RAF Kittyhawk Mk.I (P-40E) Found In The Sahara

itsbob

I bowl overhand

b23hqb

PREMO Member
I heard they just found something like 30 Spitfires still in the crates buried in the desert..

End of WWII they figured (like we did after Vietnam) that it was cheaper to just dispose of them locally then bring them home..

I believe they are in GREAT shape as they were sill in the oringinal shipping packaging with oil and other preservation type wraps..

I think you may be referring to this article last week about buried fighters still crated in Burma at the end of WWII against Japan:

Buried Treasure: World War II Spitfires To Be Unearthed in Burma

E

EmptyTimCup

and of course the .50 cal are gone and someone smashed a gauge

:popcorn:

awesome find

spr1975wshs

Mostly settled in...
Ad Free Experience
Patron
That P-40 is in excellent shape considering...

My wife and me, the P-40 is second in our affection to the P-51 for WW 2 fighters...when I was a kid, there was a privately owned P-40 home ported at a little airfield a couple of towns north.

P-38 and P-61 are tied for third. :)

E

EmptyTimCup

That P-40 is in excellent shape considering...

My wife and me, the P-40 is second in our affection to the P-51 for WW 2 fighters...when I was a kid, there was a privately owned P-40 home ported at a little airfield a couple of towns north.

P-38 and P-61 are tied for third. :)

the Black Widow was interesting ... one was recovered from New Guinea

Railroad

Routinely Derailed
I love those old war birds. Strictly from an aesthetics perspective, my favorite WWII fighters are the Spitfire, the P-40, the P-51, the BF-109, and the ME-262. For WWII bombers, I like the B-17, the B-24, the B-25, and the B-26.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
This is a cool story. My favorite is the P-38 Lightening. I like to research stories like this, forgotten warbirds in Greenland, in lakes and mountian sides etc. I also like researching old closed cold war military bases. It's neat to their state of condition today.

Hessian

The Mitchell

I love those old war birds. Strictly from an aesthetics perspective, my favorite WWII fighters are the Spitfire, the P-40, the P-51, the BF-109, and the ME-262. For WWII bombers, I like the B-17, the B-24, the B-25, and the B-26.

had such a wide variety of gun & bombing configurations...The model I loved as a kid was the one with its nosecone packed with 20 mm/50 cal.

I thought the best dog-fights in Europe were probably between the FW 190 & the Thunderbolt (P-47)....the stories from the aces were always enthralling.
Natually when the "Black Sheep" came out,...every kid fell in love with the Cosair!

b23hqb

PREMO Member
had such a wide variety of gun & bombing configurations...The model I loved as a kid was the one with its nosecone packed with 20 mm/50 cal.

I thought the best dog-fights in Europe were probably between the FW 190 & the Thunderbolt (P-47)....the stories from the aces were always enthralling.
Natually when the "Black Sheep" came out,...every kid fell in love with the Cosair!

I knew the pilot of the Memphis Belle - Bob Morgan. I remember asking him once of his favorite fighter while he flew the B-17. I asked him what he thought of the P-40, P-51, or the Spitfire.

He said they were useless to him, his crew, and the rest of the early bombers. By the time Allied fighter aircraft could fly far enough to protect the bombers, the war in Europe was, in reality, over. The Axis had no chance of victory. Just a matter of time.

A lot like the South in our Civil War. A lot of pain, but just a matter of time before the inevitable.

He just wished he and his crew and so many more like him had had any kind of fighter support once east the English Channel.....

Heros all.

Last edited: