Baby Owl on ground

luvscats

There is a baby owl on the edge of our woods on the ground. He has fluffy little white fuzz like feathers along with adult feathers. He cannot fly yet. He's walking around thru the woods.

Last week we found a dead adult owl. Today there was an owl sitting on our deck railing checking out the fish in our pond.

So I'm just going to leave the baby alone, altho he makes these plaintive cries. I don't see any parent(s) in the woods but like I said there was an owl on our deck today.

Leave him/her alone, right??

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Can you at least set out some food? What do baby owls eat besides regurgitated mice? (I'm assuming you don't want to chew up a mouse and spit it into the owlet's beak...)

luvscats

Can you at least set out some food? What do baby owls eat besides regurgitated mice? (I'm assuming you don't want to chew up a mouse and spit it into the owlet's beak...)

I honestly thought about that. Ick. Or trying to take it to a rehabber. I'm waiting for someone with some knowledge about baby owls to chime in here.

I know I've read a thousand times to leave wild babies alone, but when it cries, it pulls on my heart.

It has turned now and headed back into the woods. We've been watching it from upstairs with the binocs. It is to die for cute.

Katelin

one day the dark will end
There is a baby owl on the edge of our woods on the ground. He has fluffy little white fuzz like feathers along with adult feathers. He cannot fly yet. He's walking around thru the woods.

Last week we found a dead adult owl. Today there was an owl sitting on our deck railing checking out the fish in our pond.

So I'm just going to leave the baby alone, altho he makes these plaintive cries. I don't see any parent(s) in the woods but like I said there was an owl on our deck today.

Leave him/her alone, right??

NO...Please intervene!

He/she can be renested.Surviving parent will feed.OR contact either Ron Wexler, Mary Martin or Lisa Fisher..all possess a USFW license to capture, rescue, rehab birds of prey.

Little guy can fall prey to cats, dogs, or raccoons or foxes.
Please help!!

OR contact Tri-State Bird Rescue in Delaware.

Katelin

I honestly thought about that. Ick. Or trying to take it to a rehabber. I'm waiting for someone with some knowledge about baby owls to chime in here.

I know I've read a thousand times to leave wild babies alone, but when it cries, it pulls on my heart.

It has turned now and headed back into the woods. We've been watching it from upstairs with the binocs. It is to die for cute.

You can take a towel, or better yet a sheet, toss it over the owl, with heavy gloves on, gently pick it up and put it in a big box or laundry basket..and keep box covered....contact any of the above.
It will sleep if covered and will be safe.
No need to offer food right now..and dont try to give it water.
We feed then mice or rats, usually from a supplier.

If you can capture it, call me or any of the above.

luvscats

What dose a baby owl eat? - Yahoo! Answers

Scroll down to the last post by Margecut - she sounds like she knows what she's talking about.

I read Margecut's info: "Baby birds fledge (leave the nest) several days before they start to fly. They hop around on the ground, and they climb on low branches until their wings are strong enough for them to fly. The parent birds continue to feed and care for the fledglings until they are self-sufficient. If you see a baby bird on the ground, and the bird has most of his feathers, leave him alone. Do not think that he needs to be "rescued."

This baby owl did not appear to be injured in any way. He/she was flapping his wings as he climbed over a small log and ambling along quite easily. He looked robust, healthy. I feel better now having read Margecut's info. Thx.

luvscats

You can take a towel, or better yet a sheet, toss it over the owl, with heavy gloves on, gently pick it up and put it in a big box or laundry basket..and keep box covered....contact any of the above.
It will sleep if covered and will be safe.
No need to offer food right now..and dont try to give it water.
We feed then mice or rats, usually from a supplier.

If you can capture it, call me or any of the above.

Well, I did think about trying to capture it, but it doesn't appear injured. I let it go on back into the woods. I hope that is ok.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Let me know if you need to capture him...I will call Mary Martin and we can come get him...good luck hope he will be ok..Owls are so cool

luvscats

how would y'all find him? it's getting dark now. you want to come over tomorrow and try to find him???

I live in Huntingtown, just off Stinnett Rd.

Katelin

how would y'all find him? it's getting dark now. you want to come over tomorrow and try to find him???

I live in Huntingtown, just off Stinnett Rd.

Little early for a fledgling. Parents team feed babies when they do fledge and end up on the ground. Some baby owls can flap/climb a tree to get out of danger.

If you found a dead parent, who is feeding the baby?

Any idea what kind of owl based on the dead adult.

luvscats

Little early for a fledgling. Parents team feed babies when they do fledge and end up on the ground. Some baby owls can flap/climb a tree to get out of danger. If you found a dead parent, who is feeding the baby? Any idea what kind of owl based on the dead adult.

There was an adult owl on our deck today. I thought it was checking out the fish in our pond. Maybe it's the parent to the owl baby I saw later in the day.

I have no idea what kind of owl the dead one was. It was fully feathered, smallish in body.

If I see the baby tomorrow, I'll try to capture it, but I'm also going to be on the lookout for a parent too.

luvscats

I just came from outside to see if I could see the baby owl with a flashlight. No sign of it. I do hear barred owls alot around here so am wondering if it is a barred owl.

While outside I repeatedly heard a long single note call that I hope is a parent calling to the baby. I tried to locate the call on various websites but I'm not able to play with wav or mp3 files that the calls are recorded in.

I will look again tomorrow.