Duplication/copying of government ID prohibited

dustin

UAIOE
REMINDER:

Personnel are reminded that the photocopying of US Government
Identification is a violation of Title 18, US Code Part I, Chapter 33,
Section 701 and punishable by both fine and/or imprisonment.

Many military members, family members and DoD employees are
unaware of this law. Please pass to the lowest level and include in
training for force protection, information security and OPSEC.

It is recommended that military/DoD personnel provide a state drivers license or other form of photo identification to be photocopied if an establishment insists on a photocopy of the traveler’s identification.

*NOTE: This does not apply to medical establishments (i.e. doctor’s office, hospitals, etc…) who are allowed take a copy for the purpose of filing insurance claims; and other government agencies in the performance of official government business.

http://dcp.psc.gov/ccbulletin/PDF_docs/SA Bulletin - Photocopying of US Gov ID_27 Oct 2011.pdf

Photocopying of Military ID Cards and CAC Cards Prohibited

From DODINST 1000.13 (Dec 5, 1997), Section 6.1.7
http://www.dtic.mil/whs/directives/corres/pdf/100013p.pdf
Photocopying of the DD Forms 2, DD Form 1173, or DD Form 1173-1 to
facilitate medical care processing, check cashing, or administering other military-related benefits to eligible beneficiaries are examples of authorized photocopying.

Last edited:

DEEKAYPEE8569

REMINDER:

I guess, because it doesn't say "Reproduction prohibited" and/or "punishable by law," people actually do that?

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
REMINDER:

Many military members, family members and DoD employees are
unaware of this law. Please pass to the lowest level and include in
training for force protection, information security and OPSEC.

It is recommended that military/DoD personnel provide a state drivers license or other form of photo identification to be photocopied if an establishment insists on a photocopy of the traveler’s identification.

*NOTE: This does not apply to medical establishments (i.e. doctor’s office, hospitals, etc…) who are allowed take a copy for the purpose of filing insurance claims; and other government agencies in the performance of official government business.

http://dcp.psc.gov/ccbulletin/PDF_docs/SA Bulletin - Photocopying of US Gov ID_27 Oct 2011.pdf

Photocopying of Military ID Cards and CAC Cards Prohibited

This is very interesting, thanks for posting it, Dustin. I wonder how the military pharmacies (actually Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs) got away with requiring a photocopy of a beneficiary's ID card (front and back) with written permission from the card holder to pick up prescriptions. We might throw DoD into a tizzy by pointing this prohibition out to them. :elaine:

dustin

UAIOE
Title 18, US Code Part I, Chapter 33, section 701

http://uscode.house.gov/download/pls/18C33.txt

-CITE-
18 USC Sec. 701 01/07/2011

-EXPCITE-
TITLE 18 - CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE
PART I - CRIMES
CHAPTER 33 - EMBLEMS, INSIGNIA, AND NAMES

-HEAD-
Sec. 701. Official badges, identification cards, other insignia

-STATUTE-
Whoever manufactures, sells, or possesses any badge,
identification card, or other insignia, of the design prescribed by
the head of any department or agency of the United States for use
by any officer or employee thereof, or any colorable imitation
thereof, or photographs, prints, or in any other manner makes or
executes any engraving, photograph, print, or impression in the
likeness of any such badge, identification card, or other insignia,
or any colorable imitation thereof, except as authorized under
regulations made pursuant to law, shall be fined under this title
or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

-SOURCE-
(June 25, 1948, ch. 645, 62 Stat. 731; Pub. L. 103-322, title
XXXIII, Sec. 330016(1)(E), Sept. 13, 1994, 108 Stat. 2146.)

-MISC1-
HISTORICAL AND REVISION NOTES
Based on title 18, U.S.C., 1940 ed., Secs. 76a, 76b (June 29,
1932, ch. 306, Secs. 1, 2, 47 Stat. 342; May 22, 1939, ch. 141, 53
Stat. 752).
Sections were consolidated.
The term "department or agency" was substituted for "department
or independent office" in two places to embrace all properly
constituted agencies as defined in section 6 of this title and to
eliminate any possible ambiguity as to scope of section.
Minor changes were made in phraseology.

AMENDMENTS
1994 - Pub. L. 103-322 substituted "fined under this title" for
"fined not more than $250".

-End-

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It is recommended that military/DoD personnel provide a state drivers license ]

When I presented a photocopy of my MD drivers license to an MVA clerk (I was there to get the original one, lost, replaced), I was informed in no uncertain terms that I had broken the law by copying my drivers license and should not have shown it to her.....

? :shrug: I know it would not be the first time an MVA clerk was incorrect, but..

MMDad

Lem Putt
This is very interesting, thanks for posting it, Dustin. I wonder how the military pharmacies (actually Assistant Secretary of Defense for Health Affairs) got away with requiring a photocopy of a beneficiary's ID card (front and back) with written permission from the card holder to pick up prescriptions. We might throw DoD into a tizzy by pointing this prohibition out to them. :elaine:

Read the part that starts with *NOTE:

When I presented a photocopy of my MD drivers license to an MVA clerk (I was there to get the original one, lost, replaced), I was informed in no uncertain terms that I had broken the law by copying my drivers license and should not have shown it to her.....

? :shrug: I know it would not be the first time an MVA clerk was incorrect, but..

Nothing on my license that says that.... Going to look for a doc.

On occasion you see a "helpful suggestion" floating around to copy the contents of your wallet in case you lose it, so you have all the numbers and contacts of your credit cards, license, etc....

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
On occasion you see a "helpful suggestion" floating around to copy the contents of your wallet in case you lose it, so you have all the numbers and contacts of your credit cards, license, etc....

Exactly. I keep copies of all important IDs and the like, including my passport and any visas therein.

Despite what the 'nice lady at MVA' told me, I still do keep a copy of my license. But the incident left me wondering about the legal issues.

Exactly. I keep copies of all important IDs and the like, including my passport and any visas therein.

Despite what the 'nice lady at MVA' told me, I still do keep a copy of my license. But the incident left me wondering about the legal issues.

I did a bunch of different searches, came up with nothing. Didn't say you could copy it, but didn't say you couldn't either.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Read the part that starts with *NOTE:

I saw that part but it still doesn't authorize a beneficiary handing over a copy (front and back) of his ID card to someone who is going near the military pharmacy to pick up prescriptions. A civilian hospital treating a beneficiary needs a copy of the beneficiary's ID card for TRICARE billing since TRICARE has no separate 'This person is enrolled in TRICARE' enrollment cards.

awpitt

Main Streeter
Nothing on my license that says that.... Going to look for a doc.

Doesn't need to be. If it's in the Annotated Code, it applies.

chernmax

NOT Politically Correct!!
I'm always on the lookout for fake ID's...

Attachments

• fakeidcq0.jpg
    fakeidcq0.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 316

nhboy

Ubi bene ibi patria
I looked up the word "colorable", so it may be that the copying of ID would depend on your intent.

"Definition of COLORABLE
: seemingly valid or genuine <a colorable claim in law>
: intended to deceive : counterfeit <colorable and false pretenses> "

B

BET

I saw that part but it still doesn't authorize a beneficiary handing over a copy (front and back) of his ID card to someone who is going near the military pharmacy to pick up prescriptions. A civilian hospital treating a beneficiary needs a copy of the beneficiary's ID card for TRICARE billing since TRICARE has no separate 'This person is enrolled in TRICARE' enrollment cards.

I had a representative on the benefits line ask me for a photo copy of an ID card for proof of TRICARE coverage. I had to tell them that it was illegal (they acted as if they had not idea).