Cat hanging around

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
This is the third time I've seen this little guy hanging around my woods this summer. No collar, his coat, eyes and ears look real clean. He was watching me cut the grass. I put the tractor away and walked toward him, he kept his distance and gave a small meow. I went to the house and got a bowl of food and water and sat down with it. He eventually came out and pigged out! He was within a foot of me and let me touch his ears but ran back to the woods. Then came out and ate some more with me sitting there. When he was full he left. An hour later I looked outside and he's sitting at the bowls.

You think he's feral or someone's out door cat? He is a small one. Do I try to catch him? Leave him be? I don't really have any neighbors and I haven't seen any missing signs. I'm not really a cat person, but I am stuck with one from the soon to be ex. I feel bad for the little guy/girl...

Attachments

• 2012-09-07_18-02-13_727.jpg
    2012-09-07_18-02-13_727.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 151

Bay_Kat

Tropical
This is the third time I've seen this little guy hanging around my woods this summer. No collar, his coat, eyes and ears look real clean. He was watching me cut the grass. I put the tractor away and walked toward him, he kept his distance and gave a small meow. I went to the house and got a bowl of food and water and sat down with it. He eventually came out and pigged out! He was within a foot of me and let me touch his ears but ran back to the woods. Then came out and ate some more with me sitting there. When he was full he left. An hour later I looked outside and he's sitting at the bowls.

You think he's feral or someone's out door cat? He is a small one. Do I try to catch him? Leave him be? I don't really have any neighbors and I haven't seen any missing signs. I'm not really a cat person, but I am stuck with one from the soon to be ex. I feel bad for the little guy/girl...

He looks like a sweetie. You fed him, he yours now. :killingme

sm8

We just recently had one start hanging around. He has a collar with tag but will not get close enough to be touched.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Would you like to borrow a .22?
Invasive species like feral cats are very destructive to the native fauna

Roman

What are you going to name him?

It's a cutie!

That's how we got ours.... :lol:

People don't adopt cats. Cats adopt people.

:yeahthat: I'm not really a cat person either. I avoided talking to or feeding the stray that began hanging around our house for an entire month. At that point I realized he wasn't going anywhere and he really was a sweet guy so I had him vetted including neutering and now his name is Smokey and I lubs him though he is still entirely an outdoor cat. He helps me garden and clean my truck and walk the dogs and etc.

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
So, do I leave it an outdoor cat or try to bring it in? Like I said, I allready have 1 indoor only cat.

If I catch it I'll make sure it goes to the vet and gets checked out and fixed.

Can you imagine if it is someone elses cat and it goes home fixed... "WTH happened to my cat?" (I'm sure I'll be doing everyone a favor though) We have enough unwanted animals out there. :(

animalluvr4life

animal luvr
if u can get him/her to warm up to you i would try and bring it in and let it be and indoor/outdoor kitty for a little then try and convert it to strictly indoors that way you have less to worry about disease wise etc or the cat getting hurt by something and you having huge medical bills

Roman

So, do I leave it an outdoor cat or try to bring it in? Like I said, I allready have 1 indoor only cat.

If I catch it I'll make sure it goes to the vet and gets checked out and fixed.

Can you imagine if it is someone elses cat and it goes home fixed... "WTH happened to my cat?" (I'm sure I'll be doing everyone a favor though) We have enough unwanted animals out there. :(
I wouldn't bring him in the house, and around your other Cat until he is tested, and vaccinated. He might have something the other Cat could catch. It's funny..but I was never a Cat Person until we moved here. We had about 20 Ferals, that I caught, Fixed, and had Immunized. I kept 4 of the little guys, and found homes for the others. I think Ferals make the best Companions, because they really appreciate everything you give them. I think you should start a Name the Kitty Thread! Let me be the FIRST to offer a suggestion...."Domino".

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
In my 'hood cats tend to become community property. Claudia used to go mooch food from my neighbor all the time and Gidget makes the rounds in a limited area. Kiki stays put and contents herself with supervising the migrants to whom she has outsourced her rodent catching duties.

The cat most likely belongs to someone, so I'd say leave him be for now.

animalluvr4life

animal luvr
I wouldn't bring him in the house, and around your other Cat until he is tested, and vaccinated. He might have something the other Cat could catch. It's funny..but I was never a Cat Person until we moved here. We had about 20 Ferals, that I caught, Fixed, and had Immunized. I kept 4 of the little guys, and found homes for the others. I think Ferals make the best Companions, because they really appreciate everything you give them. I think you should start a Name the Kitty Thread! Let me be the FIRST to offer a suggestion...."Domino".

i never said bring him in now..i would do the same thing have cat tested etc before bringing him/her into the home i just meant getting him her warmed up to you so when the time comes you can bring him/her in with no issues. I had a kitten hanging around here that i think someone snatched when it finally started to warm up to me. I told the locals i wanted the kitten and guess they thought otherwise and one of them took it.

twinoaks207

Having Fun!
Ours is one of two ferals that were just "hanging out". The other one was friendlier & daughter adopted him, did the vet thing and then turned him into an indoor cat when she moved.

This one looks almost identical and was very, very skittish. Took a long time to get it to come close to people. We thought it was the other cat's sister. Daughter finally caught it to take it to vet's for shots & to make arrangements to get it fixed. We then found out someone had beat us to it and "she" was really a "he". He is now chipped and hanging out with us as an outdoor cat because of family allergies. He loves the salmon "treats" and accompanies us on our outdoor tasks long enough to see what we are doing, then he finds a place to nap & guard us. He's our watch cat and pretty much sticks around (probably for the regular meals, petting, brushing & treats). It's so funny to see the birds still at the feeders around him -- he just watches them for half a minute & then goes back to sleep. :lol:

StadEMS3

PREMO Member
Thanx for all the good advice and comments, except for you Aps..;) I'll leave him be, feed him and if he warms up more I'll get him vetted. :buddies:

dawn

Are you around Myrtle Point Road in California?

Crewdawg141

IYAMYAS!!!!!
Thanx for all the good advice and comments, except for you Aps..;) I'll leave him be, feed him and if he warms up more I'll get him vetted. :buddies:

Just remember that in St. Mary's County if you feed an animal for 2 weeks it is considered yours by Animal Control. I found this out when asking some questions about feral animals.

I am happy to see that I am not the only sucker on here that has been adopted by a cat. My cat took forever to warm up to me, after finally getting her vetted and spayed she is turning into a demanding little love bug that talks to me and follows me all over the yard.