Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: I am unreasonably angry

Quote Originally Posted by mAlice View Post
    Priest-Not a great movie, but you can see how he would fit the bill for Reacher.
    DaVinci Code-He's opus day-on a mission.
    A Knights Tale-this character does nothing to indicate he would be good for Reacher. But I think watching some of the movies he's in will help. I think he's fairly well rounded.

You may have even seen him and don't remember him. I'm think he's just coming into his own.

Paul Bettany Filmography
    I know that guy! He was Russel Crowe's surgeon in Master and Commander! GREAT movie and he did a wonderful job. However, I ain't seeing it. Reacher is intelligent but, also part cave man. Bettany is, comes off as, too intelligent, too intellectual for my idea of Reacher.

ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post
    I know that guy! He was Russel Crowe's surgeon in Master and Commander!
    I have an old online Australian acquaintance going back some 15 years or so who claims that Crowe is miscast in any tough guy role because...

He knew him way before he made it in movies, and said he got his ass kicked in bars too often to be convincing in that role. Said he was just too little.

I'm not so sure. It is called "acting" for a reason. Sean Connery was actually a bodybuilder before he became Bond, as was Schwarzenegger. Dolph Lundgren was a martial arts expert - who also graduated at the top of his class with a master's in chemical engineering.

But Eastwood? The Duke? Wayne got the nickname from his DOG. We know James Cagney as a tough guy, but he got his start as a song and dance man.

I agree with Larry that Tom as an assassin/criminal is convincing. As a tough guy, not so much. But I think it's because he is short. BTW - I like him in movies - I don't care what he is like in real life.

I still have a hard time seeing Matt Damon as a tough guy - because of his movie roles OTHER than Bourne - but I'm ok with Mark Wahlberg, even while remembering Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch (ditto Will Smith).
    “Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.".Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by SamSpade View Post
    I have an old online Australian acquaintance going back some 15 years or so who claims that Crowe is miscast in any tough guy role because...

He knew him way before he made it in movies, and said he got his ass kicked in bars too often to be convincing in that role. Said he was just too little.

I'm not so sure. It is called "acting" for a reason. Sean Connery was actually a bodybuilder before he became Bond, as was Schwarzenegger. Dolph Lundgren was a martial arts expert - who also graduated at the top of his class with a master's in chemical engineering.

But Eastwood? The Duke? Wayne got the nickname from his DOG. We know James Cagney as a tough guy, but he got his start as a song and dance man.

I agree with Larry that Tom as an assassin/criminal is convincing. As a tough guy, not so much. But I think it's because he is short. BTW - I like him in movies - I don't care what he is like in real life.

I still have a hard time seeing Matt Damon as a tough guy - because of his movie roles OTHER than Bourne - but I'm ok with Mark Wahlberg, even while remembering Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch (ditto Will Smith).
    That's all a good point, because it IS acting and, as such, I would presume Bettany, as a solid pro, would do a good job at most roles including Reacher but, maybe not and there have been some other actors, as I mentioned, that simply didn't work in some roles...in my view.

Damon, I have no trouble with; He's Jason Bourne for drying out loud.
    ADHD; Interdisciplinary

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gude View Post

Damon, I have no trouble with; He's Jason Bourne for drying out loud.
    I'm really looking forward to the new Bourne movie, even without MD, but look forward to seeing MD in future Bourne movies (keeping fingers crossed).
    Je suis prest

They call me ... Sarcasmo kom526's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Ok, I finally got around to picking up a Jack Reacher (Lee Child) book and ... Tom Cruise is no Jack Reacher. No way, no how. I do recommend reading Brad Thor and his badass main character Scot Harvath.
    Last edited by kom526; 10-21-2016 at 11:18 PM.
    Wrinkles only go where the smiles have been.

Somewhere, a teacher is crying with their red marker after reading your dribble.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl View Post
    Who is Jack Reacher?
    THE guy that will give you a reacharound
    Nero played the fiddle, Obama danced the Tango.

Quote Originally Posted by BadGirl
    Bob is the bestest lookin and smartest man I've ever met.

Quote Originally Posted by vraiblonde View Post
    I completely agree.

It just annoys me when they take a great book that could be a great movie and screw it up.

Please please please don't let them get their hands on Lucas Davenport or Mitch Rapp.
    You might have been happier with Ray Stevenson too.

Members who have read this thread: 1