"Sales"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Am I the only one who couldn't care less about a "special sale" where you get $1 off a $22 box of K-cups? Or 10% off my purchase of $100 or more at Belk?

One dollar isn't going to make me go, "Wow! Gotta get some K-cups!" Nor will saving $10 make me spend $100. Unless, of course, I was going to buy the items anyway, in which case the sale is moot and just a bonus for me with no benefit for the store.

Is this type of marketing really effective?

frequentflier

happy to be living
Am I the only one who couldn't care less about a "special sale" where you get $1 off a $22 box of K-cups? Or 10% off my purchase of $100 or more at Belk?

One dollar isn't going to make me go, "Wow! Gotta get some K-cups!" Nor will saving $10 make me spend $100. Unless, of course, I was going to buy the items anyway, in which case the sale is moot and just a bonus for me with no benefit for the store.

As a small retailers (point of view and experience) yes, giving 10% off does work (though I usually do 20% which works even better!) Most people are looking to save a buck or two wherever they can.
Unfortunately, some bigger stores inflate their product pricing during a "sale" so when you think you are getting a discount, it may not really be such a bargain. I do believe consumers are becoming smarter shoppers, though.

As a consumer, when I can: I do take advantage of sales and I do clip and use coupons for products I regularly use especially when something is on sale. I planned my grocery trip a couple days ago to BJ's and Food Lion and saved about $30 using coupons. About 10-15%. Honestly, I wish I had more time to stay on top of saving money- I could do so much better than that!

Last edited:

Radiant1

Soul Probe

No. I'm the same. I also refuse to use coupons that force me to buy two or three of an item in order to save a mere 10 cents.

I often think if a store can afford to give me a 20% discount this week, then they likely could offer the product/s to me at 20% less to begin with. That kind of ticks me off and sometimes I'll get an attitude and refuse to patronize the store on principle and find somewhere else that doesn't have such a huge mark-up to begin with (usually internet).

unlisted

SMOOTHMARINE187

I always laugh at the idiots that line up and wait at the gas station because it's 2 cents cheaper per gallon than the place across the street. I'm not waiting around to save 20cents.

Vince

By the time you figure in the gas it takes to go to the place that has this special sale, your time, etc., you can order it on line cheaper. I don't care about sales unless they're from an outlet I buy from on line and then only for specific items.

lovinmaryland

I always laugh at the idiots that line up and wait at the gas station because it's 2 cents cheaper per gallon than the place across the street. I'm not waiting around to save 20cents.

Thats like those idiots who check gas prices online and drive 10 minutes out of their way to get it 5 cents cheaper. Uh hey dur hard youre defeating the purpose :lol:

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Thats like those idiots who check gas prices online and drive 10 minutes out of their way to get it 5 cents cheaper. Uh hey dur hard youre defeating the purpose :lol:
:highfive: Gas prices in the area are pretty parallel with each other, maybe differing a few pennies. I'm not about to drive over the bridge because I can save $.05 per gallon. :yawn:

Vince

:highfive: Gas prices in the area are pretty parallel with each other, maybe differing a few pennies. I'm not about to drive over the bridge because I can save $.05 per gallon. :yawn:
Same here. If it's on my way to work fine. If not, I'll pay the price wherever I happen to be.

frequentflier

happy to be living
No. I'm the same. I also refuse to use coupons that force me to buy two or three of an item in order to save a mere 10 cents.

I often think if a store can afford to give me a 20% discount this week, then they likely could offer the product/s to me at 20% less to begin with. That kind of ticks me off and sometimes I'll get an attitude and refuse to patronize the store on principle and find somewhere else that doesn't have such a huge mark-up to begin with (usually internet).

Right now, I have some treats 20% off that were once great sellers and hope to at least recoop my money before they expire. The goal is to make room for new treats to replace them- and maybe even pay for them!
For a small business, it's all a balancing act. If I need more cash flow, I will mark some stuff down to bring extra sales in.
Huge markup? Used to be a retailer could "keystone" or double thier money on goods. Now, we are struggling to maintain a 40 to 50% markup; particularly on food and treats.
E-commerce businesses don't have the overhead and can afford to sell for less. But if you think small businesses such as mine are getting rich, you are way off the mark.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Right now, I have some treats 20% off that were once great sellers and hope to at least recoop my money before they expire. The goal is to make room for new treats to replace them- and maybe even pay for them!
For a small business, it's all a balancing act. If I need more cash flow, I will mark some stuff down to bring extra sales in.
Huge markup? Used to be a retailer could "keystone" or double thier money on goods. Now, we are struggling to maintain a 40 to 50% markup; particularly on food and treats.
E-commerce businesses don't have the overhead and can afford to sell for less. But if you think small businesses such as mine are getting rich, you are way off the mark.

You should start mounting and balancing motorcycle tires..

There's a HUGE mark-up there.. (worth it, but still a HUGE mark-up)

Radiant1

Soul Probe

I don't particularly think you're getting rich, but I suspect you're not struggling either. I didn't particularly have small business in mind when I said huge mark-up; however, if retailers can still make a decent profit with a 20% sale, then perhaps they should just keep the price that low to begin with and consumers like me would be more than happy to patronize them. Business is business and it is what it is. :shrug:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
And have been meaning to ask..

I believe you have acquarium supplies (fish food and the like) do you carry fish???

I'm down to the last two Cichlids and need more!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't particularly think you're getting rich, but I suspect you're not struggling either. I didn't particularly have small business in mind when I said huge mark-up; however, if retailers can still make a decent profit with a 20% sale, then perhaps they should just keep the price that low to begin with and consumers like me would be more than happy to patronize them. Business is business and it is what it is. :shrug:

Big box stores have the marketing resources to draw customers in and can also purchase for less because of their volume. That's why dog food is cheaper at Wal-Mart than it is at Pepper's. And also because Wal-Mart doesn't sell the premium products that Pepper's does, but even if they did they would be able to sell for less.

If Wal-Mart makes 1% profit on a bag of dog food, that's 1% times a zillion bags a year, times a zillion stores. The small retailer can't possibly make 1% profit and stay in business because they just don't have the volume or the purchasing power to make that feasible.

frequentflier

happy to be living

Where did I say I made a decent profit with a 20% off sale? What I did say is I said I would be happy to recoop my money.

If my markup is 50% on a product I paid $4.00 wholesale; I make $2.00 for a total of $6.00. In the old days, you could make $4.00 but those days are long gone on many products esp with the big box stores carrying many products that used to only be available to small fries like me. I will put myself out of business if I try to keystone merchandise.
Now when I mark it down 20%, that means for that item I paid $4.00 for, I make a whopping $.80. Unfortunately, one of the products I am referring to is now for sale at many big box locations; which has hurt my sales. They are buying for a lot less than I can and charge a lot less as well.
After almost 5 years owning a retail store and adding a second store 1.5 years ago, I am finally paying most of my bills on time. And for what it's worth, I finally started paying myself one month ago. I am paid less than any of my 6 employees but what the hell, I'll take it!

buddscreekman

Where did I say I made a decent profit with a 20% off sale? What I did say is I said I would be happy to recoop my money.

If my markup is 50% on a product I paid $4.00 wholesale; I make $2.00 for a total of $6.00. In the old days, you could make $4.00 but those days are long gone on many products esp with the big box stores carrying many products that used to only be available to small fries like me. I will put myself out of business if I try to keystone merchandise.
Now when I mark it down 20%, that means for that item I paid $4.00 for, I make a whopping $.80. Unfortunately, one of the products I am referring to is now for sale at many big box locations; which has hurt my sales. They are buying for a lot less than I can and charge a lot less as well.
After almost 5 years owning a retail store and adding a second store 1.5 years ago, I am finally paying most of my bills on time. And for what it's worth, I finally started paying myself one month ago. I am paid less than any of my 6 employees but what the hell, I'll take it!

So how do you get by if you only a month ago started having income(paying yourself)? And if you make less than any employees,how were you able to afford opening a second location - I'd bet they can't afford to open a business? Not being argumentative,just curious because I often hear sbo make those same statements and yet opening and running a business is very expensive....the owner must have a decent amount to have ever even started. One more question - how do you stay in business,and by that I mean you or anyone else who is competing with Amazon and big box stores. There is literally nothing that can't be had for much cheaper elsewhere - I don't understand the customers mentality to pay more. I get it that people think they should support local business but to be honest,why would I support someone else's dream at a detriment to myself? Better to have the rich corporations and keep my cash,I'd think.

Last edited:

frequentflier

happy to be living
So how do you get by if you only a month ago started having income(paying yourself)? And if you make less than any employees,how were you able to afford opening a second location - I'd bet they can't afford to open a business? Not being argumentative,just curious because I often hear sbo make those same statements and yet opening and running a business is very expensive....the owner must have a decent amount to have ever even started.

I don't know who SBO is but I can tell you it is all a balancing act.
As far as getting by, I am married and my husband has traditionally paid the bills. We also ran through a lot of savings that I helped contribute to from when I was civil service and made decent money.

buddscreekman

For me,I don't give a flip about whether John Smith gets to live his dream of owning a store if it means I have to finance it....and to me that's what small business is all about. Same products,higher cost. I'm pretty much big box/warehouse/Amazon all day. I know the smaller places can't compete,and to me that is why they will eventually be obsolete.

buddscreekman

I don't know who SBO is but I can tell you it is all a balancing act.
As far as getting by, I am married and my husband has traditionally paid the bills. We also ran through a lot of savings that I helped contribute to from when I was civil service and made decent money.

SBO=small business owners.