RV condundrum...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...what would be the Optimal RV/Trailer/combination for travel, camping and bringing along the bikes AND the dawg?

A. Ok, I have a pick up, a Tundra but, it's only rated for 8,000#'s towing.
I have a good motorcycle trailer it handles with ease. That's the simplest, cheapest solution; Tundra/trailer and stay at people's homes and hotels. Covers the motorcycle end BUT it leaves out the dog, so, no good. (I ain't not, no way, not no how tenting it) and lots of people I could mooch off of don't like dogs in their home not to mention hotels and motels. Not a solution.

B. The best I can find in a 5th wheel toy hauler is really pushing it weight wise for the Tundra. That would be great as it covers the bikes, RV'ing and adds the ability to set up camp and use the truck if weather is bad and a 5th wheel is going to be cheaper, for the most part, than a class C or A RV. And, get rid of motorcycle trailer. This would be best if not for the limited size of the truck.

C. A Class C or A toy hauler. Few and far between and the toy part really eats up RV space given I want to be able to fit two full sized bikes as well as gear, tools, etc. It would be great from the standpoint of one unit, towing nothing. It covers the bikes and dog and RV'ing, Not great but, a good solution.

D. A class C or A to pull motorcycle trailer. This adds a vehicle that sits most of the time. It would be best in terms of comfort as well as separating the oily dirty part from the living part. Also leaves the motorcycle trailer to be pulled by the pick up for short trips. Most expensive and problematic solution. This would work but, a lot of money.

So, in writing this down, it seems to me, I'd most like the pick up/5th wheel combo. A toy hauler travel trailer would work too but, by all accounts, 5th wheel is the preferred way to go.

Is it agreed that 5th wheel is more better than travel trailer?

And

How far can I can go with the Tundra? The dealer (and trailer salespeople) claim when you set them up for 5th wheel towing, you can safely go beyond the ratings. Of course they do.

Thoughts?

:popcorn:

It's not out of the question to get a stouter truck but, that's problematic in the near term = $.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
1) You could do more research into lodging. I have friends who take their dogs everywhere, and don't seem to have too much trouble finding lodging that allows them.

2) More research into the towing capacity of your truck when set up for 5th wheel. I know we have a lot more truck than we need to pull ours, but I really couldn't tell you what the minimum is. It all depends on the tow capacity and size RV you'll be hauling.

vbailey

vbailey
Don't go over your weight..you will want to pack things for camping into your camper/5th wheel,,lots of cool camping gear..that may take you over, so don't start out over weight...allow room for stuff..

I've been kind of looking at the same thing. For me it would mean a new truck to haul what I want. I need one soon anyway though. 2500 here we come. Gas prices, get ready to head for the sky. This is if I decide to do this.

ginwoman

We would love to have a 5th Wheel TOY HAULER. We always carry our dawgs and our golf cart. We have a camper trailer and a 3500 GMC which will hold the golf cart. Its a pretty good setup but have limited storage and is tricky to get all our "stuff" loaded. Everything has its "spot". There is a very nice toy hauler for sale at the Clements intersection.

nutz

Definitely look at some 5th wheel toy haulers. Tow capacity is different than pin weight. Airbag upgrade and a super glide hitch, should be good to go.

bcp

In My Opinion
Larry, there are a number of light weight (under 8k full loaded) toy hauler tag alongs that would suit you just fine.
The tundra would have no problem pulling these. The would have a bedroom for you, a "living room" kitchen, full bath and full hookups including central A/C and heat.

bcp

In My Opinion
For an example look up Salem Sport Toy Haulers.
They have a 28 ft model that is under 7k. Add the bike and you would be close to recommended weight.
You can also find them shorter, and lighter if you dont really care about so much interior room.

dave1959

When listening to all the "expert" advice on here, Please keep in mind...
" What you can tow, and what you should tow are two very different things.

Not to mention what type of terrain and how far. For a trip though the Rockys for example I would not want to be anywhere near max towing.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo

It's not how much you can tow, but how much you can safely stop.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I've never understood the allure of RV living.
You need a large initial investment and with a trailer you need a large tow vehical.
This allows you live in cramped quarters where you need to do all the same house keeping chores you do at home, cooking, cleaning, dishwashing, etc

How is this a vacation?

A motor home will cost at least $35-50k. I can stay in a lot of hotels and eat in a lot of resturants for that and I don't have to drive a bus getting 8 mpg to get there

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
You need a large initial investment and with a trailer you need a large tow vehical.
This allows you live in cramped quarters where you need to do all the same house keeping chores you do at home, cooking, cleaning, dishwashing, etc

How is this a vacation?

A motor home will cost at least $35-50k. I can stay in a lot of hotels and eat in a lot of resturants for that and I don't have to drive a bus getting 8 mpg to get there

we would take ours just about anywhere; on vacation, races or just a weekend somewhere. Our chores were a minimum as all our laundry came home to do, cooking was always outside on a grill and there is always something to do outside....Cramped quarters is a matter of your company, we had a 31ft with a superslide and it was very comfortable, kids has their own room with 4 bunk beds and we had a door to close them off :yahoo:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
...what would be the Optimal RV/Trailer/combination for travel, camping and bringing along the bikes AND the dawg?

A. Ok, I have a pick up, a Tundra but, it's only rated for 8,000#'s towing.
I have a good motorcycle trailer it handles with ease. That's the simplest, cheapest solution; Tundra/trailer and stay at people's homes and hotels. Covers the motorcycle end BUT it leaves out the dog, so, no good. (I ain't not, no way, not no how tenting it) and lots of people I could mooch off of don't like dogs in their home not to mention hotels and motels. Not a solution.

B. The best I can find in a 5th wheel toy hauler is really pushing it weight wise for the Tundra. That would be great as it covers the bikes, RV'ing and adds the ability to set up camp and use the truck if weather is bad and a 5th wheel is going to be cheaper, for the most part, than a class C or A RV. And, get rid of motorcycle trailer. This would be best if not for the limited size of the truck.

C. A Class C or A toy hauler. Few and far between and the toy part really eats up RV space given I want to be able to fit two full sized bikes as well as gear, tools, etc. It would be great from the standpoint of one unit, towing nothing. It covers the bikes and dog and RV'ing, Not great but, a good solution.

D. A class C or A to pull motorcycle trailer. This adds a vehicle that sits most of the time. It would be best in terms of comfort as well as separating the oily dirty part from the living part. Also leaves the motorcycle trailer to be pulled by the pick up for short trips. Most expensive and problematic solution. This would work but, a lot of money.

So, in writing this down, it seems to me, I'd most like the pick up/5th wheel combo. A toy hauler travel trailer would work too but, by all accounts, 5th wheel is the preferred way to go.

Is it agreed that 5th wheel is more better than travel trailer?

And

How far can I can go with the Tundra? The dealer (and trailer salespeople) claim when you set them up for 5th wheel towing, you can safely go beyond the ratings. Of course they do.

Thoughts?

It's not out of the question to get a stouter truck but, that's problematic in the near term = $.

The first question would be.. Are you going to use it enough to be worthwhile to buy, or are you going to be making payments while it sits in the yard?

I think the best choice would be to rent, but that's just me (and if you rent, if it breaks it's not your problem, nor is maintenance..)

:itsbob:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
...How far can I can go with the Tundra? The dealer (and trailer salespeople) claim when you set them up for 5th wheel towing, you can safely go beyond the ratings. Of course they do.

Thoughts?

AND this is a true statement..

I have to do this with HMMWVs, and they are VERY limited as to how much they can tow mostly due to the Tow Pintle and how it mates to the back of the HMMWV..

As you can probably guess, a HMMWV has MORE than enough Horsepower to tow a lot of weight, but the hardware just won't do it.

Going to a 5th wheel more than triples the tow capacity.

(oops :itsbob:)

struggler44

A Salute to all on Watch
AND this is a true statement..

I have to do this with HMMWVs, and they are VERY limited as to how much they can tow mostly due to the Tow Pintle and how it mates to the back of the HMMWV..

As you can probably guess, a HMMWV has MORE than enough Horsepower to tow a lot of weight, but the hardware just won't do it.

Going to a 5th wheel more than triples the tow capacity.

(oops :itsbob:)

Towing power shouldn't be the issue, I think it's more in the line of stopping and controlling the RV where the tow vehicle is concerned, along with wearing out the tow vehicle.

Hank

my war

How is this a vacation?

why are you so angry?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
why are you so angry?

the hours I've spent crawling down the road stuck behind RVs. The Blue Ridge Parkway is the worst. Beautiful smooth road with sweeping curve that are motorcycle heaven at about 55-60 mph and the RVs want to do 25. :burning:

bcp

In My Opinion

How is this a vacation?

First a trailer will cost anywhere from 17k and up, depends on size and such.
(he wont be pulling much more than a low 20k trailer with a tundra)
next a MOTOR HOME will cost 100k to 500k, again depending on the layout and amenities.
Next, you can have that hotel, I cant get past the thought of putting my head on a pillow that is saturated with somebody elses splooge from the night before. They can change to pillow case, but that pillow underneath still has the nasties. Goes for the mattress and carpets too.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Larry, there are a number of light weight (under 8k full loaded) toy hauler tag alongs that would suit you just fine.
The tundra would have no problem pulling these. The would have a bedroom for you, a "living room" kitchen, full bath and full hookups including central A/C and heat.

We ####ed up. Looked at some used LOADED 38-40 footers last night with toy room that IS a room with 1/2 bath!!!

I got me some serious flower selling to do.