The Lawn Mower Man.

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
Don't bother quoting him

I have Jimmy on ignore. Somebody tell me, is he doing a critique of the old movie? I imagine it's one of those D.T. hallucinations.

VoteJP

J.P. Cusick
Sad.

The prompting for this topic is based on the letter to the Editor in the May 18 Enterprise as it brought tears to my eyes.

Link = SoMdNews.com: Death of ‘The Lawn Mower Man’

The victim's name was Buhrman Kenneth "Yogi" Baird, 87, also know as the Lawnmower Man, who was run down by a State Police Trooper Wesley Goldston who is back on duty with the "Automotive Safety Division".

Link = Trooper in Fatal Yogi Crash Back on Duty - Southern Maryland Headline News

The State Police Trooper did not even get a ticket for failure to yield the right of way to a pedestrian. It is just a one (1) point ticked and 3 points if it contributes to an accident.

Link = Supporting Documents: Investigation Into Death of Buhrman Kenneth Baird (Yogi)

:pete:

officeguy

The State Police Trooper did not even get a ticket for failure to yield the right of way to a pedestrian. It is just a one (1) point ticked and 3 points if it contributes to an accident.

You have to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk. If a sidewalk or shoulder is provided, pedestrians are not allowed in the roadway. Look up MD code 21-506. Why should the trooper get a ticket for hitting someone he probably couldn't see based on the lighting conditions and who was in a place he was not supposed to be ?

It is a sad accident, but the way it happened probably unavoidable. It had been a miracle going on 10 years that Yogi hadn't been hit before.

PsyOps

Pixelated
The victim's name was Buhrman Kenneth "Yogi" Baird, 87, also know as the Lawnmower Man, who was run down by a State Police Trooper Wesley Goldston who is back on duty with the "Automotive Safety Division".

Link = Trooper in Fatal Yogi Crash Back on Duty - Southern Maryland Headline News

Link = Supporting Documents: Investigation Into Death of Buhrman Kenneth Baird (Yogi)

:pete:

If you had read the 'Supporting Documents' you would have read this witness:

Gentleman was first observed walking down the center of the travel lane on Beck Rd. I swerved and sounded horn. He was pushing a lawnmower. I parked to go into Skyrocket ??? Lodge. I again observed the gentleman walking in the center of the travel lane on ???-Dean Rd. A white SUV attempted to miss him at the same time as the pedestrian was moving to the shoulder. There was another vehicle in the opposite travel lane that precluded the first vehicle from striking the pedestrian. It was dark with very limited street lighting. Pedestrian was wearing very dark clothing

The next witness passed right by 'Lawnmower Man' and never saw him.

So it's pretty obvious by witness accounts that visibility was very poor, the guy was wearing dark clothing, walking in the “travel lane” and almost got hit by someone else.

So, what is your problem with this again; except that it's sad that 'Lawnmower Man' was ACCIDENTALLY killed? :shrug:

CrashTest

Based on witnesses, it sounds like other folks "missed" him even when he was in the middle of the travel lane. I guess those folks are better drivers than the cop (expert driver) who hit him. Maybe those folks who missed him should be working for "Automotive Safety Division".

PsyOps

Pixelated
Based on witnesses, it sounds like other folks "missed" him even when he was in the middle of the travel lane. I guess those folks are better drivers than the cop (expert driver) who hit him. Maybe those folks who missed him should be working for "Automotive Safety Division".

According to a witness (Elizabeth Quade) Goldston appeared to be driving at the normal posted speed limit. Quade also stated that she was not surprised that Baird was hit. She stated "She and her co-workers often thought and discussed that he would get struck eventually, since he so frequently walked in the center of travel lanes. She recalled that there were several occasions where her coworkers had almost struck Baird, and would then yell through their windows to him to not walking in the roadway."

The other witness (Eddleman) stated: "Eddleman recalled having a second or less to react to the pedestrian because of the dark environment and dark clothing's lack of conspicuity. Eddleman was able to drive around the pedestrian and sound his horn at him. He felt that he had narrowly missed striking him, and that the maneuver may have only been possible because he was operating a small sports car designed for greater than normal handling."

Last edited:

VoteJP

J.P. Cusick
Excellent.

You have to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk. If a sidewalk or shoulder is provided, pedestrians are not allowed in the roadway. Look up MD code 21-506. Why should the trooper get a ticket for hitting someone he probably couldn't see based on the lighting conditions and who was in a place he was not supposed to be ?

It is a sad accident, but the way it happened probably unavoidable. It had been a miracle going on 10 years that Yogi hadn't been hit before.

Even if Yogi was in violation of MD Code Transportation 21-506 and some people do not believe that to be an accurate report, then even with a pedestrian standing in the middle of the road then that does not give the Police Officer the justice to run over the pedestrian and to strike him down.

I myself believe that cop needs to be prosecuted for at least man slaughter.

If a deer is standing in the road then we drivers are to stop or try to avoid hitting a deer, and most deer are killed because the deer jump out into the road so quickly that the driver does not have the time to react and to hit their brakes, but Mr Baird did not have the ability to jump or to move quick if he was alone but him having his lawn mower meant he was a very slow moving person and the cop had plenty of time to see the pedestrian and to avoid the killing.

:shrug:

CrashTest

Since this happened, lots of folks have driven down that section of road at night to see what it's like (including me). You'd have to be the worst driver in the world if you can't avoid an object there, even if it's in the middle of the road. Just look at how long that guy had been out there walking in the middle of the road without getting hit by "regular drivers". So, it means one of 2 things. That cop is actually a crappy driver and has no business representing Automotive Safety, or he was speeding and/or distracted. Take your pick.

Chris0nllyn

According to a witness (Elizabeth Quade) Goldston appeared to be driving at the normal posted speed limit. Quade also stated that she was not surprised that Baird was hit. She stated "She and her co-workers often thought and discussed that he would get struck eventually, since he so frequently walked in the center of travel lanes. She recalled that there were several occasions where her coworkers had almost struck Baird, and would then yell through their windows to him to not walking in the roadway."

The other witness (Eddleman) stated: "Eddleman recalled having a second or less to react to the pedestrian because of the dark environment and dark clothing's lack of conspicuity. Eddleman was able to drive around the pedestrian and sound his horn at him. He felt that he had narrowly missed striking him, and that the maneuver may have only been possible because he was operating a small sports car designed for greater than normal handling."

What about the SUV? How'd they miss? SUV's aren't exactly known for their road handling capabilities.

The report also states that the officer was going 52mph in a 40mph zone. It also states that he was driving on the white line when he was hit.

Charles Eddleman of St. Leonard and Elizabeth Quade of Mechanicsville, both wrote statements saying that while conditions were dark, there was still sufficient street lighting, and a full moon that night

Both witnesses stated they were able to see Baird, or at least what they believed to be an object in the road, before the impact – one witness from 25 feet away and another from 150 feet.

The report also stated that witnesses saw Baird try to move away from the oncoming vehicle.

I read the article about the police officer not seeing him and him just coming out right in front of him, so the rumors state. I kept thinking something wasn’t right about all that. I thought, how could you not see him if you were going the speed limit and not distracted? He never walked in the middle of the road, always staying to the shoulder, and that part of the road is very well-lit. So I went back there two nights later, just about the time the accident occurred, and I rode the posted 40 mph.

This is only my opinion, but I don’t see how it was possible to hit anything in the road if you were going the speed limit and not distracted by a cellphone or some other device. I drove the road from where it intersects across from Outback three times up to the intersection where Yogi was hit. I believe then and still believe that if you were going the speed limit and paying attention, you would not hit anything in the middle of that road.

I think it was an unfortunate accident. Could it have been avoided? Sure, just like many accidents.

Last edited:

VoteJP

J.P. Cusick
Excellent.

So it's pretty obvious by witness accounts that visibility was very poor, the guy was wearing dark clothing, walking in the “travel lane” and almost got hit by someone else.

That witness is not very credible, because the police report declares that there was a full moon, page 9 of 25 per "Investigation", and there is a very bright street light on the location, and there is near a full half mile of flat level road which the cop was driving down, and the police vehicle did have fully functioning headlights too.

So the visibility was NOT "poor" as is claimed, and since the lighting and visibility was clear then the color of Mr Baird's clothing becomes irrelevant, because it was the cops job of driving to look ahead and to avoid any accident.

:nono:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
That witness is not very credible, because the police report declares that there was a full moon, page 9 of 25 per "Investigation", and there is a very bright street light on the location, and there is near a full half mile of flat level road which the cop was driving down, and the police vehicle did have fully functioning headlights too.

So the visibility was NOT "poor" as is claimed, and since the lighting and visibility was clear then the color of Mr Baird's clothing becomes irrelevant, because it was the cops job of driving to look ahead and to avoid any accident.

You should spruce up his memorial. It's looking a bit scraggly.

dontknowwhy

That witness is not very credible,
So the visibility was NOT "poor" as is claimed, and since the lighting and visibility was clear then the color of Mr Baird's clothing becomes irrelevant,

I thought color was always relevent with you Jimmy...

Have you paid me back yet for defacing my government buildings & forcing me to support a child that hates you these days?

PsyOps

Pixelated
What about the SUV? How'd they miss? SUV's aren't exactly known for their road handling capabilities.

The report also states that the officer was going 52mph in a 40mph zone. It also states that he was driving on the white line when he was hit.

I think it was an unfortunate accident. Could it have been avoided? Sure, just like many accidents.

The SUV was the vehicle that struck Baird. :shrug:

The 52 mph is a calculation. The report also states: "I was not able to account or adjust for variables unique to this collision, such as Baird becoming entangled in the lawnmower".

Goldston said he was doing between 40-45, Quade reported that he appeared to be going at around 45, and Eddleman reported he appeared to be doing between 40-45. It was so dark that Quade thought the lawnmower was a shopping cart. Oney-Schmih reported that she believed the accident could not have been avoided. And the final report did not determine fault at Goldston. :shrug:

It could have been avoided if Baird hadn't been in the road in the first place at night. Outside of that could it have been avoided? It sounds like it was going to happen eventually anyway.

Last edited:

PsyOps

Pixelated

Every witness stated the lighting was poor, Baird was wearing dark clothing, and the driver of the sports car also nearly hit him.

Is anyone even asking the question why this guy was walking in the middle of the street in the first place and expect not to get hit when it's dark out? One of the witnesses even stated they prayed they he doesn't get hit one day. Well it happened and you folks want to blame the cop?

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member
Even if Yogi was in violation of MD Code Transportation 21-506 and some people do not believe that to be an accurate report, then even with a pedestrian standing in the middle of the road then that does not give the Police Officer the justice to run over the pedestrian and to strike him down.

I myself believe that cop needs to be prosecuted for at least man slaughter.

If a deer is standing in the road then we drivers are to stop or try to avoid hitting a deer, and most deer are killed because the deer jump out into the road so quickly that the driver does not have the time to react and to hit their brakes, but Mr Baird did not have the ability to jump or to move quick if he was alone but him having his lawn mower meant he was a very slow moving person and the cop had plenty of time to see the pedestrian and to avoid the killing.

:shrug:
You ever meet a guy who goes by the handle Clem?