Protecting Veterans from Deceptive Marketing

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
MIKULSKI, SENATE COLLEAGUES CALL FOR PROTECTING VETERANS FROM DECEPTIVE MARKETING PRACTICES

Senators urge VA to trademark the phrase ‘GI Bill’ to stop for-profit schools from targeting veterans with misleading advertisements

Washington - U.S. Senator Barbara A. Mikulski (D-Md.), a member of the Senate Military Family Caucus, joined with 13 colleagues today in urging Secretary of Veterans Affairs Eric Shinseki to file a trademark application with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office for the phrase ‘GI Bill’ to help protect veterans from deceptive marketing by for-profit colleges and universities.

Recent investigations by the Government Accountability Office (GAO) and the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) found that many for-profit colleges and universities use predatory recruiting practices and false advertising to encourage prospective students to enroll, despite having low student success rates and high costs. Many of these ads specifically target veterans. Trademarking the phrase ‘GI Bill’ would help bring this to an end by allowing the Department of Veterans Affairs to ensure that the phrase is only being used to provide impartial and comprehensive information about these benefits.

In their letter, the Senators write, “Since 1944 the phrase ‘GI Bill’ has been a symbol of our nation’s obligation to give back to those who serve. Any attempt to mislead veterans into using these hard-earned benefits for substandard or overpriced programs should not be tolerated. As such, we ask that you trademark the phrase ‘GI Bill’ to help ensure that our veterans are not unfairly targeted.”

In addition to Senator Mikulski, the letter is signed by Senators Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.), Tom Harkin (D-Iowa), Richard Durbin (D-Ill.), Ron Wyden (D-Ore.), Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.), Al Franken (D-Minn.), Max Baucus (D-Mont.), Sherrod Brown (D-Ohio), Tim Johnson (D-S.D.), Kay Hagan (D-N.C.), Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.), Mark Begich (D-Ark.) and Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.).

The full text of the Senators’ letter is below:

-----

March 2, 2012

The Honorable Eric K. Shinseki
Department of Veterans Affairs
801 Vermont Avenue NW
Washington, DC 20420

Dear Secretary Shinseki:

We write to express our deep concern about the growing trend of deceptive practices being used by some for-profit colleges and universities to recruit veterans. Specifically, the phrase “GI Bill” is being used as a marketing tool by a number of for-profit schools to attract prospective students into programs that overpromise the benefits of their classes or charge exorbitant fees. To combat this growing problem, we strongly urge the Department of Veterans Affairs to file a trademark application with the Patent and Trademark Office for the phrase “GI Bill.”

By securing a federal trademark, the Department of Veterans Affairs would be able to exert control over how the phrase “GI Bill” is used. For example, the Department of Veterans Affairs would have the discretion to permit legitimate websites or entities to use the phrase “GI Bill” to inform veterans about education benefits in an impartial and comprehensive manner.

At the same time, a federal trademark would prevent the phrase “GI Bill” from being used in misleading or dishonest marketing campaigns. A recent investigation by the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (HELP) found that many for-profit colleges and universities are using predatory recruiting practices and false advertising to encourage veterans to enroll in their institutions, despite having low student success rates and high costs. A trademark would help bring this to an end.

Since 1944 the phrase “GI Bill” has been a symbol of our nation’s obligation to give back to those who serve. Any attempt to mislead veterans into using these hard-earned benefits for substandard or overpriced programs should not be tolerated. As such, we ask that you trademark the phrase “GI Bill” to help ensure that our veterans are not unfairly targeted.

The federal government regularly protects phrases, such as “American Veterans” and names of federal benefit programs like “Medicare” and “Social Security.” We feel strongly that the phrase “GI Bill” should also be protected.

Thank you for your consideration of this important request.

Sincerely,

Barbara Boxer
United States Senator

Tom Harkin
United States Senator

Richard Durbin
United States Senator

Ron Wyden
United States Senator

Claire McCaskill
United States Senator

Al Franken
United States Senator

Barbara Mikulski
United States Senator

Max Baucus
United States Senator

Sherrod Brown
United States Senator

Tim Johnson
United States Senator

Kay Hagan
United States Senator

Frank Lautenberg
United States Senator

Mark Begich
United States Senator

Richard Blumenthal
United States Senator

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
This is a good thing. Defrauding the military and veterans is on the rise.

BOP

I'm really suspicious any time a Democrat puts their name to something like this.

Rommey

I'm really suspicious any time only Democrat puts their name to something like this.
(fixed...)

I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt...for now. The lack of any Republicans suggests something other than what's being presented. Time will tell.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
AS everything else with the liberals, this is just a first step.

The next step will be limiting what schools the GI Bill can be used for, those nasty old for profit schools will be off limits.
Only certain schools that abide by all of their rules and give special rights to the special people of their choosing.

CrashTest

AS everything else with the liberals, this is just a first step.

The next step will be limiting what schools the GI Bill can be used for, those nasty old for profit schools will be off limits.
Only certain schools that abide by all of their rules and give special rights to the special people of their choosing.

Having more control over GI Bill money would actually be a good thing. The company I work for won't your reimburse tuition cost unless you can show them that your education is job related and will benefit the company.

However, I don't think this is what the Dems want to do. As usual, they just want to protect all the folks since all the folks are too stupid to do the right thing.

BOP

(fixed...)

I'd be willing to give them the benefit of the doubt...for now. The lack of any Republicans suggests something other than what's being presented. Time will tell.

I thought that was the case (only democrats), but was too lazy to look it up.

:buddies:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Having more control over GI Bill money would actually be a good thing. The company I work for won't your reimburse tuition cost unless you can show them that your education is job related and will benefit the company.

However, I don't think this is what the Dems want to do. As usual, they just want to protect all the folks since all the folks are too stupid to do the right thing.

Why should the government have ANY control of MY money.... They don't control what people do with welfare money, or SSI, and unlike that money the GI Bill is earned..

BOP

:yeahthat: If Miculskrat and Boxer are involved, it's got to be some bad for us.

I have a strong suspicion that this is a back door attempt to control what kind of institute of higher learning a veteran is allowed to spend his or her GI bill on. For instance: a bible college, either a 2-year, or a 4-year, that isn't regionally or nationally accredited. I'm not a big fan of bible colleges, but I don't care if a veteran chooses to spend his or her GI Bill on that type of institution. As long as they feel like they receive value for their investment, that's between them and their preferred institution.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I have a strong suspicion that this is a back door attempt to control what kind of institute of higher learning a veteran is allowed to spend his or her GI bill on. For instance: a bible college, either a 2-year, or a 4-year, that isn't regionally or nationally accredited. I'm not a big fan of bible colleges, but I don't care if a veteran chooses to spend his or her GI Bill on that type of institution. As long as they feel like they receive value for their investment, that's between them and their preferred institution.

Exactly my point..

They can almost filter money to what schools, and only the schools, they deem worthy.

You go to a Catholic school that teaches heterosexuality, and abstinence? You're not going to be allowed to use your GI Bill money there.'

BYU?? Nope, not allowed.. GEORGETOWN?? Not unless they kowtow to their demands..

Your insurance doesn't offer free birth control?? No GI Bill money for YOU!!

All for the protection of our veterans, our children and the cute puppies..

b23hqb

PREMO Member
All people, veterans included, need to take care of themselves and be responsible for their actions, whether legit or not.

If being in the military for 4 years active and 21 years reserve taught me anything, it is responsibility - the responsibility to think things through, investigate alternatives, and just make the best decision for everyone, i.e., just google, do a fact check, a better business background check on all these peoples more than willing to take your GI Bill (whatever that is these days), employer educational allowances.

There does not need to be any new laws. Fraud is fraud. This law is merely extending, IMHO, discriminatory hate laws (which I can't stand) into the veteran population, making us just another discriminated against group, joining everyone else except for white males and Christians.

That sucks when someone thinks the vets need a law to protect them. It should be the exact opposite - vets take care of themselves and each other.

We do have the training and background to handle the situation, don't we?

Lock & load, what used to be America.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Have any military veterans on the forum used their GI Bill educational benefits yet? Just curious, since I seem to recall the VA will not pay for educational tuition and fees at a fly-by-night correspondence school or night classes. The critically important part of the letter from the Democrats is the single word 'profit.'

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Have any military veterans on the forum used their GI Bill educational benefits yet? Just curious, since I seem to recall the VA will not pay for educational tuition and fees at a fly-by-night correspondence school or night classes. The critically important part of the letter from the Democrats is the single word 'profit.'

EVERY single penny...

I used VEAP AND the GIBill up to the point that I got the letter saying I had exhausted my account.

It got me from a HS Diploma when I retired to where I am today!!

What's confusing is ALL colleges make money, that's what they do, it's just the term profit that throws people into a tizzy. HARVARD isn't open to break even, just as well as UTI, Devry and the University of Phoenix.. or NC State, or Utah State or any of the other thousands of "state schools"..