Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Watching Fireworks from Vessels

Its also possible that boundaries changed based on prevailing conditions. Most of the time this isn't an issue. I have been on an Auxiliary boat as a crew member for the races in Pax River before and those boundaries seemed to work out. I can see how a boundary for fireworks might move suddenly before showtime.

Here in Garrett County there are usually hundreds of lake boats going to part of lake below WISP ski area to watch. Deep Creek Lake is largest in MD! My worst case accident scenario is: Fireworks are over, & boats start to leave area for home docks from large cove. The boats follow in a parade out of cove. Someone falls overboard from one of the boats. In the darkness & desire to get home quick, no one (except that one boat) knows someone is in water. The following boats continue out & cut up the person in water into fish chum! Warning signs such as flashing lights & hollers & screaming are not likely to stop more that just the following boat!
    It needs DNR & local planning to help prevent and/or rescue any such event.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningBolt View Post
    Here in Garrett County there are usually hundreds of lake boats going to part of lake below WISP ski area to watch. Deep Creek Lake is largest in MD! My worst case accident scenario is: Fireworks are over, & boats start to leave area for home docks from large cove. The boats follow in a parade out of cove. Someone falls overboard from one of the boats. In the darkness & desire to get home quick, no one (except that one boat) knows someone is in water. The following boats continue out & cut up the person in water into fish chum! Warning signs such as flashing lights & hollers & screaming are not likely to stop more that just the following boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Baja28 View Post
    Go fast boater here. Sounds like you're a bit jealous there skippy. I'll pit my skills against you any day. Name it. Only a moron would lump everyone into one category.

And unlike yourself, I can spell "stupid" and "buoy".
    Former 10 year go fast here. By far, jet skis are the biggest hazard on any waterway I've ever been. In terms of damage to shoreline, semi displacements do it. Go fasts don't do much besides make noise.

Quote Originally Posted by LightningBolt View Post
    this actually happened here in Solomons.... July 3rd, 1987... back when solomons held the fireworks display on the 3rd. the boat hit a buoy, after the fireworks were over...18yr old friend fell overboard. although someone in the boat saw him go over, his body was not recovered until the next morning - too much boat traffic at the time of the accident and no one could find him in the dark. he'd just graduated high school a month prior. unfortunately, alcohol was definitely a difference maker.

6. 03-14-2013, 04:43 PM

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.