"girls" on HBO

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I tuned in because it was sup to be some hilarious 20-somthing version of sex and the city..it was trumped up because it was created/directed whatever by a female.

Anyone catch it?

It was horrible. I mean, h.o.r.r.i.b.l.e. I enjoy several shows on HBO (True blood sooooooon, hooray) So I was looking foward to bad language, humor and gratuitous nudity/sex...but instead was greeted with probably the most boring and soul crushing episode of tv, ever. It was devoid of any redeeming qualities, and certainly of anything I could call humor...

Now, I can't figure out if it is supposed to be taken seriously (I've read several tumblr and blog posts "like OMG, that is like, so totally me, hilar! and OMG whatsherface is like, gorg, im so happy shes not super thin. like, im so glad people can see what our generation is like and what we face"....I was under the impression it was satire..we were supposed to hate this characters, ridicule them, delight in their misery and ridiculousness...but instead I am rather shocked at the amount of people saying they relate..I don't relate at all..these characters are insipid, obnoxious, ignorant..the antithesis of everything I hope to do and achieve in my life..I can not, will not relate to them..and yet they weren't over the top enough for me to consider them effective satire..plus they kept trying to endear the audience to them..which only served to make me believe that they are meant to be relatable..I just can't figure it out. meanwhile, in the confusion..its still not funny :shrug:

I don't think I will waste my time with another episode..I am disapointed, as I think that it had some very funny potential as a storyline.

however, I will continue to watch "don't trust the B in apartment 23" that is a similar show, but rather hilarious and whatherface really IS gorgeous and quite funny.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I watched it. I'll usually give a show three or four episodes before I decide to give up on it (with the exception of Desperate Housewives, which I somehow managed to watch for years before realizing I hated it :lmao:). I'm kind of ambivalent about it. Didn't hate it, but didn't love it. It's definitely not what I was expecting, because like you I was expecting a modern/real life Sex and the City (I think because HBO marketed it that way themselves) and yeah...nothing like it. I'm usually a fan of HBO shows (Sopranos, Entourage, True Blood, Game of Thrones...I'm sure I'm missing some) and the only one I gave up on was Hung.

On another note, did you watch Veep? I DVRed that too and have higher hopes for it.

ETA: The girl who plays Shosanna (the weird girl who's the cousin of the British one) looks EXACTLY like my BFF from 5th grade. It's really weird and I had to google to make sure it wasn't her. :lmao:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I watched it. I'll usually give a show three or four episodes before I decide to give up on it (with the exception of Desperate Housewives, which I somehow managed to watch for years before realizing I hated it :lmao:). I'm kind of ambivalent about it. Didn't hate it, but didn't love it. It's definitely not what I was expecting, because like you I was expecting a modern/real life Sex and the City (I think because HBO marketed it that way themselves) and yeah...nothing like it. I'm usually a fan of HBO shows (Sopranos, Entourage, True Blood, Game of Thrones...I'm sure I'm missing some) and the only one I gave up on was Hung.

On another note, did you watch Veep? I DVRed that too and have higher hopes for it.

ETA: The girl who plays Shosanna (the weird girl who's the cousin of the British one) looks EXACTLY like my BFF from 5th grade. It's really weird and I had to google to make sure it wasn't her. :lmao:

noo, i meant to dvr it and forgot. But I read some disapointing review of it, but I will have to remember to check it out.

but girls..it was just..godawful. no other word for it. the only part that was remotely interesting was the super awkward sexytime scene..and that was more like looking at roadkill to see which guts are in the highway.
:killingme

noo, i meant to dvr it and forgot. But I read some disapointing review of it, but I will have to remember to check it out.

but girls..it was just..godawful. no other word for it. the only part that was remotely interesting was the super awkward sexytime scene..and that was more like looking at roadkill to see which guts are in the highway.
:killingme

Ew, you do that?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Wirelessly posted

Veep was actually not bad and was quite funny at times. I'll keep it in the rotation.

Wenchy

Hot Flash
People Magazine gave this show a high rating.

I'm on the second episode now and it's BAD. Not in a good way. :lol:

I still have Mad Men to watch tonight. :yahoo:

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Good, now I don't have to worry about watching it. :killingme

I can just wait for true blood:buddies:

It's awful. I still have to finish it (masochist) Just this episode and never again. The actors and story line all suck.

I might send an email to People.

I do enjoy True Blood and many others.

Unlike Nickel, I have watched every episode of Desperate Housewives and am sad this is the last season.

She still admitted to watching three. :killingme

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
True Blood isn't a comedy. :whistle: :lol: Have you seen Weeds? It is hilarious!

True :killingme But its make believe..and not *real* drama..nothing that's gonna trigger bad memories or something..or you know someone going through it..or anything relatable. ...plus, I am pretty sure I would watch paint dry if eric were standing by it :drool: