Bunnies and squirrels

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Is it possible for them to mate and produce offspring?

I ask because there is a rodent type animal that hangs out in my 'hood. It is either a short-eared, tree-climbing bunny; or a short-tailed, plump, hopping squirrel. I see him every day but can't get close enough to really scope him out because I always have Apollo with me.

At first I thought he was a young bunny with undeveloped ears - then I saw him scamper up a tree and start leaping around the branches.

It's weird.

Larry Gude

Strung Out

I ask because there is a rodent type animal that hangs out in my 'hood. It is either a short-eared, tree-climbing bunny; or a short-tailed, plump, hopping squirrel. I see him every day but can't get close enough to really scope him out because I always have Apollo with me.

At first I thought he was a young bunny with undeveloped ears - then I saw him scamper up a tree and start leaping around the branches.

It's weird.

It is the relatively rare Eastern Gray Sqrabbit. Thought to be extinct in most of the Eastern US, paleontologists have had the pleasure of finding a few examples and, thus, the ability to study them more deeply than via mere skeletal and fossil remains.

At present, the general consensus seems to be that it evolved over some millions of years as natures somewhat hermaphroditic response to the eternal question...

..."what's up doc?"

It is the relatively rare Eastern Gray Sqrabbit. Thought to be extinct in most of the Eastern US, paleontologists have had the pleasure of finding a few examples and, thus, the ability to study them more deeply than via mere skeletal and fossil remains.

At present, the general consensus seems to be that it evolved over some millions of years as natures somewhat hermaphroditic response to the eternal question...

..."what's up doc?"

:killingme

"Be vewwy quiet, I'm hunting sqwabbits."

It's weird.

No can do. Squirrels do a lot of hopping though and like malice said, could be one that lost part of his tail. Yoda came within a couple inches of catching one of this years batch of squirrels yesterday.

DEEKAYPEE8569

It's weird.

"Squunnies?" :lol:

Merlin99

Visualize whirled peas
PREMO Member

It's weird.
Maybe somebody misplaced a pika

Attachments

• Ochotona_princeps.jpg
    Ochotona_princeps.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 81

luvmygdaughters

It's weird.
Found this on yahoo. :whistle:

Can A Rabbit And A Squirrel Mate?

I did not believe that they could mate either. However I live in Pa. While gardening I stumbled across something I thought was a mix of both. I seen it for several weeks and then layed a trap. When I caught it I took it to the vet and they ran a DNA test. After a few hundred dollars and ALOT of time on the phone with the lab they confirmed....it was! I was shocked. We named him squnny and he lives in my back yard.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Found this on yahoo. :whistle:

Can A Rabbit And A Squirrel Mate?

I did not believe that they could mate either. However I live in Pa. While gardening I stumbled across something I thought was a mix of both. I seen it for several weeks and then layed a trap. When I caught it I took it to the vet and they ran a DNA test. After a few hundred dollars and ALOT of time on the phone with the lab they confirmed....it was! I was shocked. We named him squnny and he lives in my back yard.

:yahoo:

Shhhhh...be vewwy vewwy quiet....

idiganthro

Sure it wasn't a glimpse of a smallish groundhog? We see them in trees where I work fairly often. Trees with some "lean" to them, not straight ones.