Salmonella Scare Spreads as More Pet Food Recalled

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Salmonella Scare Spreads as More Pet Food Recalled

TAMPA, Fla. – BluePearl Veterinary Partners recommends families continue to keep a close eye on their dogs after a major pet food manufacturer announced a recall of several more brands due to potential salmonella contamination.

According to a press release issued by Diamond Pet Foods, the company is recalling two additional brands after a recall was initiated earlier in April.

The brands affected are Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice Formula – Dry Dog Food; Diamond Puppy Formula – Dry Dog Food; and Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula – Dry Dog Food.

Altogether, the products were distributed to customers located in Florida, Alabama, Georgia, Kentucky, Maryland, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Massachusetts, and Virginia. They may have also been further distributed to other states.

People who have the potentially contaminated product should discard it immediately and stop handling it as it poses a risk to humans as well.

In addition to direct transmission to dogs, salmonella is a zoonotic disease, which means it can be passed from animals to humans.

Common symptoms of salmonella in dogs include nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, bloody diarrhea, lethargy, fever and abdominal discomfort.

“If you notice your pet is not acting right, you should take him or her to your primary care veterinarian as soon as possible,” said Neil Shaw, DVM, Diplomate ACVIM, chief medical officer of BluePearl. “If it is an after-hours emergency, we would be glad to help at one of our locations,” said Dr. Shaw.

The affected products are:

Diamond Naturals Lamb Meal & Rice Formula – dry dog food:

6lb - DLR0101D3XALW, "Best Before" Date 04 Jan 2013
20lb - DLR0101C31XAG, "Best Before" Date 03 Jan 2013
40lb - DLR0101C31XMF, "Best Before" Date 03 Jan 2013
40lb - DLR0101C31XAG, "Best Before" Date 03 Jan 2013
40lb - DLR0101D32XMS, "Best Before" Date 04 Jan 2013

Distributed in:
Alabama
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
Maryland
Michigan
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Virginia

Diamond Puppy Formula – dry dog food:

6oz Samples – DPP0401
8 lb – DPP0401B2XALW, "Best Before" Date 07 Apr 2013
20 lb – DPP0101C31XRB, "Best Before" Date 11 Jan 2013
20 lb – DPP0101C31XME, "Best Before" Date 11 Jan 2013
20 lb – DPP0401B22XJW, "Best Before" Date 06 Apr 2013
40 lb – DPP0101C31XME, "Best Before" Date 11 Jan 2013
40 lb – DPP0401B22XJW, "Best Before" Date 06 Apr 2013
40 lb – DPP0401A21XAW, "Best Before" Date 06 Apr 2013
40 lb – DPP0401B21XDJ, "Best Before" Date 07 Apr 2013

Distributed in:
Alabama
Florida
North Carolina
Ohio
Georgia
Kentucky
Pennsylvania
South Carolina
Maryland
Michigan
Tennessee
Virginia

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula – dry dog food:
35 lb - CLF0102B31XCW, Best by Date 27/JAN/2013
35 lb - CLF0102B31XCW, Best by Date 28/JAN/2013
35 lb - CLF0102B32XWR, Best by Date 28/JAN/2013
6 lb - CLF0102B3XALW, Best by Date 28/JAN/2013

Chicken Soup for the Pet Lover’s Soul Adult Light Formula dry dog food is manufactured by Diamond Pet Foods and was distributed in Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia, who may have further distributed the product to other states, through pet food channels.

About BluePearl Veterinary Partners

Formed in 2008, BluePearl Veterinary Partners employs more than 1,000 people including approximately 250 veterinarians. BluePearl hospitals are referral-only and don’t provide primary care. Most of its 26 hospitals offer 24-hour emergency care services. BluePearl is one of the world’s principal providers of approved veterinary residency and internship educational programs. BluePearl also participates in and conducts clinical trials to study the effectiveness of new drugs and treatments, which give clients access to cutting-edge medicine not yet commercially available and improves the quality of care delivered to our patients.

frequentflier

happy to be living

Friday night, I sent out a newsletter to over 2000 customers and the last thing I did before hitting SEND, was go on the Diamond site to make sure I had most up to date version of the recall. About 2 hours later, I received emails from my distributors about the voluntary recall of more foods including all skus of Taste of the Wild and Chicken soup. I did include a link to the Diamond site so that people can check for themselves but tomorrow I will send another email out regarding the most recent changes.
SIGH

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
This is the email I received on May 6th @ 2:27 pm

Dog Food Advisor help@dogfoodadvisor.com via aweber.com
2:27 PM (21 hours ago)

to me

Images are not displayed. Display images below - Always display images from help@dogfoodadvisor.comDear Dog Owner,

At your request, I'm sending you this special alert.

On May 5, 2012, Diamond Pet Foods announced it had found and corrected an error in the bag code information it originally reported in its Friday night recall announcement. The recall now includes 12 national brands.

To help you keep up with this ever-changing recall, I've prepared a special summary with links to all the recall information currently available.

Please bookmark this page so you'll have a central place to return to as the story continues to unfold.

To learn whether this change affects you or your pet, please visit the following link:
Diamond Dog Food Recall Summary

Diamond Dog Food Recall Summary

Please be sure to share the news of this alert with other pet owners.

Mike Sagman, Editor
The Dog Food Advisor

P.S. Not already on our dog food recall notification list? Sign up to get critical dog food recall alerts sent to you by email.

Dog Food Advisor, 236 West Tazewell Way, Williamsburg, VA 23185, USA

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
So here's my question

Wellness Super 5 Mix for Large Breed Puppies has been recalled.

I feed mine the Wellness Super 5 Mix for Small Breeds. Should I stop just to be safe?

mAlice

professional daydreamer
So here's my question

I feed mine the Wellness Super 5 Mix for Small Breeds. Should I stop just to be safe?

I'd stop using anything made by the company, but that's just me.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
So here's my question

well ... I would say you are safe... but what do i know....

I never thought TOW would be on a list....

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
That's about the only thing the diva will eat. :bawl: I guess I'll be boiling chicken and rice tonight. :ohwell: