Tell me about your home town

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The top 20 places to live got me homesick. I'm from the best city in America, even though it's not on the "official list".

Lincoln, NE - pop. 262,341

Smack dab in the middle of the US, Lincoln boasts a major university and several smaller ones, a pretty darn good college football program, and several incredible performing arts venues. There are numerous opportunities for entertainment and restaurants for every taste.

Lincoln has a proper downtown, with offices, shopping, bars and restaurants, and apartments all within walking distance. In fact, that's what we used to do when I was a teen - go downtown and hang out. You feel safe at night roaming the downtown streets because there are always a bunch of other people doing the same - going to movies, dinner, or just walking around.

In the summer, they close off a section of downtown to traffic for a weekend and have a huge street party with bands, crafts and food. Throughout the year there are a bunch of other festivals, including a BBQ cookoff and (I kid you not) a Zombiefest.

Lincoln is a city, with city amenities, but has small town charm and friendliness. It's laid out in neighborhoods - Capitol Beach, University Place, Belmont, etc - each of which have their own unique personality and mini-downtown commercial area.

It has four television stations with real reporters and new anchors, plus a zillion radio stations.

There is also a municipal airport right in the city that I usually fly into when I go back, and a larger airport 50 miles away in Omaha.

So! There's Lincoln. Tell me about your home town!

Forrestville, MD...

Densely populated diverse community with convenient shopping within walking distance (Penn Marr Shopping Center).

:dance:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Lisbon, Md.

An elementary school (was a 1-12 school up until two years before I started going there), a gas station/hardware store, a general store, and the local fire department. A DeSoto/Chrysler dealership that had room for two cars in the showroom and about four on the lot. And a small automotive paint and repair shop run by an ancient guy with no teeth that was located on ..White Fools Alley, said alley a shortcut between the general store and the fire department building.

The alley was renamed many decades ago.

E

EmptyTimCup

Born in Biloxi Ms.

Grew up in Balt. Sub. until 3 rd Grade, there Oxon Hill MD all though HS

standard suburban living - in 1981 - 84 we have 4 drive in's in a 15 mile radius
ABC, Ranch [in Clinton], Super Chief, Waldorf 301 drive-in was the farthest away ....

.... Waldorf was quiet little ex gambling center [had slots in the 60's and the Stardust got some decent night club acts I hear] - the mall wasn't even in then ...... the movie theater was in the old borders shopping center - every kid with a car cruised past - until the locals got fed up and the cops ran them off ..... a few video game arcades were around ....

all you can eat @ Chesapeake Bay Seafood & Buffet

there was Iverson and Landover Malls .... or across the bridge into Springfield Va.

riding bikes all day in safe middle class neighborhoods,

down at the river [national harbor property was my playground] swimming in the fifty river

:buddies:

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
:howdy: Military brat here, as well! I lived in Naples, Italy for 5-1/2 years - so that is what I consider my hometown. It was a very different time, late 60's, early 70's. Lots of turmoil in our country at the time, but we were mostly sheltered from that overseas. We had what I would call a very idyllic upbringing there.

We had school field trips to castles & ruins, famous museums & opera houses. To places like Pompeii, Herculaneum, Ischia & Capri. My GS troop visited the Vatican City for the weekend one year, which included an audience with the Pope. Family vacations included trips to all kinds of places including Pisa, Rome, the French Riviera, Barcelona, Spain.

I was born in Akron, OH and lived all up & down the east coast until we moved to Italy. I spent 20 years in Southern MD after my dad retired from the Navy. But I will always consider Naples my hometown.

Bella Napoli! I'm going to go back to visit sometime. :yahoo:

My native land is Ithaca, a sunlit island, low of shore, which lies far out to sea and toward the west. Rugged it is, this land of mine, yet breeds a sturdy youth, and I can find no land more sweet to me than this, my native Ithaca.

But come, for I will tell the many sorrows Zeus sent upon me as I traveled homeward from hapless Troy.

:lol: From the Odyssey. I've spewed about my home town enough on this forum....

Vince

Born and raised in small town Pa. Just like you'd see on TV back in the 50's and 60's. Parents who stayed together all their lives. For entertainment it was Baseball and Football. Oh, not on TV, we actually got outside and played the games. This was our primary entertainment besides work. Yes, our parents actually had us working around the house most of our lives. They were strict, but fair. TV was black and white with an antenna. Didn't know what cable was. And, yes, we actually walked to school up to the 7th grade, uphill, both ways, in the snow or rain.

Last edited:

Wenchy

Hot Flash
Montgomery Village, Md (1978-1983)

Every child's dream with bike trails; a mall; a lake to fish in; a pool in each community (we could use them all) ponds that actually froze in the winter and we could ice skate on. There was also an amphitheater (sp) in the center of The Village and families would take their blankets and picnic dinners to listen to the weekend entertainment. We even had a YMCA with numerous activities.

My Mom still lives there.

I think the same thing happened in MV that has happened in many packed suburbs.

My "hometown" :bawl: