Fleas!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Ugh! We have never had a problem with fleas so help me out here. A few months ago my mom's little yorkie got fleas (she treats her religiously every month, and we treat our dog every month as well). We didn't visit until the fleas were gone, but they still managed to make their way to my dog. :mad: So then my poor little (not so little) indoor cat gets fleas! Frontline has always worked for us (or maybe we just never were exposed to fleas :lol:) so I get some for the cat. We do that for 3 months to "stop the life cycle" and there are no more flea issues. Fast forward to this week and we have fleas again! :mad: We're not infested or anything and we only ever see them on the animals. Right now it's the cat. So I gave him his Frontline a week early (on Monday) but he's still a little itchy and I saw 3 fleas on him on Tuesday. At this point we will be switching to Advantage for the cat and Advantix for the dog, but since I just dosed the cat I know have to wait a month.

I know that certain flea products are very very dangerous for cats. Can I use flea shampoo made for cats or should I just give him a regular bath? Also, the stuff that you buy to spray all over the house and couch and all that - is that safe? I know he can't be in the room when I'm spraying but will there be a residue that will cause him harm? Again, we're not overrun by fleas but I don't want it to get any worse.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Ugh! We have never had a problem with fleas so help me out here. A few months ago my mom's little yorkie got fleas (she treats her religiously every month, and we treat our dog every month as well). We didn't visit until the fleas were gone, but they still managed to make their way to my dog. :mad: So then my poor little (not so little) indoor cat gets fleas! Frontline has always worked for us (or maybe we just never were exposed to fleas :lol:) so I get some for the cat. We do that for 3 months to "stop the life cycle" and there are no more flea issues. Fast forward to this week and we have fleas again! :mad: We're not infested or anything and we only ever see them on the animals. Right now it's the cat. So I gave him his Frontline a week early (on Monday) but he's still a little itchy and I saw 3 fleas on him on Tuesday. At this point we will be switching to Advantage for the cat and Advantix for the dog, but since I just dosed the cat I know have to wait a month.

I know that certain flea products are very very dangerous for cats. Can I use flea shampoo made for cats or should I just give him a regular bath? Also, the stuff that you buy to spray all over the house and couch and all that - is that safe? I know he can't be in the room when I'm spraying but will there be a residue that will cause him harm? Again, we're not overrun by fleas but I don't want it to get any worse.

I hear ya....

first... be careful with advantix being used in a house with a cat. Very toxic for cats.

it has been a hot and humid few months.... they love it!!

I know you can find it at petco.. but then maybe order online.. but Capstar kills alive fleas fast... safe to use like everyday if you had the money.

but if you did it a few times ...paired up with a topical that will stop the egg cycle... then you should be good be good.

i wouldnt use something to wash them in...

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Okay, so nix the Advantix, try Capstar (may as well get some for the dog too) and let the Frontline do it's thing. No bath, no spray. Thank you!!! :love:

red_explorer

carpet or floors

The flea eggs are probably in the floors or carpet, or in your beds.... You need to wash everything. Also, either flea bomb or put borax on your floors or in your carpet. Keep the critters out for a few hours, then vacuum totally and completely.

red_explorer

Advantix

Okay, so nix the Advantix, try Capstar (may as well get some for the dog too) and let the Frontline do it's thing. No bath, no spray. Thank you!!! :love:

Ive been pretty happy with results from Advantix on my dog and Advantage on my cats. I put it on my dog, and keep her in my room, away from the cats, for a few hours.... its worked very well for the last few years.

Frontline is useless anymore.

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
Ive been pretty happy with results from Advantix on my dog and Advantage on my cats. I put it on my dog, and keep her in my room, away from the cats, for a few hours.... its worked very well for the last few years.

Frontline is useless anymore.

i try to keep them apart for a few days..... my dogs look as if they have an oil slick on their back right now.. and its been two days

red_explorer

:)

i try to keep them apart for a few days..... my dogs look as if they have an oil slick on their back right now.. and its been two days

Each dog is different. Mine takes about 15 minutes, but I allow a lot longer to be sure.

Roman

If you want to wash the Kitty, use Dawn Dish Liquid, it works wonders. Borax on the Carpets, as mentioned earlier, works well too. It can be found in the Laundry Detergent section of almost every Store. Go to the Dollar Store, and get some large Flea Collars. Chop them in to 2, to 3 inch segments, and put one in your Vacuum Bag. Save the rest of the chunks in a Zip Lock Baggie, and place a new chunk in the vacuum bag when you change it. Make sure you discard the buckle part of the Collar, it can rip holes in the vacuum bag. Good luck, I feel your pain. IMO, Front Line Sucks now. I use Revolution on my Cats, and it's wonderful!!

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
If you want to wash the Kitty, use Dawn Dish Liquid, it works wonders. Borax on the Carpets, as mentioned earlier, works well too. It can be found in the Laundry Detergent section of almost every Store. Go to the Dollar Store, and get some large Flea Collars. Chop them in to 2, to 3 inch segments, and put one in your Vacuum Bag. Save the rest of the chunks in a Zip Lock Baggie, and place a new chunk in the vacuum bag when you change it. Make sure you discard the buckle part of the Collar, it can rip holes in the vacuum bag. Good luck, I feel your pain. IMO, Front Line Sucks now. I use Revolution on my Cats, and it's wonderful!!
Thanks - so just sprinkle the Borax on the carpet and vacuum it up? We have a Dyson so the canister gets emptied into the trash after every use.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Thanks - so just sprinkle the Borax on the carpet and vacuum it up? We have a Dyson so the canister gets emptied into the trash after every use.

I use borax for everything and have never had a problem. Though the box says to color treat a spot on your carpet first. It's like a dry laundry powder and you can sprinkle it on your carpet and use it to wash your linens. Make sure you wash all cat/dog beddign and toys as well. You can also mix it with water and spray a solution and spray on your furniture. The box gives various instructions. I always get 20 Mule Team Link and it's pet safe. Another link

You may also want to sprinkle some borax in your yard mixed with salt to kill any fleas that have migrated off the dog to outside and then are making it back in the house. I believe the percentage is 2 parts borax to one part salt, but you may want to look that up.

When you vacuum, make sure the trash goes outside. Also you may want to rinse the cannister and filter to ensure all fleas & eggs are gone.