Question for Tommy McKay

Darlene

I am a lifetime resident of St. Mary's County. I remember a long ago in a local newpaper reading that funds were embezzeled from Tommy Mckay's father's business. WHAT"S the story???

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
I do recall the rumor that you mentioned, but I question the accuracy of your statement that this rumor ever appeared in a newspaper. I don't believe he was ever charged or arrested for anything.

Working in a family business is probably the most challenging regular daily activity that a family can subject themselves to. (eh chuckster?)

Tommy is President of McKays Food and Drug, and Woodburns in Solomons. His parents are actively supporting his campaign, as they have been working the campaign trail with him.

If their family faced some challenges years ago, and have since worked through them, (obviously - the guy's running the company!) then more power to them! But a rumor is just that, and I think this one is too unsubstantiated to appear in a newpaper. It's family business, that appears to have been worked out within the family, if it was ever true to begin with.

chuckster

IMFUBARED
Originally posted by Nodnarb
Working in a family business is probably the most challenging regular daily activity that a family can subject themselves to. (eh chuckster?)
Tommy is President of McKays Food and Drug, and Woodburns in Solomons. His parents are actively supporting his campaign, as they have been working the campaign trail with him.

It can also be the most rewarding. Families that operates businesses as a team seem to be stronger.

I wish Tommy well and hope that he wins. I feel that someone with a strong business background should head things up. This county needs a person who understands a P&L Statement, knows how to operate within a budget, and can say no to spending.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Most definitely, on all accounts...

In the Republican President's Primary race, Tommy McKay and Rocky Rowland are both very strong candidates. Either should do well against Julie Randall in the general election. (Pappy Wade is a nice man, but I don't see him pulling one out against Randall.)

I'll be glad when the primaries are over so we can really get to the nuts and bolts of these campaigns.

Darlene

Well...isn't this a coincidence Nodnarb...you recall the embezzlement "rumor" and I READ about it. I do agree with your statement about working in a family business. My father had owned and operated a family business in St. Mary's Co. for almost 30 years now. Our family has also faces some challenges with the business. But I know for a fact that my father has never laid his head on his pillow at night wondering if one of his children have ripped him off! Running a food store and running a county are two different things. If Tommy McKay is elected...this county will be totally SCREWED!!!:flush:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
You have tried and convicted the man for something you and I know nothing about. Your judgement has no basis in fact and reality.

We hear rumors every day. I heard Glendenning was gay, but then as it turns out, he's shaggin' one of his staff members. Now, not only are they married, but with a newborn. Rumors are worthless.

So, I base my judgement on the -fact- that he is running the company. The -fact- that his parents are supporting his campaign. These two -facts- are evidence contrary to the rumors, and just plain common sense.

How do you know those rumors weren't started by a competing grocer who wanted to see him fail over in Solomons at Woodburns? Or a disgruntled employee? If your family has been in business for 30 years here in St. Mary's, then I am sure you have had your fair share of unfounded rumors about your company from competitors and ex-employees. And, we both know how many of those are true. (Zero-Zippy!)

Where are your facts? The -fact- that he is President of the company, and the -fact- that his parents are campaigning FOR their son is enough concrete evidence for me, and most reasonable people, to conclude that the rumor isn't worth the time we've already spent on it.

Who do you support for the SMC Commissioner President? In addition to McKay, your choices are Rocky Rowland on the Republican side. And on the Democrat ticket, Julie Randall and Pappy Wade.

Republican

Misinformation is dangerous

:barf:
It appears that Nodnarb is not only for McKay, but is not very knowledgeable about politics or McKay himself. MaKay is the COO of MaKays Food and Drug. He is President of the Woolburn store. He also owns it with his sister, ergo his position. By embezzing over a million from his Father's business, he delayed the building of the new store on Great Mills. His father orginally started an investigation of one of his Managers and then had to quickly hid the fact that it was his son instead of the manager. While the embezzment was in the enterprize, the above was from the father himself.
MaKay also has low moral standards. He is married and has children, but he lives with another woman. With the liberal concept of morals ie. Clinton values, I know this is not important to a lot of today's Individuals. However, I cannot support an embezzler who has no morals or ethics.
Anybody who has work with government knows that most business pratices will not work with government. McKay is of the opinion he can (very foolish).

Last edited:

Darlene

Thank you Republican!!! I rest my case! To answer your question Nodnarb; I am a Republican...and there is no way in hell Tommy McKay is getting my vote. So put this "rumor" in your pipe and smoke it!

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
It's pretty obvious, from my statements of fact, that I am not the one smoking the pipe. I find it interesting how two new users here have registered for the sole purpose of slamming a particular candidate. Politics sure can be stirring... It's quite obvious that you don't want to talk politics. I asked you about this race and you continue to slam the candidate. Tell me about the attributes and qualities of Rocky Rowland, the only other Republican candidate in that primary race.

Darlene, do you think that if you stole a million dollars from your fathers company, that 10 years later you would be running it?

I'm not here to defend anyone. I'd rather hear what you think about Rocky. Let everyone use their common sense and decide about McKay. But the best way might be to illustrate the opponents qualities. If you can contribute to that, we may just turn this into an intelligent, informative thread.

Repub - Thanks for the compliment, but I'm really just a dumb redneck SMIB who watches the Channel 10 forums, and enjoys the political debate.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
Rocky has an axe to grind with the current commissioners who didn't reappoint him to the appeals board. He also has an axe to grind with Planning and Zoning. He also has some good ideas about using technology in government, but I think Maryland's current budget problems will trickle down to the local level and strap our county budget.

I would have thought that the people who want to slander one candidate, would know -something- about the opponent. Makes their mission pretty obvious, huh?

Republican

Nodnarb - There are a lot of other debates that never make it to Channel 10. Channel 10 is currently four sales types and they are very inadquate when it comes to political activities.

Rocky knew he would not be reappointed to the Appeals board. He has no problems and had been training other individuals to take his place. Meanwhile he has served or is currently serving on several other boards.

Rocky decided a long time ago, that when he retired from Federal service he was going to run for County Commissioner President. A note about his mission:
1- Lower taxes
2- Less Regulation
3- More Service

After 30 plus years of management in Federal Service, I know he will accomplish this mission even with our County Goverment. He is an Engineer trained to solve problems.

Republican

BchBns - I will be surprised if your Candidate has the courage of a response. When challeged about this issue in a friendly environment, he quickly transfered the question to his father, who did not answer either.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
If he's been challenged about these allegations, and I think that was at one of the forums in mid-August, then certainly he will be better prepared with an answer, next time. If you subject yourself to public office, then you have to answer the tough questions too.

Of course Rocky knew he wouldn't be re-appointed, Repub... And, I wasn't considering Rocky's "axe" as a bad thing. He has good reason to be extremely motivated. As I said before, McKay and Rowland, either will make a good Republican contender. Personally, I'd rather see a person from the business community elected. Federal Service Engineer is certainly an upstanding career choices. But politics is a whole new ballgame.

Government provides service to taxpayers, just like a business provides goods and services to customers. I'd like to find out if business people can run government better than bureaucrats, but it's up to the voters to want the same.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I saw Mr. McKay on this morning as well. Curious why he didn't come in here and clear this whole embezzlement thing up.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I saw him too

Maybe he doesn't recall...uh...can't remember. :wink:

STMLADY

The question here is quite simple who do we want to run this County for the next 4 years. Do we want a man who has read the budget from Cover to cover, has made notes of what needs to be done, and who has the experience in dealing with the different boards having been a member of many of them, all on his own volunteer time! Wouldn't you want a man who has successfully brought to completion many multi-million dollar naval contracts? This is who I would want as my County Commissioner President. This man is Rocky Rowland. I haven't had the opportunity to be in the forum for a while so it is really interesting to stumble across this one.

I have seen how Julie works and don't like it. I had the pleasure of sitting through Tommy McKay speaking at the organization I belong to, and I have had the pleasure of working with Rocky. I don't know Pappy Wade.

My vote has been for one man since I heard he was going to Run for County Commissioner President and that is Rocky Rowland. The man will do all that he has said he will do

I would much rather have someone tried and true then someone who at the last day of registering to run, changes from Democrat to Republican.

Darlene

I saw Mr. McKay on this morning as well. Curious why he didn't come in here and clear this whole embezzlement thing up.
I think he was having troube posting. Looked to me like he did make an effort, but couldn't make it work

I am curious Cariblue, why do you think Tommy McKay tried to post a reply?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Darlene, how you know is you click on the "Active Users" title on the main page of the forums, right above the list of everyone who's on. That takes you to a screen that shows where everyone is - whether they're looking at a particular thread, etc. It also shows when someone is replying to a post or quoting a post. Kinda cool, huh?