Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State: The cover up continues...

Quote Originally Posted by xobxdoc View Post
    So they should replace it with a statue of Sandusky.
    I don't see why. I would think we are served better with reminders of great men who had terrible failings rather than a reminder of a perpetrator.

Care to elaborate?
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Quote Originally Posted by Baja28 View Post
    I'll give you that but the crime is still just as heinous. .
    I have NO clue how you can reasonably mean that. None.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Blog Entries
    Just a reminder: Paterno didn't molest any children. At least not so far as we know, unless new information has come out that I haven't been paying attention to. Not sure why they want to remove the statue. My ASSumption is that it was put up in the first place because he was such a great football coach. What does this scandal have to do with Paterno's football wins?
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by Baja28 View Post
    Leaving a statue to remember what he allowed? Nuts man, just nuts!

And now in the aftermath when a family walks by the statue, no one thinks about great football, they think about molested children. The story is too big.
    You make my point. Had we thought less about football in the first place, not put it on such a pedestal, then, there would have been far less pressure by so many people in high, responsible positions to try and hide the crimes that they then became complicit in.

Now, we just hide it all. Pretend it never happened. Nothing to see here. Which was the problem in the first place.

ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    Just a reminder: Paterno didn't molest any children. At least not so far as we know, unless new information has come out that I haven't been paying attention to. Not sure why they want to remove the statue. My ASSumption is that it was put up in the first place because he was such a great football coach. What does this scandal have to do with Paterno's football wins?
    Joe's crime is that he did know Sandusky was molesting kids and he tried to hide it and he denied knowing anything about it. He was complicit in it continuing.

That's why I say keep the statue; he was a great coach who did a lot of good for the school and a great many young men. He was also human and fallible.

I think THAT is a message worth reflecting on EVERY time someone looks at his statue.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    I have NO clue how you can reasonably mean that. None.
    I rank child molestation right up there with murder. Penalty should be the same for both.
    Quote Originally Posted by ICit View Post
    .... i just swallowed... I was lucky

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    I would think we are served better with reminders of great men who had terrible failings rather than a reminder of a perpetrator.
    Do you really think a bunch of mush headed college kids are going to look at that statue and go, "Gee, great men can have moral failings. I'm feeling so enlightened"?

To me one thing has nothing to do with the other.
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Sorry Larry, we as a society generally don't use statues are reminders of those who committed evil deeds, no matter the scale. We use them to commemorate those who fought against them. It's not covering up anything, its removing the sign of public adulation, saying that his legacy isn't his incredible record, but instead his silence while boys lives were destroyed.
    "I aim to misbehave."

All of the good that Joe did is now negated by the fact that he allowed and condoned child molestation. Anyone who does that does not deserve a statue.
    Quote Originally Posted by ICit View Post
    .... i just swallowed... I was lucky

Do you really think a bunch of mush headed college kids are going to look at that statue and go, "Gee, great men can have moral failings. I'm feeling so enlightened"?

To me one thing has nothing to do with the other.
    To me, it's not about college kids. They are there to learn. They don't build stadiums or run football or science programs. Adults do and adults, teachers, a university, in my view, has the responsibility of educating and, just as any philosophy class one might take, what you learn can take on deeper meaning over time. Like when you grow up and are helping to, say, run a football program and remember back to what was done in the past and what SHOULD have been done. Maybe it helps make some kid of today a stronger, better man tomorrow?

ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Members who have read this thread: 22