Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Penn State: The cover up continues...

Penn State: The cover up continues...

...in conversation this morning about the removal of Joe Pa's statue, this point was made; not only did Paterno do enormous good for that school and a great many young men but, removing the statue takes away the reminder of not just that good he did over so many years but, and perhaps worse, it removes the reminder that even great men can do wrong. So, we came to the conclusion that the statue should have stayed and that the school, in removing it is, basically, doing what Paterno did when faced with a difficult problem; just hide it.

That statue would do far more good to be a constant reminder of that uncomfortable reality about man; hand in hand with our potential for excellence, we are not perfect, none of us, and even those we revere as among our best are fallible. As bad as it is that Paterno essentially allowed a bunch of boys to be molested, it, in effect, serves that basic wrong, the antiseptic idea of greatness, that got Penn State into this mess to begin with.

So, is it more likely to never happen again WITH or without the statue and other reminders? I say the statue should have stayed. Clearly. That it made people uncomfortable is all to the long term good.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

EmptyTimCup
    so there should be Statues of Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, in there respective host countries

Quote Originally Posted by EmptyTimCup View Post
    so there should be Statues of Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, in there respective host countries
    Yeah. Joe Pa = Mass murderer.

This is the sort of silliness that always makes have intelligent conversation challenging.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

I want a statue of Lefty at Maryland

Blog Entries
    their
    "Too much agreement kills a chat."
    ~Eldridge Cleaver

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    Yeah. Joe Pa = Mass murderer.

This is the sort of silliness that always makes have intelligent conversation challenging.
    Not so silly. Child abuse, specifically raping young boys, I consider just as heinous as murder.
    Quote Originally Posted by ICit View Post
    .... i just swallowed... I was lucky

Quote Originally Posted by Baja28 View Post
    Not so silly. Child abuse, specifically raping young boys, I consider just as heinous as murder.
    By who? I would FAR prefer my child was molested than killed.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Wirelessly posted

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde
    their
    :Hankism:
    Listen to me now, and believe me later: it doesn't matter how much you pump up those muscles, as long as you reach the full pumptential.

It's not 'roids but thanks for noticing...

By who? I would FAR prefer my child was molested than killed.
    I'll give you that but the crime is still just as heinous. Leaving a statue to remember what he allowed? Nuts man, just nuts!

And now in the aftermath when a family walks by the statue, no one thinks about great football, they think about molested children. The story is too big.
    Last edited by Baja28; 07-23-2012 at 08:48 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by ICit View Post
    .... i just swallowed... I was lucky

...in conversation this morning about the removal of Joe Pa's statue, this point was made; not only did Paterno do enormous good for that school and a great many young men but, removing the statue takes away the reminder of not just that good he did over so many years but, and perhaps worse, it removes the reminder that even great men can do wrong. So, we came to the conclusion that the statue should have stayed and that the school, in removing it is, basically, doing what Paterno did when faced with a difficult problem; just hide it.

That statue would do far more good to be a constant reminder of that uncomfortable reality about man; hand in hand with our potential for excellence, we are not perfect, none of us, and even those we revere as among our best are fallible. As bad as it is that Paterno essentially allowed a bunch of boys to be molested, it, in effect, serves that basic wrong, the antiseptic idea of greatness, that got Penn State into this mess to begin with.

So, is it more likely to never happen again WITH or without the statue and other reminders? I say the statue should have stayed. Clearly. That it made people uncomfortable is all to the long term good.
    So they should replace it with a statue of Sandusky.

Members who have read this thread: 22