Computer repair shops?

Peachypie

I have a Dell 1545 with a blank screen reading "Time of day clock stopped." I took it to Best Buy Geek Squad, who said to call Dell. I called Dell and their repair estimates are between $179 - $379.

Can anyone recommend a good repair shop in LaPlata, Waldorf, etc.

Thanks so much!

Chris0nllyn

Remove the power supply
Remove the PC battery
Remove the CMOS battery

Wait for 10 sec, then put them back.

Start the PC, you will be noticed of PC configuration (F1 to skip or F2 to enter the setup page). You can go either way.

After everything is removed, press the power button "on" (it will not turn on but will discharge the remaining current in the computer circuits and drain the cmos temp memory to reset it completely).

Lurk

Happy Creepy Ass Cracka
:yeahthat:

We use them and they are reasonably priced. They are in the shopping center next to the Thai Palace and Brasas restaurants.

Do not go into the Thai Palace after dark. In fact, it's best to avoid the entire parking lot after dark Friday through Sunday.

bcp

In My Opinion
take out battery, unplug laptop from charger
flip over, removed 6 screws from bottom of laptop
flip over, open laptop and put screen as far back as possible.
Take out the keyboard, top of keyboard has tabs that can be compressed to release it. (between the keys and the case.)
unhook ribbon connector from its plug in on system board.
take a flat piece of plastic like a guitar pick and run it along the seam all the way around the case where it connects to the bottom part. Lift front of top case.
Look down roughly in the front under case below where the B would be located on the keyboard. Remove the battery you see, go get new battery, put new battery in.
snap case back together, re attach the ribbon cable for the keyboard, snap keyboard back in.
shut system.
replace screws in back of system.
put battery back in, plug back in to charger. Reset the clock on the system.
enjoy for another 5 or ten years.

I have a Dell 1545 with a blank screen reading "Time of day clock stopped." I took it to Best Buy Geek Squad, who said to call Dell. I called Dell and their repair estimates are between $179 - $379.

Can anyone recommend a good repair shop in LaPlata, Waldorf, etc.

Thanks so much!

Hope you get it fixed. I too have a 1545. Totally sucks! 3 years old, 2 new hard drives, 1 new network card, and $200 in repair costs. After 1 desktop that failed and 2 crappy laptops, never will I buy another Dell.

bcp

In My Opinion
Hope you get it fixed. I too have a 1545. Totally sucks! 3 years old, 2 new hard drives, 1 new network card, and $200 in repair costs. After 1 desktop that failed and 2 crappy laptops, never will I buy another Dell.

I wont buy Dell again either.

I won't disagree with ya, but you can't blame the hard drives on Dell. Dell doesn't make the drive, there's only a small handfull of manufacturers. Dell may have, however, picked a lemon of a drive.

And the most common reason for a hard drive failure in a laptop is smacking or dropping the laptop down while the drive is spinning. It can only handle just so much shock.

E

EmptyTimCup

I have multiple brand computers in the house .......... Dell, HP ... I also built my gaming PC ....

we have had laptops last 5 yrs no problem .... or 6 months after purchase, replacing a hard drive ....

everyone makes them as cheep as possible ....... [everyone wants a $ 500 computer] you get what you pay for

maybe spend a little more and buy a business class model ..... and get the 3 yr warranty ....

Last edited by a moderator:

Wrkn4livn

I have multiple brand computers in the house .......... Dell, HP ... I also built my gaming PC ....

we have had laptops last 5 yrs no problem .... or 6 months after purchase, replacing a hard drive ....

everyone makes them as cheep as possible ....... [everyone wants a $ 500 computer] you get what you pay for

maybe spend a little more and buy a business class model ..... and get the 3 yr warranty ....
You get what you pay for... Buy an Apple.

High EGT

Gort! Klaatu barada nikto
Try Chesapeake PC Source, LLC "The Computer Doctors" located @ 26005 Point Lookout Rd, Leonardtown, 301-475-2979. Used them a couple times and so far never disappointed. In fact my last visit was at no charge and was to confirm what the Geek Squad said was a bad Mother Board.

Wrkn4livn

But then become snooty and arrogant because you're part of the 1%.
I could care less what kind of computer you use. All I know is that I've owned PC'S and I've owned MAC. MAC are better for me but they DO cost more. The OS software has NEVER crashed while using my MAC. The only Program that has crashed is the MS for MAC Word program. Go figure.

mamaof1

Hunters bits and bytes has my vote. He guarantees his work and is a wealth of information! He is located behind Kmart in California.

Very helpful! I took him my laptop on a thurs or Friday and had it back on Saturday, what I wasn't expecting til Monday.

rucamero

Computer Repairs Southern Maryland

This business helped me with onsite repairs. They are called Computer Solutions - 443-684-8250, They advertise as Fast, Friendly, and Affordable. Guy was great.