Apartments in St. Mary's?

teacherhm

I was recently hired in St. Mary's in the Leonardtown area and will be looking to move (in the next few months) from Calvert. I've made a list of apartment complexes that I think look relatively safe, have pretty good ratings on apartmentratings.com, and are reasonably priced, et cetera.
I would love to hear opinions/advice/suggestions about these places (or others) from anyone who might know more about them. (Just a heads up, I'm only looking for one bedroom apartments.) If you'd rather send me a message than respond on here, please feel free to do so! Thanks in advance! :huggy:

1) Greenview Village Apartments - Lexington Park, MD

3) The Apartments of Wildewood - California, MD

5) Abberly Crest - Lexington Park, MD
6) Park Villas - Lexington Park, MD
7) Spyglass at Cedar Cove Apartments - Lexington Park, MD
8) Elan Settler's Landing - California, MD
9) The Greens at Hilton Run - Lexington Park, MD
10) Hickory Hills East - Great Mills, MD

Last edited:

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
You should strike 2 and 4 right off the list. I don't think anyone would in good faith recommend them to anyone.

Abberly crest is very nice, and the one bedrooms are lovely. A bit pricier than some, though. I stayed at hickory hills for a year, in the townhomes and found them to be reasonably priced and safe.

Good luck.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
You'll have the shortest commute if you move to Wildewood. Take St Andrews Church Road to Rt 5 and you'll be only minutes away from any Leonardtown school.

blazinlow89

Big Poppa
I can say #7 should be on your last resort list. Lived there for over 2 years, management changed about 5 times. Expensive, older 80's style apartments, they have been updating them but asking over $1050 for a 1 bedroom. We started out at $850 a month, our next renewal was going to be for $1009.

I like the place, it has nice access to the beach, pretty sweet pool, and close as hell to work. The management company does not give this place the time of day though.

Pros
Beach, pool, proximity to PAX, friendly community

Cons
Expensive, old, someone attempted to break into my truck 2 times, and succeeded once with over $6k in damage. Sewage pump backed up and pretty much all lower level apts had issues, management replaced carpet and that was all.

Dev

Anti-theist
Wildewood is ok, but they do have a fairly long wait list.

Abberly Crest is nice if you don't mind 0 cell service. I've lived there for 2 years.

Settlers Landing is shaping up to look nice but they are even more expensive than Abberly. Also they aren't scheduled to be open until October.

rmorse

1) Greenview Village Apartments - Lexington Park, MD
Hell no
2) Indian Bridge Apartments - Lexington Park, MD
Hell no
3) The Apartments of Wildewood - California, MD
Good
4) St. Mary's Landing - Lexington Park, MD
Hell no
5) Abberly Crest - Lexington Park, MD
Good
6) Park Villas - Lexington Park, MD
Good, but close to bad. I lived there for a year with zero issues. Only moved because I bought a house.
7) Spyglass at Cedar Cove Apartments - Lexington Park, MD
Eh. Last resort of the good category.
8) Elan Settler's Landing - California, MD
No clue.

:coffee:

edreedisgod20

Depends on your price range. Abberly Crest and Wildewood are the current nicest but are the most expensive. The pricing at Settler's Landing is ridiculous based on what I've seen but if you can afford them then they are probably going to be the best as far as safety and convenience, based on pricing and location. Spyglass seemed nice when I went to check it out on my own apartment search, but reviews from those who have lived there are mixed and those are about the farthest from Leonardtown.

You don't have The Greens on your list, they are priced well, seem to be kept up well, and seems to be full of base workers, so safe enough. I've been looking for an apartment as well and after seeing most of the ones you've listed as well as The Greens, think that is the place I am going to move to. Haven't lived there yet though so that is all from visiting/viewing, maybe someone who has lived there (recently, because I understand it was a bad, bad place a few years ago) can tell more.

teacherhm

Depends on your price range. Abberly Crest and Wildewood are the current nicest but are the most expensive. The pricing at Settler's Landing is ridiculous based on what I've seen but if you can afford them then they are probably going to be the best as far as safety and convenience, based on pricing and location. Spyglass seemed nice when I went to check it out on my own apartment search, but reviews from those who have lived there are mixed and those are about the farthest from Leonardtown.

You don't have The Greens on your list, they are priced well, seem to be kept up well, and seems to be full of base workers, so safe enough. I've been looking for an apartment as well and after seeing most of the ones you've listed as well as The Greens, think that is the place I am going to move to. Haven't lived there yet though so that is all from visiting/viewing, maybe someone who has lived there (recently, because I understand it was a bad, bad place a few years ago) can tell more.

I had The Greens at Hilton Run on my list at one point, but after reading some reviews (The Greens at Hilton Run Apartment Ratings, Reviews, Map, Rents, and other Lexington Park apartments for rent from ApartmentRatings.com) it made me nervous. Then again, St. Mary's Landing and Indian Bridge have good reviews online, so that tells you how reliable those apparently are... anyone else have any advice on The Greens?

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
In my opinion, I'd stay away from all of those, but apartment living isn't where I roll.

Wildewood is probably the best option as far as the apartments go, but look around for good rental opportunities away from the developements. Sometimes the good ones pop up that a less expensive, more room, actually have a yard to hang out in, and not surrounded by other people...

...right here on somd.com there is are listings for stand alone rentals.

teacherhm

Thank you all so much for the replies so far! It's been immensely helpful! :)

In addition to that list (which I've officially crossed St. Mary's Landing and Indian Bridge off of), does anyone have any input on Hickory Hills East, The Greens at Hilton Run, and Greenview Village?

I've also seen rentals in Spring Valley, but can't find a website for them or anything... anyone know anything about them?

Last edited:

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
I lived in HH east 4 to 5 years ago. The rent was outrages for a single BR. Just before I left they were going to increase the rent to 900+/month. The neighborhood had its share of noise makers (cars screaming away, loud music as they drive by and park at all hours of the night), but if you get good neighbors you shouldn't have any REAL problems.

All the developments in this area are built like tin cans. You will hear just about everything going on in the apartments adjacent to yours and vice versa.

Really, if you are a renter that is considerate of others, then, it comes down the your neighbors. If all involved are considerate, few problems will arise and if they do, can be settled by simply be knocking on the door.

Have you lived in a apartment before?

edit

Last edited:

teacherhm

I lived in HH east 4 to 5 years ago. The rent was outrages for a single BR. Just before I left they were going to increase the rent to 900+/month. The neighborhood had its share of noise makers (cars screaming away, loud music as they drive by and park at all hours of the night), but if you get good neighbors you shouldn't have any REAL problems.

All the developments in this area are built like tin cans. You will hear just about everything going on in the apartments adjacent to yours and vice versa.

Really, if you are a renter that is considerate of others, then, it comes down the your neighbors. If all involved are considerate, few problems will arise and if they do, can be settled by simply be knocking on the door.

Have you lived in a apartment before?

edit

Nope! I lived on campus in college all four years, but I haven't lived on my own yet. :rolleyes: (I'm 24 and just landed my first permanent teaching job after a lot of temporary teaching positions in Calvert.) So, I'm familiar with Calvert since I grew up here, but there really aren't many places to live in Calvert that aren't single family homes and/or very expensive. :(

Cheeky1

Yae warsh wif' wutr
Nope! I lived on campus in college all four years, but I haven't lived on my own yet. :rolleyes: (I'm 24 and just landed my first permanent teaching job after a lot of temporary teaching positions in Calvert.) So, I'm familiar with Calvert since I grew up here, but there really aren't many places to live in Calvert that aren't single family homes and/or very expensive. :(

Good luck.

Try to stay away from section 8 if you can. It DOES make a difference.

Beta84

They're out to get us
I've never had a problem with Abberly. They're less than 10 years old in phase 1 and then phase 2 is only 2-3 years old. The rent has been pretty stable for years, but it's pretty high compared to other places on your list. They're supposedly going to start working on phase 3 soon, so that might help keep the prices down for awhile. Like someone else said, cell phone service is spotty inside -- it really depends on what you have and what apartment (or even room) you're sitting in. I have service most of the time but it's 1-2 bars.

One thing to note: Abberly has a storage room that doesn't seem to be available in any other complex. If you have a lot of junk and don't want to buy a storage unit or separate garage to store things, that might be something to consider. They also have pretty solid internet & cable that are included in your final rent, which is usually $50/mo more than what they advertise due to that added cable/internet expense. It's nice not to have to deal with extra bills though. Another added bonus: it's one of the few places in the county where power seems to survive during storms more often than not. If I were to do things over I may not pick Abberly due to the price, but there aren't any real negatives so that's always nice.

BTW, It looks like you have Greenview as #1 and #11. I don't know that much about it but listing it twice seems like overkill. It's also located right off of Great Mills Road, so I doubt you'll hear many ringing endorsements for that area. Same goes for Park Villas, but I'm only discussing the area (check the crime ratings as mentioned elsewhere) and know nothing of either complex. At least with Abberly & The Greens, you're relatively removed from GMR even though it's not too far away. Speaking of which, both Abberly and the Greens are close enough to route 5 that you can take that route instead of taking 235. That at least avoids some of the traffic that you might be concerned about living that far down the road.

In case you haven't done this already, be sure to check the classifieds on this website -- there may be some random apartments, basements, or homes for rent for similar prices to these apartment complexes.

I would rank them:
1) Abberly/Wildewood
2) Greens/Spyglass

It sounds like Evan Settlers may jump that list but if they aren't opening til October then there's no point rating them yet. You may want to look into that one as well and rent an apartment in the Greens (cheapest of the decent places I think) temporarily until it opens, assuming that's your favorite.

You'll get people who say every complex has its pros and cons (especially when you're talking about price) but you need to figure out what works for you. Hope this helps.

bohman

Thank you all so much for the replies so far! It's been immensely helpful! :)

In addition to that list (which I've officially crossed St. Mary's Landing and Indian Bridge off of), does anyone have any input on Hickory Hills East, The Greens at Hilton Run, and Greenview Village?

I've also seen rentals in Spring Valley, but can't find a website for them or anything... anyone know anything about them?

I recommend you scratch Spring Valley off your list.