Toddler sleep patterns

KDENISE977

Do they change? My son will go from sleeping from 8:00 p.m. till 6 a.m. with no problems, to the next week, he's up every few hours and crying? I don't get it? Been going on for a couple months now and I can't make any sense of it?

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
Do they change? My son will go from sleeping from 8:00 p.m. till 6 a.m. with no problems, to the next week, he's up every few hours and crying? I don't get it? Been going on for a couple months now and I can't make any sense of it?

i am super strict (and her dad says mean :killingme) about Monster's sleep routine. MY sanity and the cleanliness of the house depends on it, so from day one I have been very punctual with her sleep. thusly, she is very good about it. however, we do adjust slightly..she used to go to bed promptly at 7pm, then I noticed she was not as sleepy at 7, so we switched to 7:30 (and adjusted the whole routine by 30 min) and it was perfect. SO I am strict, but understand that she changes daily, so the schedule should accomodate her changing.

That said..toddlers have a lot of "stuff" they go through..teething (mean molars, yuck) being a main one, which can disrupt sleep. If you think that may be an issue, a small dose of tylenol or advil before bed does wonders.

Also, the seperation anxiety thing plays a major part in toddlers too, and going into their room to cuddle and soothe them only makes it worse. not that you should ignore a cry, of course, but I would give it a moment or two to see if it calms on its own, or a quick peek in to make sure baby is ok, and then letting him put himself back to sleep.

I have found that the moms I talk to who have baby sleeping problems, pretty much universally go into baby's room to hold them and talk to them when they cry. monster rarely wakes up, but when she does I peek to make sure she is alright and let her calm herself down. its usually about 2 min of fussing then boom, her little butt is snoozing again.

KDENISE977

i am super strict (and her dad says mean :killingme) about Monster's sleep routine. MY sanity and the cleanliness of the house depends on it, so from day one I have been very punctual with her sleep. thusly, she is very good about it. however, we do adjust slightly..she used to go to bed promptly at 7pm, then I noticed she was not as sleepy at 7, so we switched to 7:30 (and adjusted the whole routine by 30 min) and it was perfect. SO I am strict, but understand that she changes daily, so the schedule should accomodate her changing.

That said..toddlers have a lot of "stuff" they go through..teething (mean molars, yuck) being a main one, which can disrupt sleep. If you think that may be an issue, a small dose of tylenol or advil before bed does wonders.

Also, the seperation anxiety thing plays a major part in toddlers too, and going into their room to cuddle and soothe them only makes it worse. not that you should ignore a cry, of course, but I would give it a moment or two to see if it calms on its own, or a quick peek in to make sure baby is ok, and then letting him put himself back to sleep.

I have found that the moms I talk to who have baby sleeping problems, pretty much universally go into baby's room to hold them and talk to them when they cry. monster rarely wakes up, but when she does I peek to make sure she is alright and let her calm herself down. its usually about 2 min of fussing then boom, her little butt is snoozing again.

I know that you're right and that consistency is the key to good sleep habits and we TRY but he's just so random. I've had daycare cut his P.M. nap to 30 minutes to try and help him sleep and I've actually done the tylenol/advil a few times and oddly enough he actually wakes up MORE when we give it to him? He falls asleep faster, but doesn't STAY asleep. He slept perfectly sound until he reached about 7 months old, now he's 14 months and sleep is our ONLY problem !

libertytyranny

Dream Stealer
I know that you're right and that consistency is the key to good sleep habits and we TRY but he's just so random. I've had daycare cut his P.M. nap to 30 minutes to try and help him sleep and I've actually done the tylenol/advil a few times and oddly enough he actually wakes up MORE when we give it to him? He falls asleep faster, but doesn't STAY asleep. He slept perfectly sound until he reached about 7 months old, now he's 14 months and sleep is our ONLY problem !

its not easy, and I have to fight her father when he has her because he is all about going in there if she cries, but you have suck it up and let him wind himself down. but I always remind him that right NOW is the time to make sure sleep habits are ingrained..because in just a few short months she will be out of the crib, and into a real bed, and then she can get out of bed and that is a disaster and much harder to work with..now hes stuck in the crib so you can let him cry it out a bit while being relatively assured hes safe and not getting into anything.:killingme

I had two babies Same baby mommy and baby daddy for each.

My daughter was a habitual sleeper. Very consistent... would sleep for long periods just wonderfully.

My son was completely different. If I put him to bed too early, he would treat it as a long nap and be WIDE AWAKE in time to watch David Lettermen. :ohwell:

As much as parents like to think they are in control, each kid is different and some will sync with what the parents want and others won't. And boys and girls tend to be different in many ways.

You son sounds like he is pretty much on a normal schedule for the most part, I don't see where you have much control over him having some off nights... we all have them.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S III )

KDENISE977 said:
somdfunguy said:
you need to give him more chores to wear him out.

I think you're right, he needs to start taking the trash out and running up and down the driveway or something. Maybe he needs a beer?!?!

You said he's upset Nick cartoons are not on. So use this to get him active so he wears himself out.

Last edited:

KDENISE977

Wirelessly posted (Samsung Galaxy S III )

You said he's upset Nick cartoons are not on. Get him active so he wears himself out.

Yeah, he was only watching the toons from about 5:00-5:30 so I could pack his bag for the next day and get his clothes sorted out for bed and what not. After that he's tearin around the house and getting into everything. I try to have him on GO until it's time for dinner and bedtime.

somdfunguy

not impressed
Yeah, he was only watching the toons from about 5:00-5:30 so I could pack his bag for the next day and get his clothes sorted out for bed and what not. After that he's tearin around the house and getting into everything. I try to have him on GO until it's time for dinner and bedtime.

hamster wheel?

SoMDGirl42

My daughter was a habitual sleeper. Very consistent... would sleep for long periods just wonderfully.

My son was completely different. If I put him to bed too early, he would treat it as a long nap and be WIDE AWAKE in time to watch David Lettermen. :ohwell:

As much as parents like to think they are in control, each kid is different and some will sync with what the parents want and others won't. And boys and girls tend to be different in many ways.

You son sounds like he is pretty much on a normal schedule for the most part, I don't see where you have much control over him having some off nights... we all have them.
:yeahthat:

all of mine had different sleeping habits

My 6 year old does not require alot of sleep. At least she's to the age now where she occupies herself in the middle of night when she doesn't sleep :lol:

KDENISE977

This makes me feel better and not like such a TIRED failure !!

KDENISE977

This is what I got from his teachers via text. He's kind of a hyper kiddo.

Attachments

• Daycare.jpg
    Daycare.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 107
This makes me feel better and not like such a TIRED failure !!
Having a 2nd child makes one realize that the natural born traits and character of a child really drive parenting technics rather than parenting technics driving the behavior and personality of a child.

The same two parents raising multiple children in the same home environment ends up requiring various and specific parenting techniques per child.

ewashkow

Do you have a nighttime routine? No matter how wound up and crazy my 2 year old (28 months) is during the day, when he hears the water start to run in the tub he knows that it is time to start winding down since that has been his routine since he was 4 months old. After the bath, he gets a choice of the following: either 3 stories of his choosing, or calm play with a puzzle and Q&A with a picture book.

My 5 month old has been on a similar routine with a massage instead of a puzzle and has been sleeping through the night since 2 months.

Also, cutting back on nap time might not be a good idea. If your son still seems as though he needs a PM nap, let him take one. Lack of sleep actually makes it harder to fall asleep and stay asleep at night. My 2 year old still takes a roughly 3 hour nap/quiet time each day.

Like LibertyTyranny said, let him fuss for awhile to determine just what is going on. As I am sure you are aware, there are differences between an "ugh" type fuss and an "I'm hurt" fuss. If you go running in everytime he makes a sound, it becomes a game for him and counterproductive.

Good luck!