What about......

chuckster

IMFUBARED
What about Bobby Hall, retired LT of St Marys County? He has 20 some years of service and has not fallen into the political mess that is choking the Department.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The Sheriff's effectiveness is really determined by the County Commissioners.  I'd be surprised if an "outsider" could be effective, if by some miracle they got elected in the first place.  It's not so much "could they stand up to the politicos" as "are they going to be able to get their way with the Commissioners".  Standing up to them isn't the way to do that.  You need someone in there who knows how to work the system and has enough pull to get what they want.  Plus that, local ties is what gets these people elected in the first place - they need the money and the backing.  An outsider won't get either of those things.

I really don't see what the big cities have that is so great.  Look at Prince George's County, Montgomery County, Anne Arundel County and the District of Columbia.  Do we really want what they have.  I have to agree with variblonde, that someone with history in the Sheriff's Dept. and time in the county is better.  Their work ethics (good or bad) are usually known to the people and you have a better idea of the kind of Sheriff they will make.  If you get someone from the outside, who knows what their ethics are?  If you want to check out the candidates so far, I've found these sites:
www.davidzylak.com
www.morrisforsheriff.com
www.sacksforsheriff.com
Check them out and see what they think the issues are.

Hello out there!! Has anyone checked the web sites out that I posted?  What do you think?  Maybe it's just too early to think about this?  Any ideas of other candidates thinking of joining the race?

I would encourage anyone who is seriously concerned about the safety and security of their loved ones to vote Mickey M. Bailey for the next sheriff of St. Mary's Conty, MD.
His goals and objectives are clearly stated on his newly-launched website www.baileyforsheriff.com
Mickey vows to work alongside the Commissioners as they provide the necessary funding this important department needs.
Mickey's involvement in the community is commendable, particularly in youth activities and in our schools.
Mickey Bailey is most capable and deserves our support.

Well the candidates keep coming.  I wonder how many there will be before it is all over?  These web sites are a great way to get to alot of people.

DeeJay

Administrator
Staff member
I won't vote for Mickey Bailey solely because of his obnoxious web site.  It is a bad sign if he's so strapped for cash that he had to get his third grader to make his web site.

DeeJay

Administrator
Staff member
In fact, I just looked at all of the sites posted and they all look like the same amateur made them.  Someone young who still wants the immature bells and whistles that are the hallmark of the unprofessional.  Where is a candidate who actually cares about his web presence?

VAslim- you are certainly welcome to pick and vote your choice for sheriff by whatever means you see fit (assuming you are a registered voter in St. Mary's County, MD). I know a person who handicaps horses solely by the color of their socks . Therefore, it doesn't  surprise me that you came to so many conclusions simply by clicking on a website. Nevertheless,what disturbs me is that you may be someone who excercises their right to vote without doing their homework. This is not a $2 bet on a set of bright colored socks! This is far more serious and deserves a closer look. Thanks!                                                                   www.baileyforsheriff.com 

DeeJay

Administrator
Staff member
This is nothing personal against any of the candidates.  I'm only saying that if I get to the main page of the website and its so obnoxious that I don't want to go any further it makes a poor first impression.  If your the designer and I've offended you I'm sorry.  But the candidates should take their internet presence seriously as its the most comprehensive form of advertising they will do.

GSragtop

I certainly do not believe a web site is a way to judge a persons ability to be Sheriff.  Being fairly new to the community (and yes a resistered voter) I would like to see some actual dialog about the canidates not this childish BS about who's web site is better.  
In my opinion emptysky57 you are not helping Mr. Baileys bid, although you did inspire me to look at his web site and I must say his message is weak as is his education.  Thanks to your inspiration Mr. Baily will not likely get another look from me.  

GSragtop- Welcome to the "community"- I am happy that you, at least, took the time to visit baileyforsheriff.com before arriving at your conclusion. I value the opinions of others even if they are contrary to my own. However, Mickey Bailey remains my choice. Best of luck to you.

charlie

"The Sheriff's effectiveness is really determined by the County Commissioners" You've got to be kidding. The Commissioners OK the budget the sheriff and anyone he appoints, spends the money. You need to be very careful who you put in that spot. We need a manager who can run a business on a budget.

mdemt

St. Marys county Sheriff race

After reading all of the previous postings it seems that alot of people think that our new Sheriff should be someone from the outside and who had been a BIG City Cop. Have you checked out Tom Sacks? He is a retired Captain from the Metroploitan Police Dept in Washington DC. He is a county resident and does work for the St. Marys county Sheriffs department in an administrative position. Check out his website at www.sacksforsheriff.com or come out and meet Tom and his wife!

charlie

Sacks is the current Human Resources guy for the Voorharr administration. I thinks that makes him and inside guy, don't you?