American gunmakers

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
This is how naive I am:

My husband is in there cleaning his guns and he calls the manufacturer of one of them to see about a part.  The manufacturer informs him that they no longer build that particular gun because (get this) they just got a large contract with an Asian country (that they wouldn't name).  My antenna immediately went up.  I asked my husband, "Do you mean to tell me that an American company can supply guns to a foreign nation and it's <i>legal</i>?"  He said, with no concern, "Of course."  After I stopped sputtering I said, "So what happens if this gunmaker sells arms to an Asian country that just happens to use them to injure or kill American troops?"  He replied, "They'll get the guns from somewhere - what's the difference?" Or words to that effect.

So I'm completely outraged.  Larry doesn't seem to think this is a big deal and that American companies should be able to sell their wares to any country that will pay for them.  I say that if I were President, I'd put a ban on that sh*t immediately.  Now I fully understand that our own government supplies arms to foreign nations.  And I understand that many American servicemen/women have been killed with American-made weapons.  I can't explain my outrage any better than that - it's this innate feeling that for the government to regulate arms sales to foreign nations is one thing but for an American company to supply them is something else.

Am I being crazy and overreacting?  Someone explain this to me so I can understand.  But I'll warn you in advance - Larry's already tried the "So what?" approach and it's not helping.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Vraiblonde,

"Am I being crazy and overreacting?" I thought you were crazy years ago, lol.  I see this as just another American company doing nothing more then making money.  I take it these are sporting weapons and not fully automatic military hardware.  I see it as nothing different then Budweiser or GM selling their products on a global scale.  Just a little free trade going on and I wouldn't read much more into it.  After all we buy some of our firearms from foriegn sources.

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
vraiblonde on 1:14 pm on Mar. 1, 2002[br]
"Do you mean to tell me that an American company can supply guns to a foreign nation and it's <i>legal</i>?"  He said, with no concern, "Of course."
I'm with Larry...it's no big deal.  On the flip side, my pistol was made in Austria and then shipped here to be assembled and tested.  I even got a new sight for free after complaining about how the recoil would cause me to have to re-adjust the sight after shooting a few mags.

Think of it this way---there are MickeyD's all over the globe and now we have Outback Steak House! :lmao:

jellybean

So we sell guns overseas..we also have instructions for making bombs  and cultivating anthrax on the internet..go figure.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Vrai, well since the US government has made it exceedingly difficult to buy a firearm in the U.S. you gotta go where the business takes you.  I don't have any problems with U.S. gun makers selling to countries who still allow it legally (which is becoming fewer and fewer).  The inability to acquire U.S. manufactured firearms in our own country shoud be taken up with the U.S. Government, actually, more to the fact, the State Government.  As you well know, I'm all for a well armed populace! :)

B

Bruzilla

I have to agree with those who see no problem with this, and hubby is right... do you think that our banning the sales of guns outside the US is going to stop the bad guys from getting guns?  Hasn't that foolish argument been postulated to death by the anti-gunners in this country?  If anyone, anywhere, really wants a gun they can get one.  It'll just be an AKM instaed of an AR-15.