65lb Rabid Beaver Attacks Girls

Lilypad

Rabid Beaver Attacks Girls in Virginia Lake | News from the Field | OutsideOnline.com

A 65-pound rabid beaver attacked two sisters at Virginia's Lake Anna, leaving them with serious injuries. Annabella and Alyssa Radnovich, ages 8 and 11, were swimming in the lake Sunday morning when the large rodent approached. “She could see this dark shadow underneath her, so she thought it was a person,” the girls' mother said.

I was in the area and heard the details of the 911 call on my radio, my first thought was maybe the beaver scratched the girls legs...beavers are social creatures and a very few have ever tested positive for rabies.
A friend of the family shot the beaver and put it in a cooler for health dept. officials. Sure enough it was rabid.
My hope for these young sisters is a speedy recovery; I pray they do not get complications from the poor quality of the water at Sorbie Ck.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
my sil just took the kids there the other day.... :cds:

if there is one rabid beaver there... just makes me think what did he infect?

bcp

In My Opinion
my sil just took the kids there the other day.... :cds:

if there is one rabid beaver there... just makes me think what did he infect?

I doubt the rabies are confined to just one animal, if there is one, there has to be others. Unless he was infected then the one that infected him died.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I doubt the rabies are confined to just one animal, if there is one, there has to be others. Unless he was infected then the one that infected him died.

no not at all... could have been a fox or coon that got him and other animals... then what did he infect before he died

Lilypad

The number of confirmed rabies cases in VA this year jumped 20% through July 2, compared with the same period in 2010. Almost half of this year's 304 confirmed rabies cases in the state were raccoons.