Anyone used Cimarron Plus on pastures?

DQ2B

If you have used this stuff, can you help me understand how to prepare it? The label is like reading greek. I want to specifically kill (or lessen) the clover. How much of this stuff do I use per water and it mentions some kind of oil concentrate or nonionic sufactant. What the heck is that and how much do I need.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
If you have used this stuff, can you help me understand how to prepare it? The label is like reading greek. I want to specifically kill (or lessen) the clover. How much of this stuff do I use per water and it mentions some kind of oil concentrate or nonionic sufactant. What the heck is that and how much do I need.

I'm not sure what the label says, I use Pasture Pro but I did find this online:

•Spray on actively growing weeds.
(See chart for specific rates.)
•Add 2 to 4 pints of 80 percent
non-ionic surfactant or 1 to
2 gallons of crop oil concentrate
per 100 gallons of water.
•Use the higher rates of
Cimarron® Plus for heavy infestations
and/or larger weed sizes.

A non-ionic surfactant is a "wetting agent" which reduces the surface tension of water, allowing it to soak into soil more easily. Typically they are used to help fertilize or provide water to plants in hydrophobic soil.

Diamond K Soil Wetting Agent is a good example. If you search for wetting agents you'll find a bunch more.

Crop oil concentrate is a liquid designed to apply a product (like your herbicide) to a crop (in your case, pasture). It may or may not have an oil base, it is concentrated which is why you add water. Often you find crop oil concentrates that include surfactants.

So, you'd have your Cimarron herbicide + the wetting agent to help it soak in plus the crop oil concentrate to hold it together with the water.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
I use it regularly. I mix. 02 oz with a 25 gallon tag behind. I use chemical wet (2 cups)with it for adhesion to broadleaf. Spray when winds and sun is low. The product claims to be grazable but I remove horses and spray right before a rain.
Feel free to come over D. For a visual. I have a field in the process of "broadleaf death" now.

DQ2B

I use it regularly. I mix. 02 oz with a 25 gallon tag behind. I use chemical wet (2 cups)with it for adhesion to broadleaf. Spray when winds and sun is low. The product claims to be grazable but I remove horses and spray right before a rain.
Feel free to come over D. For a visual. I have a field in the process of "broadleaf death" now.

Thank God. Someone who can put this stuff into English terminolgy for me. Are you around at all tomorrow? My pastures are loaded, and I mean loaded with white clover with leaves the size of quarters. Since my pastures are about 90% clover right now, if I use the Cimarron, will I end up with no pasture or will the grasses eventually take over?

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Thank God. Someone who can put this stuff into English terminolgy for me. Are you around at all tomorrow? My pastures are loaded, and I mean loaded with white clover with leaves the size of quarters. Since my pastures are about 90% clover right now, if I use the Cimarron, will I end up with no pasture or will the grasses eventually take over?
I made a typo I use. 2 oz. In my 25 gal. Sprayer....sorry. Paul at southern states is.. my guru. Yes it will kill All of ur clover. If there is no blade grasses within the clover u will be left bare...but as long as we stay hydrated the patches should fill in hopefully with something more desirable than clover. Lol. I am in and out tomarrow.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
The most important part is to know how many gallons does it take to cover an acre of ground. I have to fill my 25 gallon tow along tank up 3 times. So I am applying .6 oz per acre.

DQ2B

The most important part is to know how many gallons does it take to cover an acre of ground. I have to fill my 25 gallon tow along tank up 3 times. So I am applying .6 oz per acre.

Thanks. I'll try and track Paul down tomorrow. I want to mix enough to do only about 1 acre at a time and I know once you mix it you gotta use it but sounds like at .6 oz I need around 7 gallons of water or so.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I use a 3.5 gallon back pack sprayer..Paul said I can use dish det as a wetting agent for the size I am using..I forgot last time (few weeks ago) and broadleafs are on the way out now..I spray with horses/llamas in...no problems..I just spray my weeds and leave what clover I can. I dont have a TON..good luck stuff works great

DQ2B

I use a 3.5 gallon back pack sprayer..Paul said I can use dish det as a wetting agent for the size I am using..I forgot last time (few weeks ago) and broadleafs are on the way out now..I spray with horses/llamas in...no problems..I just spray my weeds and leave what clover I can. I dont have a TON..good luck stuff works great

Thanks Paso. Any idea what amounts you are using in a 3.5 gallon sprayer? I might do just a small area first to see what I'm left with and 2-4 gallons to start would be perfect for a small patch I want to try it on.

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
Thanks Paso. Any idea what amounts you are using in a 3.5 gallon sprayer? I might do just a small area first to see what I'm left with and 2-4 gallons to start would be perfect for a small patch I want to try it on.

yes that first line up on the plastic thing like an inch or less...will look at the number tomorrow..I spray it all the time...with horses in the field etc

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
+1 I have a lot more clover this year than I have in the past but when I sprayed I spot-sprayed the weeds and left the clover alone. Again, I'm using a different brand but they were able to go out on it right away and the weeds started turning brown in about 2 days.

If you're worried about bare patches you can seed first, then spray then fill in any holes with more seed.

DQ2B

+1 I have a lot more clover this year than I have in the past but when I sprayed I spot-sprayed the weeds and left the clover alone. Again, I'm using a different brand but they were able to go out on it right away and the weeds started turning brown in about 2 days.

If you're worried about bare patches you can seed first, then spray then fill in any holes with more seed.

I haven't had much luck tossing the seed on unturned soil, any suggestions that don't require completely till up the pasture?

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I don't have a tractor so, I get my workout for the day with the hard rake, it's fairly easy after rain. Like a stinking rock if not.

Aerating and then seeding works too and I think you can rent them from Home Depot etc.

ladyhawk

We sprayed one of our fields last weekend using cimarron. Really haven't been able to tell if it's working. Because the white clover is now topping out, the coloring from the "pretty" yellow buttercup appears muted. Don't see dead buttercups yet. May be spraying again.

I had heard that they are difficult to get rid of :(

June

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
We sprayed one of our fields last weekend using cimarron. Really haven't been able to tell if it's working. Because the white clover is now topping out, the coloring from the "pretty" yellow buttercup appears muted. Don't see dead buttercups yet. May be spraying again.

I had heard that they are difficult to get rid of :(

June

Took almost 3 weeks but all my buttercup is wilted and dead..

DQ2B

Took almost 3 weeks but all my buttercup is wilted and dead..

Oh, I'm glad you said something. I sprayed a test area last friday but don't see much happening. I was gonna up the mix ratio for the pastures this weekend but maybe I don't need to be more aggressive.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
Oh, I'm glad you said something. I sprayed a test area last friday but don't see much happening. I was gonna up the mix ratio for the pastures this weekend but maybe I don't need to be more aggressive.
be patient not aggresive. continue with what you are doing you will see a change.