but it attacked the joints in my knees and I already have arthritis in em...sucks but the form I had will stay with ya for about 10 years, not contagious but still show up in bloodwork....I never had the rash for more than 2 days, but it sucks.

RPM

5TH'S DISEASE IS NO BIG DEAL. i had it when i was a child. the only symptom that occurs before the rash shows up is itchyness. and that doesnt always happen.

D

darkriver4362

There's a bunch of different strains of it. Some have no symptoms at all, then there are some that are bad, I got the worst, and it really messes ya up for a bit there.

christy20657

When I got home last night, my daughter has this rash ALL OVER HER body now, she was itching some so I gave her an oatmeal bath and some benydryl. She says she is a little achey so today she stayed home w/ dad cuz he wants me to get her a doctor's appt. just to ease his mind that it is infact 5th's disease and not something else.

Overprotective daddy does not trust the school nurse to evaluate what is going on, although there is an outbreak at the school and she looks just like the pics on the websites! Oh well, better to be safe than sorry I guess!

Ehesef

Yo Gabba Gabba
I got Fifth's Disease when I was in the 3rd grade. I gave it to over half my class. My rash started on my stomach. Itched like hell, but I got 2 days off from school...My brother and sister never got it.

RodRugg

This kid at church got Third's Disease and let me just say you do NOT want that! He broke out in a mountain of hives and bubbles right there at church during the Doxology. They had to strap his legs together and put hymn books around his head to keep him from eating the seat cushion. The preacher said he had the third disease from the book of Revelations and he needed to be re-baptized as soon as he got out of the hospital. A lot of people got saved that day and some man coughed up blood after he hit his head running down the aisle. That kid never came back and the preacher said the Lord took him, but me and my grandma saw him at Wal-Mart three months later. She said he was evil and tried to knock him down with her shopping cart. The manager said there was no place for that and made us leave. Anyways, that kid joined another church across town and I told some kid who went there about it and he watched him every Sunday but he never saw that kid bubble up.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by darkriver4362
I had a form(bad one) a few years back, I'm 18 now, but it attacked the joints in my knees and I already have arthritis in em...sucks but the form I had will stay with ya for about 10 years, not contagious but still show up in bloodwork....I never had the rash for more than 2 days, but it sucks.

That sounds more like lyme disease than Fifths disease. My daughter was misdiagnosed for months, every doctor said she had fifths disease when it was actually lyme. Lyme disease is nasty business if not treated.

D

darkriver4362

Originally posted by Christy
That sounds more like lyme disease than Fifths disease. My daughter was misdiagnosed for months, every doctor said she had fifths disease when it was actually lyme. Lyme disease is nasty business if not treated.

Yeah they thought that too....one doctor said lyme, one said fifths, it turned out (a year later) to be a form of fifths, It has a different name, I'll try to find my bill from then and get it for ya, The only thing they could give ya is Prednisone for it to help the linflamation, it was worse on me because i had hurt alot of my joints when I was younger being a retard on a dirt bike....but if their knee's or shoulders start being sore, make sure you bring em back to the docs' maybe they have something better to treat it with now.

P.S., I had lyme disese too....I think the only thing I haven't had was West Nile lol.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Originally posted by RodRugg
This kid at church got Third's Disease and let me just say you do NOT want that! He broke out in a mountain of hives and bubbles right there at church during the Doxology. They had to strap his legs together and put hymn books around his head to keep him from eating the seat cushion. The preacher said he had the third disease from the book of Revelations and he needed to be re-baptized as soon as he got out of the hospital. A lot of people got saved that day and some man coughed up blood after he hit his head running down the aisle. That kid never came back and the preacher said the Lord took him, but me and my grandma saw him at Wal-Mart three months later. She said he was evil and tried to knock him down with her shopping cart. The manager said there was no place for that and made us leave. Anyways, that kid joined another church across town and I told some kid who went there about it and he watched him every Sunday but he never saw that kid bubble up.
:lmao: