Food fads and boogeymen

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
How does that happen? It was about a year ago that all of a sudden every magazine I subscribe to - from Self to Rachael Ray - was all over kale and had recipes for kale chips, adding kale to your regular dishes, etc. Like it was some new discovery that no one had ever heard of before. This went on for months.

Before that it was the blueberry that was the miracle of youth and health. Acai berries before that. Pomegranates. Suddenly these somewhat obscure fruits and veggies become wonder drugs.

And then there are the boogeymen. Corn, of all freaking things. Soy has Mel Gibsoned from hot to not. Wheat. Peanuts? Really?

The ones who demonize butter in favor of margarine really get me. Why would you recommend a science experiment concoction of chemicals over a natural dairy product that you can make in your own home with some cream and a food processor?

It's all marketing hype and I get that, but who picks and chooses (apparently at random) what is a dietary boon to mankind and what will now kill you even though we've been eating it all our lives? It's weird and unsettling.

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I'm just hoping that people stop buying ground beef and it drops in price..then I can stock my freezer with delicious pink slime.:clap:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
How does that happen? It was about a year ago that all of a sudden every magazine I subscribe to - from Self to Rachael Ray - was all over kale and had recipes for kale chips, adding kale to your regular dishes, etc. Like it was some new discovery that no one had ever heard of before. This went on for months.

Before that it was the blueberry that was the miracle of youth and health. Acai berries before that. Pomegranates. Suddenly these somewhat obscure fruits and veggies become wonder drugs.

And then there are the boogeymen. Corn, of all freaking things. Soy has Mel Gibsoned from hot to not. Wheat. Peanuts? Really?

The ones who demonize butter in favor of margarine really get me. Why would you recommend a science experiment concoction of chemicals over a natural dairy product that you can make in your own home with some cream and a food processor?

It's all marketing hype and I get that, but who picks and chooses (apparently at random) what is a dietary boon to mankind and what will now kill you even though we've been eating it all our lives? It's weird and unsettling.
Interesting, isn't it? Normally you could blame it on a savvy PR team, but I don't think kale has marketing representation. :lol: As far as corn and soy being bad, this has been discussed before. Too much of anything is not good for you. Corn, wheat and soy are used as fillers in a lot of foods and if you eat a diet of a lot of processed foods, you're eating a lot of corn, wheat and soy. I mean, I love corn and wheat (soy not so much because soy milk tastes nasty) but I don't think they belong in my ketchup or whatever. Anyway, magazines, and women's magazines in particular, are grossly unoriginal. You know that in April you're going to get your bikini body workouts (or slimdown diets) so you'll be ready for all the swimsuit issues in May. In November you'll get tips on how to "make it through the holidays" without gaining 10 lbs, and they'll be the same tips as last year but they hope nobody will notice. So, if one features kale as being OMGSOAWESOME, they all are going to want to follow suit.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
I was reading somewhere the other day that gerber daisies posses magical powers. Some say, healing magical youthful powers that will make your hair shinier and your teeth whiter. It only makes sense if you think about it. I mean, flowers, especially flowers that look like flowers, like gerbers, make people happy and happy people live longer and all so, obviously, gerber daisies make people live longer AND happier WITH shinier teeth and whiter hair. Or something like that.

And, they have Auntie Oxident properties, too, I heard. Whatever that is.

:buddies:

twinoaks207

Having Fun!

It is the magic power of "they" and the media's search for something "new" with which they can scoop the others (media including print, electronic, and digital modes).

I ignore them now. Rule to live by: "All things, in moderation." Do add in the corollary of: "go as pure and natural as you can". If you can't pronouce the ingredients, you have no business putting it into your body.