Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Together We Can Fight Rising Gas Prices

  1. #1

    Together We Can Fight Rising Gas Prices

    Just passing on some information here:

    "We can make a difference and we need to be unified on this one. Are you in????
    #
    GAS WAR
    STARTS MAY 1st 2012
    #
    THIS IS NOT THE 'DON'T BUY' GAS FOR
    ONE DAY, BUT IT WILL SHOW YOU HOW
    WE CAN GET GAS BACK DOWN TO
    $1.00 PER GALLON.

    This was sent by a retired Coca Cola executive.
    It came from one of his engineer buddies who retired from Haliburton. If you are tired of the gas prices going up
    AND they will continue to rise this summer,
    take time to read this please.

    Phillip Hollsworth offered this good idea.
    This makes MUCH MORE SENSE than the
    "don't buy gas on a certain day" campaign
    that was going around last April or May!
    It's worth your consideration. Join the resistance!!!!

    I hear we are going to hit close to $ 5.00 a gallon
    by this summer and it might go higher!! Want
    gasoline prices to come down?

    We need to take some intelligent, united action.
    The oil companies just laughed at that
    because they knew we wouldn't continue
    to "hurt" ourselves by refusing to buy gas ...

    It was more of an inconvenience to us
    than it was a problem for them. BUT,
    whoever thought of this idea, has come
    up with a plan that can Really work.
    Please read on and join with us!

    By now you're probably thinking gasoline
    priced at about $.99 is super cheap. Me too!
    It is currently $3.85 at Costco and Sam's for
    regular unleaded in Phx. and Prescott and
    climbing every week.

    Now that the oil companies and the OPEC
    nations have conditioned us to think that the
    cost of a gallon of gas is CHEAP at $3.87 to 3.99,
    we need to take aggressive action to teach
    them that BUYERS control the marketplace..
    not sellers.

    With the price of gasoline going up more
    each day, we consumers need to take action.

    The only way we are going to see the price of gas
    come down is if we hit someone in the pocketbook
    by not purchasing their gas! And, we can do
    that WITHOUT hurting ourselves.

    How? Since we all rely on our cars, we can't
    just stop buying gas.

    But we CAN have an impact on gas prices if
    we all act together to force a price war.

    Here's the idea: For the rest of this year,
    DON'T purchase ANY gasoline from the
    two biggest companies (which now are one),
    Shell,Chevron, and Exxon.

    If they are not selling any gas, they will be inclined
    to reduce their prices. If they reduce their
    prices, the other companies will have to follow suit.

    But to have an impact, we need to reach literall
    y millions of these high priced gas buyers.
    It's really simple to do! Now, don't wimp out
    on me at this point...keep reading and I'll explain
    how simple it is to reach millions of people!!

    I am sending this note to 30 people. If each of us
    send it to at least ten more (30 x 10 = 300) ... and
    those 300 send it to at least ten more
    (300 x 10 = 3,000)... and so on, by the time the
    message reaches the sixth group of people, we
    will have reached over THREE MILLION consumers .
    If those three million get excited and pass this on
    to ten friends each, then 30 million people will
    have been contacted!

    If it goes one level further, you guessed it.....
    THREE HUNDRED MILLION PEOPLE!!!

    Again, all you have to do is send this to 10 people.
    That's all!

    How long would all that take? If each of us sends
    this e-mail out to ten more people within one day of
    receipt, all 300 MILLION people could conceivably
    be contacted within the next 8 days!
    Acting together we can make a difference.

    If this makes sense to you, please pass this message
    on. I suggest that we not buy from Shell Chevron
    or Exxon UNTIL THEY LOWER THEIR PRICES TO THE
    $.99 RANGE AND KEEP THEM DOWN. THIS CAN
    REALLY WORK.
    REMEMBER STARTING
    MAY 1st NO GAS
    FROM
    CHEVRON / EXXON / SHELL
    #
    (why wait till then, get into the habit by
    starting now) THANK YOU !"
    #
    #

  2. #2
    Tropical Bay_Kat's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Florida's Nature Coast
    Posts
    19,397
    That would be great, but the three listed are the only ones near my house. I do have a BP not horribly far away, usually the cheapest, just not the closest. Are they okay to buy from?

  3. #3
    Unpacking, still... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, MD
    Posts
    367
    This method won't really work. Gasoline is what is known as a fungible commodity, something whose origin is difficult, if not impossible, to tell. One refinery is likely supplying 3, 4 or more different brands. The pipelines carry the "raw" gas and each company's additives are added at the storage terminals, quite often as the delivery tankers are being loaded.

    So, the fuel you buy at Charlie's Gas n Grub could very well be from the exact same run as Bunyon's Exxon down the block.

    One way to bring down the price is to build more east coast refineries to process American produced petroleum,as well as pipelines to transport the crude and finished products.

    There is a huge surplus of refined petroleum being exported from US processors from the Gulf Coast area to Central and South America because folks on the east coast have such a NIMBY attitude about refineries and pipelines, which is why the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions have to import petroleum products.

    This, and using what we have more wisely.

    I used to own a pickup, but when I was looking to replace it after I got t-boned a couple years ago, I looked at my transport needs much more realistically. I now drive a Pontiac Vibe, which gives me 30 mpg as opposed to 20 mpg, and handles 95% of what I thought I needed the truck for...the other 5%, I can rent the capability, or do without.
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

  4. #4
    Give Peas a Chance Bustem' Down's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Dahlgren, VA
    Posts
    6,837
    Quote Originally Posted by spr1975wshs View Post
    This method won't really work. Gasoline is what is known as a fungible commodity, something whose origin is difficult, if not impossible, to tell. One refinery is likely supplying 3, 4 or more different brands. The pipelines carry the "raw" gas and each company's additives are added at the storage terminals, quite often as the delivery tankers are being loaded.

    So, the fuel you buy at Charlie's Gas n Grub could very well be from the exact same run as Bunyon's Exxon down the block.

    One way to bring down the price is to build more east coast refineries to process American produced petroleum,as well as pipelines to transport the crude and finished products.

    There is a huge surplus of refined petroleum being exported from US processors from the Gulf Coast area to Central and South America because folks on the east coast have such a NIMBY attitude about refineries and pipelines, which is why the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions have to import petroleum products.

    This, and using what we have more wisely.

    I used to own a pickup, but when I was looking to replace it after I got t-boned a couple years ago, I looked at my transport needs much more realistically. I now drive a Pontiac Vibe, which gives me 30 mpg as opposed to 20 mpg, and handles 95% of what I thought I needed the truck for...the other 5%, I can rent the capability, or do without.
    Yeah, my dad works at an oil company in Houston. All the gas the companies sell is the same gas, and they sell to each other. If one company has a surplus, they will sell it to the other company. For gas prices to go down step one would be to take the "speculation" out of the process. There's no reason for prices to go up a dollar because a warlord in Africa shoots a bunch of people.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by spr1975wshs View Post
    This method won't really work. Gasoline is what is known as a fungible commodity, something whose origin is difficult, if not impossible, to tell. One refinery is likely supplying 3, 4 or more different brands. The pipelines carry the "raw" gas and each company's additives are added at the storage terminals, quite often as the delivery tankers are being loaded.

    So, the fuel you buy at Charlie's Gas n Grub could very well be from the exact same run as Bunyon's Exxon down the block.

    One way to bring down the price is to build more east coast refineries to process American produced petroleum,as well as pipelines to transport the crude and finished products.There is a huge surplus of refined petroleum being exported from US processors from the Gulf Coast area to Central and South America because folks on the east coast have such a NIMBY attitude about refineries and pipelines, which is why the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic regions have to import petroleum products.

    This, and using what we have more wisely.

    I used to own a pickup, but when I was looking to replace it after I got t-boned a couple years ago, I looked at my transport needs much more realistically. I now drive a Pontiac Vibe, which gives me 30 mpg as opposed to 20 mpg, and handles 95% of what I thought I needed the truck for...the other 5%, I can rent the capability, or do without.
    The only problem with this is that 3 refineries on the east coast have shut down recently. A product of our reduction in gasoline usage, It is no longer profitable to refine gasoline....So much for the conservation argument..Maybe we should use more???

  6. #6
    Gort! Klaatu barada nikto High EGT's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2007
    Location
    In Your Head
    Posts
    1,060

    A False E-Rumor

    What you have here is an fictional old e-rumor thats been dressed up a little to appear current with the price of gas. NBF should do some home work and not be gullable before posting this stuff as fact.

    Boycott Exxon and Mobil?-Fiction!
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble.

  7. #7
    Unpacking, still... spr1975wshs's Avatar
    Member Since
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Lexington Park, MD
    Posts
    367
    Quote Originally Posted by dave1959 View Post
    The only problem with this is that 3 refineries on the east coast have shut down recently. A product of our reduction in gasoline usage, It is no longer profitable to refine gasoline....So much for the conservation argument..Maybe we should use more???
    This is an update for me. Isn't it a shame that imports cost less than producing our own?
    Take care - Steven
    "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn"

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by spr1975wshs View Post
    This is an update for me. Isn't it a shame that imports cost less than producing our own?
    uh..we are a net exporter of refined fuels, including gasoline.

    That said, as more refineries close down, we will probably cease to produce a surplus soon enough.

    What we do import a lot of is crude oil..and it is the cost of the oil that affects gas prices by far the most, not all the other factors and certainly not the poor sap that is selling it at his pumps or even the wholesaler that puts it in to his pump tanks.
    Last edited by Gilligan; 04-16-2012 at 10:57 AM.
    "Never loan out your wife or your chainsaw. It's too easy to throw a rod in either one. " -Abraham Lincoln

  9. #9
    Registered User pelers's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 2007
    Location
    socially inept engineer land
    Posts
    1,458
    Quote Originally Posted by High EGT View Post
    What you have here is an fictional old e-rumor thats been dressed up a little to appear current with the price of gas. NBF should do some home work and not be gullable before posting this stuff as fact.

    Boycott Exxon and Mobil?-Fiction!
    Snopes agrees. Amusing to watch the numbers change over the years.

    snopes.com: Gas Out

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Search:     Advanced Search
Search HELP

| Home | Help | Contact Us | About somd.com | Privacy | Advertising | Sponsors | Newsletter |

| What's New | What's Cool | Top Rated | Add A Link | Mod a Link |

| Announcements | Bookstore | Cafe | Calendar | Classifieds | Community |
| Culture | Dating | Dining | Education | Employment | Entertainment |
| Forums | Free E-Mail | Games | Gear! | Government | Guestbook | Health | Marketplace | Mortgage | News |
| Organizations | Photos | Real Estate | Relocation | Sports | Survey | Travel | Wiki | Weather | Worship |