CAE testing for goat herd

flarenuphope

laura+flare= gone
Hi all,
I'm wanting to get my herd tested for CAE, but the vet that I use doesn't know how to test via fecal, only blood test, which would run me $20+ per goat. I was wondering if there was any SOMD vet that's able to run the test with just a fecal, and about how much that would run.

red_explorer

hmm

Hi all,
I'm wanting to get my herd tested for CAE, but the vet that I use doesn't know how to test via fecal, only blood test, which would run me $20+ per goat. I was wondering if there was any SOMD vet that's able to run the test with just a fecal, and about how much that would run.

I'd only ever heard of blood tests, but just searched it on the web. Looks to be actually more expensive then the blood tests. I'd talk to Dr. Runde at Tidewater, and see if he thinks its a viable way of testing. He is the resident goat expert in Southern MD.....

Cowgirl

You can pull blood yourself and send it in to Biotracking. It's incredibly cheap, something like $4-7 (can't remember exactly) per goat plus shipping, which isn't much. Just get plain red top tubes from your vet, and use a needle and syringe to draw the blood. They've got a how-to video on their website.