Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State: The cover up continues...

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    I don't see why. I would think we are served better with reminders of great men who had terrible failings rather than a reminder of a perpetrator.

Care to elaborate?
    Apparently he wasn't so great.

Joe's crime is that he did know Sandusky was molesting kids and he tried to hide it and he denied knowing anything about it. He was complicit in it continuing.

That's why I say keep the statue; he was a great coach who did a lot of good for the school and a great many young men. He was also human and fallible.

I think THAT is a message worth reflecting on EVERY time someone looks at his statue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja28 View Post
    I'll give you that but the crime is still just as heinous. Leaving a statue to remember what he allowed? Nuts man, just nuts!

And now in the aftermath when a family walks by the statue, no one thinks about great football, they think about molested children. The story is too big.
    ^this^
    Quote Originally Posted by ICit View Post
    .... i just swallowed... I was lucky

It's a good thing that a school like that would never twist an investigation to put a good portion of the blame on someone who was dead and couldn't refute the findings....
    All it takes is one bad day to reduce the sanest man alive to lunacy. That's how far the world is from where I am. Just one bad day - Mr. J

Quote Originally Posted by Baja28 View Post
    All of the good that Joe did is now negated by the fact that he allowed and condoned child molestation. Anyone who does that does not deserve a statue.
    So, only perfect people deserve statues?

Consider. Why do you suppose Paterno, and a WHOLE bunch of other people, including parents, turned their backs on this, huh?

Speculation;

Was Hoe molested as a boy and learned that, unlike being murdered, it is something that happens, you deal with it, move on and can have a great life?

Did Joe know, perhaps, that Sandusky was molested as a boy? Same kind of thing? Jerry overcame much, did much good but, had this dark secret thing?

These are not excuses. This is to say that these people were NOT Adolph Hitler or Joe Stalin. They did MUCH good for other people. MUCH. They also had terrible, very human failings. We all like to think that had we been there we would surely have blown the whistle, had people arrested, shot Sandusky out back and left him for the buzzards and some people probably would have.

However, right now, some kids are being molested by someone in a position of power and people around them know it and are struggling with what to do. Or, you can pretend that EVERYONE involved with this that facilitated it going on is as bad as a mass murderer and evil incarnate.

Leaving the statue is as much for those people, a very uncomfortable reminder that not just Joe failed. That is far too neat and tidy for my tastes.

Reminders are supposed to support good as well as discourage bad.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

It's my understanding that they are putting the statue in storage as opposed to destroying it altogether. I would imagine it's because it is such a nice work of art and it does still represent the positive qualitites of the man. I'm sure a large part of their willingness to put it away also has to do with the increased chances of vandalism and campus safety, too. I think it's odd that you're focusing on the more negative aspect of the statue removal while asking other's to focus on the positive (hopeful) side of it.
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult....

Quote Originally Posted by MMM_donuts View Post
    It's my understanding that they are putting the statue in storage as opposed to destroying it altogether. I would imagine it's because it is such a nice work of art and it does still represent the positive qualitites of the man. .
    To hijack my own tread, it is one of the goofiest, worse looking statues I have ever seen. Just terrible. Makes Joe Pa look silly.

ADHD; Interdisciplinary

To hijack my own tread, it is one of the goofiest, worse looking statues I have ever seen. Just terrible. Makes Joe Pa look silly.

Right?! I think the same thing. And I can't help but wonder what they're going to do with it. Is it really going to stay in storage forever?
    Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult....

Quote Originally Posted by MMM_donuts View Post
    Right?! I think the same thing. And I can't help but wonder what they're going to do with it. Is it really going to stay in storage forever?
    What if Joe Pa had been trying for years to get rid of that stupid statue and this is the only thing he could think of that would work????
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Condoning the rape of little boys makes him look sillier, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by xobxdoc View Post
    Condoning the rape of little boys makes him look sillier, IMO.
    Got me there.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Members who have read this thread: 22