pet meds

My 2 dogs have their yearly checkup coming soon. I usually just pay yhe crazy prices they charge for Frontline and Heartguard.

I asked the vet about a prescription so I could order them online. (I have 2 big yellow Labs and it usually costs me over $350 for a years worth) the vet did his best to scare me from using the 800 pet meds to get them. He said that it might not be the same stuff, could be counterfiet, might not work and there is no guarantee. Is this a bunch of BS?

My old vet on the eastern shore even told me that he wouldn't write the prescription.

Have any of you used the companies that advertise on tv? Thanks.

frequentflier

happy to be living
My 2 dogs have their yearly checkup coming soon. I usually just pay yhe crazy prices they charge for Frontline and Heartguard.

I asked the vet about a prescription so I could order them online. (I have 2 big yellow Labs and it usually costs me over $350 for a years worth) the vet did his best to scare me from using the 800 pet meds to get them. He said that it might not be the same stuff, could be counterfiet, might not work and there is no guarantee. Is this a bunch of BS?

My old vet on the eastern shore even told me that he wouldn't write the prescription.

What vet do you go to?

I think it is Tidewater. I have been there 4 times and had a different vet each time. Can't remember the vet's name. Last time I asked was 2 years ago.

ginwoman

Foster and Smith, or Entirelypets.com
Foster and Smith can do prescriptions, they will contact your vet for the prescription. And they are SO MUCH CHEAPER. Well Pet would probably be cheaper too. I think the vets must make a lot on the medicines that's why they discourage you to go elsewhere.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think the vets must make a lot on the medicines that's why they discourage you to go elsewhere.

^This^ And if my vet doesn't stop trying to hustle me for unneeded services/products, I'm going to change vets.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?

You dont need a script :bubble:

Lilypad

I have 3 dogs, I need a script for a oral heartworm preventative; such as Tri-heart Plus, etc. Your vet will ask you to bring your pet in for a bloodtest.
Yes it is a ripoff obtaining meds at the vets office; not all-but most.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
ok....so as crazy as it is...you may want to check out walmart...and even Target.... they have started to carry Hw meds thru the pharm. .... but yes you do need an RX for HW meds!

I go to Tidewater and always get an RX... and used a few different online companys. There are some out there that are shady... never had an issue with pet med...... they will match prices to other on line companys... BUT THEY have to be on a list they have... they have informed me a place I was looking was not good :buddies:

ginwoman

ok....so as crazy as it is...you may want to check out walmart...and even Target.... they have started to carry Hw meds thru the pharm. .... but yes you do need an RX for HW meds!

I go to Tidewater and always get an RX... and used a few different online companys. There are some out there that are shady... never had an issue with pet med...... they will match prices to other on line companys... BUT THEY have to be on a list they have... they have informed me a place I was looking was not good :buddies:

Didn't know Walmart did this. I still recommend Foster and Smith...they will contact your vet for you for the prescription and mail it right to your house. :howdy:

drivingdaisy

I always think it is a little funny that I am getting my dog's seizure medicine from a human pharmacy. It's even in the same orange container (which would explain why my husband has taken the dog's meds instead of his allergy meds a couple of times).

idiganthro

At Well Pet Advantix II (just for example) is $18 a pipette. Online at Drs. Foster and Smith I got it for $11 a pipette in a 4 pack for 43.99 with shipping included. Arrived in about 5 days. Did not need to provide vet info. Haven't used them for heartworm yet as I bought a 6 month supply from Well Pet.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I always think it is a little funny that I am getting my dog's seizure medicine from a human pharmacy. It's even in the same orange container (which would explain why my husband has taken the dog's meds instead of his allergy meds a couple of times).

:shrug:... most of all meds that pets get are the same meds we take for the same illnesses.

I get my dogs meds from Target... they are really pet friendly... and walmart wanted to charge me 124.00 for one of my dogs meds.(generic prozac)..... target charges me 10.00 under their 30/90 - 4.00/10.00 plan

I also get their pain meds and muscle relaxers there as well.. WAY cheaper!!

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
oohhh... and if you go by peppers pet panty... they may still have the Pet Rx cards..... get one... take it to TARGET.... and it gives you a better price off of your pets meds!!! :coffee: may even work on the hw meds they offer (looks to be the generic to heartguard)

Watch out FF ... flood of peeps heading your way :yahoo: